The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Since I own my own business, (electrical contractor), I'm not much help on the benefits. My business is just me, (boss) and DW, (bookkeeper). I turned 65 last year so got on Medicare, with what I was paying in health insurance premiums, I never thought I would look forward to being 65 but there it was, now as far as the job, I actually like what I do, I do mostly ag work, (think irrigation systems, grain bins, etc.) plus I'm also a electric motor repair and rewind shop. Since getting older, some of the physical stuff I have either cut back on or don't do anymore, ( I don't climb poles with a ladder anymore) but just the other day I was finding a bad underground wire and walked around 5 miles before noon around a pivot system, so I feel blessed that I can still do that physically, I know a lot of people my age that stay home, can't hardly walk, etc. If you're not happy at your current job, I don't know if benefits or higher pay outweigh the stress it causes you. Only you can make that decision, but I wish the best and make the decision that you are happy with and what will enhance your life.

@snowmedic PTO can be accrued. I left a job where I had tenure and 27 days of time off plus 10 holidays because the new jobs benefits and working environment was good for me. Now I get 3 weeks time off but that increases with tenure. The other benefits I get far outweigh what I left.

At the age of 50, if you can find a job where you can leverage your skills and avoid the weather extremes and eventually earn more time off, I think you will think it's all worth it if the benefits and pay outweigh what you have today. I feel like at that point you could easily push yourself into a job that doesnt require so much back breaking work and still leverage your knowledge from the industry.

PS: The best advice I ever got was "Find a an opportunity you want to run toward rather then try to run away from the current problems.

Successful afternoon. New belt, tensioner and idler pulleys on the tow vehicle. The belt wasn't as bad as I thought, but the bushing in one of the idlers was coming apart.

Hoses felt better than I thought. Those will wait for another day.

20200418_150433_copy_2304x1296.jpg

j

I was talking with some DIS friends this morning and we were talking about how there isn't much room to work under the hood of vehicles anymore compared to some of our cars from yesteryear (won't say what decade). Here are 2 pics of all the room I had to replace 10 feet of serpentine belt. It only had to wind around 10 different pulleys. This truck had more room than some vehicles I've done. At least I didn't have to disconnect motor mounts and raise the engine (Buick Skylark, I'm talking to you)

20200418_133647_copy_1296x2304.jpg 20200418_133532_copy_1296x2304.jpg

j

Vince, I left a great job little over 3 yrs ago & decided to retire. We had a new CFO which is a jerk & a new president which is right up there with the CFO. All we became was a number. Lost a good salary, but my life is so much better. Arnold decided to do the same. His company was bought out & not a nice place to work. He was with this company 35 yrs. So, I know you are way too young to retire. Go with your heart. If you are not happy, not good for your health. I hope your interview went great!

Well that was a no-go. Pay was better but absolutely no benefits, none what so ever. :mad:

Sorry to hear Vince, truly am. Good pay without benefits makes no long term sense. Sounds like they weren't really looking for anyone commited.

Spent the better part of the morning taking measurements of all the lights on the outside of the motorhome then looking them up online to get a price to replace with LED. Etrailer had all but the headlights, those ones are going to break me :crazy2:. Will take before and after day and night pics when they come in and they get replaced.

Also ordering my digital wireless 3 camera system for the MH Wednesday and my cb and NGP ( no ground plane ) antenna mount. With the style mirrors I have, i have to mount the antenna on the fiberglass of the MH. Then I can finish the front console that I started.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter