The DIS Needs More Non-Local Input

StraightToDumbo

Monorails kill dreams.
...and here's why. Everyone on these panels sees things from an "I do this for a living" perspective. They are in the parks all the time. They see the same shtick time and again. They get worn out and jaded on things. That's human nature.

HOWEVER, most people are looking for information and advice on a yearly, or perhaps one single lifetime trip to Disney World. Everything is fresh, new, and prime for enjoyment. I think the panel needs to draw perhaps DIS members who are on vacation in the area that week to provide a less jaded opinion on things. A lot of what is talked about on these podcasts is clearly based on a local perception which can be massively different from an out-of-towner view.

I haven't been to Disney since I was a kid, however DH and I are taking our 6yo in December so I've been listening quite a bit. I've been finding their information really helpful as someone who isn't a regular or even a recent guest. I've noticed that they will take care to preface a lot of information with "for those of you who aren't familiar with...", which is nice. I especially love the Best & Worst segments.

I do think it would be kind of fun to pull in a person or two in the parks do a quick segment where they ask what their favorite and least favorite thing about the day has been. They could prerecord a whole slew of them and then insert them into each episode. I remember someone mentioning that idea on one of the older episodes and I thought it was a really great idea to keep things fresh.

And I remember about a year or so ago when somebody complained they felt that since they were locals, they never went to the parks, which is when Pete said they HAD to be in the parks more. I also suggest if you want them to have more of an "out of towner" perspective, why not write and submit articles? Then we'd have THAT perspective. Hard to have an entire staff comprised entirely of once-in-a-life-timers, or out of towners. They also just VERY recently had a vlog about what they do to renew their own interest in things/love of WDW, so they do admit it can happen, and they do work to overcome it.

And I remember about a year or so ago when somebody complained they felt that since they were locals, they never went to the parks, which is when Pete said they HAD to be in the parks more. I also suggest if you want them to have more of an "out of towner" perspective, why not write and submit articles? Then we'd have THAT perspective. Hard to have an entire staff comprised entirely of once-in-a-life-timers, or out of towners. They also just VERY recently had a vlog about what they do to renew their own interest in things/love of WDW, so they do admit it can happen, and they do work to overcome it.

Great idea, Heidi. I'll have to look into the process of article writing. I was speaking more to the podcasts, though. You can't deny that a lot of the content on the podcasts is based on the panel members "being tired" of certain things. That's purely a local perspective that out-of-towners can't relate to.

As an official writer and reviewer on a number of other forums (completely different topics) I am happy to submit some articles in written and video form for further review.... how would I do that?

It is incredibly hard to put together a podcast or vlog with all fresh faces to the parks. The information that would be given out would be terrible. Perhaps the team could invite a once in a lifer on every once in a while or have a call in and gice us your opinion about X Y Z podcast day but it would never be sustainable. To be an expert (which is why people listen) you have to go. Also if you listen to DL and WDW podcasts you can tell the quality of recording suffers since their team does not meet in the same spot but instead call in where as WDW team is 99% of the time in the studio with studio equipment.

If it helps, I'm planning on "Lady and Tramp-ing" a Cozy Cones bread cone with Mary Jo when I visit DCA in a couple of weeks, and will report afterwards.

I'm not a local.

:teeth:

Thank you, I was going to come on and link to it this afternoon. You beat me to it. ;)

It is incredibly hard to put together a podcast or vlog with all fresh faces to the parks. The information that would be given out would be terrible. Perhaps the team could invite a once in a lifer on every once in a while or have a call in and gice us your opinion about X Y Z podcast day but it would never be sustainable. To be an expert (which is why people listen) you have to go. Also if you listen to DL and WDW podcasts you can tell the quality of recording suffers since their team does not meet in the same spot but instead call in where as WDW team is 99% of the time in the studio with studio equipment.

We really do try, though.

:teeth:

Thank you, I was going to come on and link to it this afternoon. You beat me to it. ;)

We really do try, though.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and you guys do awesome with what you have. Sorry if it didn't come off that way! Hope to meet you all at D23 Expo this weekend. I truly do love that podcast so don't want to seem like I was being critical just pointing out how difficult it can be when people aren't in the same room.

Pete has also mentioned a few times that they are looking for more video contributors, just just article writers. I think the point in doing so is to get other perspectives, see things through someone else's eyes.

Pete has also mentioned a few times that they are looking for more video contributors, just just article writers. I think the point in doing so is to get other perspectives, see things through someone else's eyes.
Yes, Steve, thanx - I was thinking that too, but forgot to mention vlogs/videos in my post.

I’m not a Florida local, but lost my rose colored glasses long ago. Even without the glasses WDW doesn’t come close to being out of date, unmaintained or lacking new adventures as a few shows may touch on sometimes. The opinions of some individuals not so closely involved with the local WDW culture could deliver a less “been there; done that; got the T-shirt” point of view.

Of course there are problems but Disney will never allow its CASH COW go too far off track.

G’day
III

Last edited:
I wonder what type of equipment is really needed. I remember Steve and Ryno sharing earbuds and skypeing from the parks.

They really should just have Steve grab a random guest for his weekly in park segment. He should try to get one wearing a yellow shirt and carrying a flag if he can, or maybe a single mom with three kids and her 86 year old grandfather in an ECV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter