The Dis Exclusive City of Knights and Lights Trip 10/8 - 10/17/2012

Glad the Brits have a sense of humor!

247749_10151038327047373_1835189415_n.jpeg

whodini said:
We got ours yesterday, but unfortunately I'm traveling for work. Luckily my wife was kind enough to wait until I get home later today so we can open it together.

Is anyone getting there early interested in going up to the Harry Potter studio tour on Monday morning? They open up at 10am and we'll probably do the 1st or 2nd entry of the day.

Hi,

Just a word of caution on this. You'll nee to purchase tickets in advance of taking the tour as they don't sell them on-site.

As its a bit of a trek from anywhere you'll be staying, wouldn't want you to have a wasted journey getting there and being turned away for not having tickets - and they will turn you away (my sister works there).

I'm by no means a big Harry Potter fan (don't even know most of their names) but the tour is superbly put together. Expect to see the same level of detail as in WWoHP minus the rides. There's even some butter beer to be had :)

Have fun!

I really want to do the Harry Potter tour except it would take up an entire day with travel and the tour it's self. Monday would also be the only day I could do it except not sure if we would get back in time for the ABD welcome dinner which is supposdly at 5. We would have no choice but to do the 10 a.m. tour and there is a bus that you can buy that will take you to the doors for 55 pounds per adult(actually includes tickets to the tour according to the website)that picks you up in Central London.
If everything happens in the way stated on the website we should be getting back around 3 or 4 in the afternoon but if for some reason stuff is backed up or the bus left without us for some reason we wouldn't make it back before 5 for dinner and I just don't want to 'risk' that and getting off to the adventure at a bad start.

I also was hoping to have that day be a 'relaxed' day since we will be nonstop from when the adventure starts and I would like to make sure I'm well rested.

Sunday is out because I want to do the London Walks 'Magical Mystery Tour', which is obviously about the Beatles. That is at 11 a.m. and takes about 3 hours much like Harry Potter and wanted to do Camden at night(or whatever we didn't do Saturday that I wanted to do). Edit: Oh yeah and no tickets are available that day anyway I see, so it's not an option. :P

Correction: according to google maps it takes about 38 minutes to get there by car. Not sure why the bus times have it for almost an hour and a half. If the return trip at 1:30 is only half an hour like google maps states this might be do-able! So long as I could print the tickets at home. I know there is a train however I'd much rather get picked up and dropped off in front of the studio than take the train and wait for the shuttle bus(which I'm finding is about 2 pounds a person to ride to the studio from the train station).

Well Ryan and I talked about it all day today and he seems interested in taking the train there which, after he explained it to me, isn't as complicated as I thought and for once showed interest in wanting an excuse to take a ride on the train so I'm buying tickets to this tonight for the 10 a.m. tour. They are still available for Monday if we take that tour we should have more than enough time to get back to the hotel for dinner that evening so long as the trains are running.

I have yet to see one negative review for it so I think I would be stupid not to do it. I'm actually a pretty big Harry Potter fan but not as rabid as some. I've read the books and seen most of the films in theaters. I'm a much bigger fan of the secondary characters than the main ones though but still loved the films but still thought the books were much better.

Edit: Ryan and I have tickets purchased to be picked up when we get there. We will be getting up eating breakfast and taking the bus to the train station and taking a train to watford junction and catching the shuttle from there to the studios. the shuttle isn't free by the way it's about 2 pounds according to the website, and from what I hear so is the regular bus to get to the train station. I weighed the pros and cons and this seems to cool to pass up!

Just wanted to pop in and wish you all a very happy ABD trip. Last years was AMAZING, and I'm sure this one will be no different. A few of us from last years trip will be meeting for F&W while you are gone. We will think of you as we stand in "Paris". :lovestruc

Well Ryan and I talked about it all day today and he seems interested in taking the train there which, after he explained it to me, isn't as complicated as I thought and for once showed interest in wanting an excuse to take a ride on the train so I'm buying tickets to this tonight for the 10 a.m. tour. They are still available for Monday if we take that tour we should have more than enough time to get back to the hotel for dinner that evening so long as the trains are running.

I have yet to see one negative review for it so I think I would be stupid not to do it. I'm actually a pretty big Harry Potter fan but not as rabid as some. I've read the books and seen most of the films in theaters. I'm a much bigger fan of the secondary characters than the main ones though but still loved the films but still thought the books were much better.

Edit: Ryan and I have tickets purchased to be picked up when we get there. We will be getting up eating breakfast and taking the bus to the train station and taking a train to watford junction and catching the shuttle from there to the studios. the shuttle isn't free by the way it's about 2 pounds according to the website, and from what I hear so is the regular bus to get to the train station. I weighed the pros and cons and this seems to cool to pass up!

I bought our tickets for the 10am entrance. Also planning to take the train up there. Looks like the main station that they recommend is only a few blocks up from the hotel - no need to take the bus as far as I can tell. One thing down, a million more to go before next weekend!

Just wanted to pop in and wish you all a very happy ABD trip. Last years was AMAZING, and I'm sure this one will be no different. A few of us from last years trip will be meeting for F&W while you are gone. We will think of you as we stand in "Paris". :lovestruc

I'll second that! The trip last year was fantastic. I hope you all have as an amazing of an experience...but how can you not with great locations and great people to travel with? I look forward to hearing about the trip.

I bought our tickets for the 10am entrance. Also planning to take the train up there. Looks like the main station that they recommend is only a few blocks up from the hotel - no need to take the bus as far as I can tell. One thing down, a million more to go before next weekend!

I think Ryan suggested the bus because it's about a mile to the train station from the hotel. That's A LOT of walking and standing for one day though, if I decide to do that instead of the bus. I'm going to be exhausted by dinner time. :faint: I guess I'll see how I feel that day, the bus is pretty cheap though.

Sorry for missing chat again tonight, totally forgot it was thursday again! I better remember next week since I leave for london the following day! :yay:

I also agree! FABULOUS trip!

I hope all you guys have a MARVELOUS time on this year's trip, but how could you not?

I sure wish I could join you guys at F&W... be sure & have a drink for me!

Sayhello

I think Ryan suggested the bus because it's about a mile to the train station from the hotel. That's A LOT of walking and standing for one day though, if I decide to do that instead of the bus. I'm going to be exhausted by dinner time. :faint:
You might as well get used to it! :goodvibes

Sayhello

You might as well get used to it! :goodvibes

Sayhello

So I hear! ;)

I guess it would be a good dry run for the rest of the trip to see how truly worn out I'll be. At least I'll sleep well for the first day of the adventure, I'm a very light sleeper and I don't often sleep well when excited unless I'm exhausted, vicious cycle I tell you! :p

And oh my 7 days and counting!!!!!! :dance3::banana::banana:

I really want to do the Harry Potter tour except it would take up an entire day with travel and the tour it's self. Monday would also be the only day I could do it except not sure if we would get back in time for the ABD welcome dinner which is supposdly at 5. We would have no choice but to do the 10 a.m. tour and there is a bus that you can buy that will take you to the doors for 55 pounds per adult(actually includes tickets to the tour according to the website)that picks you up in Central London.
If everything happens in the way stated on the website we should be getting back around 3 or 4 in the afternoon but if for some reason stuff is backed up or the bus left without us for some reason we wouldn't make it back before 5 for dinner and I just don't want to 'risk' that and getting off to the adventure at a bad start.

I also was hoping to have that day be a 'relaxed' day since we will be nonstop from when the adventure starts and I would like to make sure I'm well rested.

Sunday is out because I want to do the London Walks 'Magical Mystery Tour', which is obviously about the Beatles. That is at 11 a.m. and takes about 3 hours much like Harry Potter and wanted to do Camden at night(or whatever we didn't do Saturday that I wanted to do). Edit: Oh yeah and no tickets are available that day anyway I see, so it's not an option. :P

Correction: according to google maps it takes about 38 minutes to get there by car. Not sure why the bus times have it for almost an hour and a half. If the return trip at 1:30 is only half an hour like google maps states this might be do-able! So long as I could print the tickets at home. I know there is a train however I'd much rather get picked up and dropped off in front of the studio than take the train and wait for the shuttle bus(which I'm finding is about 2 pounds a person to ride to the studio from the train station).

I was wanting to try and do a Beatles tour Tuesday after lunch if that is possible. Are there any other tours? Would we have enough time?

We would try to do this one, but our flight gets in at 10AM Sunday so I am thinking we will be at the hotel around 1? Gonna try and hit Churchills rooms that afternoon.

I was wanting to try and do a Beatles tour Tuesday after lunch if that is possible. Are there any other tours? Would we have enough time?

We would try to do this one, but our flight gets in at 10AM Sunday so I am thinking we will be at the hotel around 1? Gonna try and hit Churchills rooms that afternoon.
Do check out London Walks' website: http://www.walks.com/ They have very detailed schedules there.

http://www.walks.com/London_Walks_Home/London_Walks_by_Date/default.aspx

I did a Harry Potter tour with them, and it was Fabulous! I wish I'd scheduled several more tours with them.

Sayhello

ETA: Here's the schedule for Tuesday, October 9, 2012:

Tuesday, October 9
9:15am STONEHENGE & SALISBURY The Great Escape!
10:30am BEHIND CLOSED DOORS IN THE WEST END
10:30am SECRETS & SPLENDOURS OF ST. PAUL'S
10:45am SECRET LONDON
11:20am THE BEATLES 'IN MY LIFE' WALK
2:00pm BEHIND CLOSED DOORS IN THE CITY
2:00pm OLD WESTMINSTER 1,000 Years of History
2:00pm SOMEWHERE ELSE' LONDON
2:15pm PAST THE PALACE Hidden Places & Hidden History
2:15pm THE OLYMPICS WALK
2:30pm LITERARY BLOOMSBURY & THE OLD MUSEUM QUARTER
6:15pm BRUNEL'S THAMES TUNNEL
7:00pm THE HIDDEN PUBS OF OLD LONDON TOWN
7:30pm GHOSTS OF THE OLD CITY
7:30pm THE JACK THE RIPPER TOUR

'Sayhello' beat me but yes check the London Walks website. They have two Beatles Tours and I got lucky with 'The Magical Mystery' Tour being on Sunday and getting there Saturday. Both tours go to Abbey Road but there is nothing stopping you from going to Abbey Road yourself if you can't do a walk. I love that Abbey Road studios has a 24 hour web cam on the crossing!

Abbey Road Crossing webcam Really fun to watch if you're bored I say look for us around noon on Sunday london time I might be there. ;)

If I wasn't able to make the walk I would have just looked up the spots myself and went, I know enough about the Beatles without doing the Walk but I thought this would be more fun and I'd get to meet other Beatles nuts in the process. That's the one thing about traveling I like is meeting new people if I can.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do the Museums I wanted to do since I'm doing Harry Potter on Monday now but I'll just have to try and see what kind of time I have when I get there. Much like here the Museums aren't open past 5 or 6 in the evening. I'll have to save shopping for the evenings and tourist stuff during the day if I can. So much I want to do so little time. :crazy2:

I found one that starts at 2! What time will we get out of Harrods and will we have neough time to make it?

http://www.beatles-beatles-beatles.com/tour1.html

Also, how long does it take to get through customs? I am assuming we will have to go through Sunday morning when we get to London, when we arrive at Paris, and when we come back to the US. We are connecting in Toronto on the way back, but I dont think we have to go through there also, or do we?

Thanks!

If anyone is headed back to London after the adventure...

Source URL: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disneys-fantasia-footage-enjoy-live-orchestra-london-375725

Disney's 'Fantasia' Footage to Get Live London Philharmonic Orchestra Accompaniment

9:15 AM PDT 10/2/2012 by Stuart Kemp
[2]
Walt Disney
Footage from Walt Disney’s original "Fantasia" and Disney’s "Fantasia 2000" will be projected in HD at the Royal Albert Hall event in London.

LONDON -- The London Philharmonic Orchestra is to showcase a selection of music from Walt Disney’s original Fantasia and Disney’s Fantasia 2000 at the Royal Albert Hall complete with extracts from the films in high definition.

The one off concert, billed as a U.K. premiere of the animation footage and symphonic music is scheduled for Oct. 21.

The show will include a selection of the repertoire from the original 1940 version of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 including Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker Suite and Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue.

The music will be performed live while iconic moments from Disney’s footage -- including Mickey Mouse as he dabbles in magic in Dukas’ The Sorcerer’s Apprentice and the mythical unicorns and winged horses that accompany Beethoven’s "Pastoral" Symphony -- are shown on the big screen.

Royal Albert Hall COO Jasper Hope said: "Over 70 years since its original release, Disney’s stunning visuals and Stokowski’s timeless soundtrack continue to be treasured by audiences of all ages. These high-definition screenings, accompanied by the live performance of some of the most memorable classical music ever composed, will bring this unforgettable experience to an entirely new generation.”

Disney's Jonathan Heely, executive producer, has been connected with Fantasia since preparing music for the digital soundtrack recording in 1982.

"I am so pleased that new technology, film restoration, and support of Disney Animation make it possible for orchestras to recreate Fantasia’s magic in the concert hall."

Disney’s Fantasia is the latest film to be presented with a live orchestra as part of a cinematic experience at the Royal Albert Hall.

It follows the successful sold out performances of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Matrix and will follow the European premiere of the 50th Anniversary of West Side Story in June.

Just got back to the states yesterday after a long day hopping planes and airports. Not happy to come home and notice a hurricane coming right for us! That and I need to go food shopping because I have no food in the house having been away for almost 3 weeks plus so now I get to shop with all of the people going crazy over this storm.

Did want to pop in and say thanks to everyone for this absolutely amazing trip of a life time! I missed everyone after the end of the ABD adventure. The second half of my vacation was just as awesome but it was certainly missing something the previous part had, I REALLY missed the adventure guides, Adam and Landon. The adventure guides on the ABD trips are worth the price and more, truly amazing trip, not enough adjectives in the english language to describe it!

I plan on a trip report at some point but it will be LONG and probably take months. We took(well actually my husband did) a ton of pictures and that will probably be what holds back the reports since I want to post pictures with it but I obviously have to pick and choose, we took to many to share.

Thanks again to both Dreams Unlimited Travel, and Adventures by Disney for this trip, truly Magical!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter