The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Just curious why don't the cabinets go to the ceiling?
In order to fix the depth issue we are waiting for a panel once that goes in then they will do the crown molding to get to the ceiling. So we are expecting a few more things. The right side of the tall cabinet is for washer and dryer so it was more custom. The big unhappy is the doors even the front trim plates are the wood but the doors are not. Hopefully we can get the correct doors or new ones that are wood.

then bert comes up with a brilliant idea to do a pocket door. It’s a great idea and helps my space out but sure would have been good to think about that 4 weeks ago when electrician was here and walls were open. I think we are still going to ask about it 🤦🏻‍♀️

Remains of Zeta came through NW GA still blowing hard. I didn't sleep much last night as the wind kept me awake thinking about the tree limbs falling on the house, truck, or camper.

Fortunately, all of those made it out OK, but from my front porch I see this...:eek:
That's my tree laying there.

This is my neighbor's driveway.

I spent the day cutting it up. Got most of it cut. Their driveway and the road is clear anyway. It's a bit big for my 18" chainsaw, but doable.

Good things about this....
No Damage to anything valuable.
I planning on paying someone to cut this tree down anyway. (I was afraid it was going to fall:o)
Once I finish cutting it up it should make good firewood. Maybe keep some of it for a woodworking/craft project. It's Oak.

In order to fix the depth issue we are waiting for a panel once that goes in then they will do the crown molding to get to the ceiling. So we are expecting a few more things. The right side of the tall cabinet is for washer and dryer so it was more custom. The big unhappy is the doors even the front trim plates are the wood but the doors are not. Hopefully we can get the correct doors or new ones that are wood.

then bert comes up with a brilliant idea to do a pocket door. It’s a great idea and helps my space out but sure would have been good to think about that 4 weeks ago when electrician was here and walls were open. I think we are still going to ask about it 🤦🏻‍♀️
Would a barn door work?

Would a barn door work?
Funny you should mention that Denise. I was internet searching on pocket doors and then something came up on barn door and yes while not ideal i do think we could make the work. Obviously it is about finding the right door and hardware. Need something a little sleeker than a big barn door but it would be a much easier and cheaper solution to pocket door. We are going to look at that :).

Kris,

I was also going to suggest barn doors. I've done both pocket and barn (sliding track) doors. The pocket doors need to be built AS the wall. If there are any utilities (wiring, plumbing, HVAC) on the wall, they have to be moved or you have a really thick wall.

Here are some pics of more modern or contemporary "barn doors". These would look pretty slick with the tile.

Custom-Bathroom-23.jpg

frosted-glass-3-panel-barn-door.jpg

Forever-Young-Hampton-Inn-Mirrored-Sliding-Barn-Door-for-Bathroom-and-Closet.jpg

61JGD35qHpL._AC_SX355_.jpg

chestnut-black-steves-sons-barn-doors-bdfrn-ctbk-30slb-64_1000.jpg

j

@Teamubr yes i have been looking and looking at something similar to the 2 pic you posted :). Yeah my concern with the pocket is a lot to move, well two electric things. Leaning towards the barn door if we can make it work and something similar to picture 2, but I also like the last one as well.

Painting blitz is happening this weekend. We bought everything we needed last night. This morning was prep work in the bathroom. At noon started the coat (second coat on walls and ceiling, contractor did first coat) of primer. i will say it right now I hate painting the ceiling. At 3:30 started the white on the ceiling. Finished that and color on walls about 6. Ordered take out. Sitting around and resting while paint dries. need to talk Mallory out and at 8:30 starting the second coat of white on the ceiling. Want to get that ceiling stuff done. Then tomorrow second coat of color on walls.

one more hour to go of painting for the night. Pics tomorrow after we pull all the drop clothes off.

I guess now is not the time to tell you I worked as a house painter when I was in college. Learned all kinds of skills. Plastering, drywall, wallpapering.

I would have painted the bathroom for a good sushi meal.

j

I guess now is not the time to tell you I worked as a house painter when I was in college. Learned all kinds of skills. Plastering, drywall, wallpapering.

I would have painted the bathroom for a good sushi meal.

j

I have a fabulous sushi restaurant. Not walking distance but worth the 20 minute drive. Done with ceiling, hopefully. Will check in the morning, but I think it will be fine. Not sure I am running tomorrow and good thing I get an extra hour of sleep tonight.

In general painting is done in the bathroom. Color turned out darker than expected but we like it. Hopefully Monday we have a counter top and sink and then plumber Tuesday to do the rest. We do have to get new baseboard and paint that. The shower door is being worked on so hopefully in two weeks. Final thing will probably be the doors on the cabinets.

Before paint

EDA6E3A9-14FC-4182-AEE5-9A4E46D82BF4.jpeg

same look after paint

D2B3319C-C5F7-4B1C-A6A2-BDC630F1F837.jpeg

other views after paint

EC1E8475-FC5E-4C7B-87A5-984537A1C719.jpeg

C35BCB2E-089A-4697-9EF1-B9F26501F0DC.jpeg

6D7BB54B-612D-4A96-B584-78F9314851AC.jpeg

Looking good.

Did you come to an agreement on the cabinet doors?

j

Not yet. They were going to speak to the cabinet company. I dislike them less than Bert, however if they want our business for the kitchen remodel, we will have to have a discussion. The cabinets are Wellborn so will see what happens.

@garneska Great paint work, it's not easy to cut clean lines. I get calls from friends to help often because I am pretty good and fast at painting. I guess working for a painter in MD for a few months helped with that.

Don't back down on the cabinets, a proper solution can be found by the contractor and/or manufacturer. Also make sure what you had in your contract. If the information supplied stated the door would be solid wood/etc and hold their feet to the fire. It is a pain, and conflict sucks. Use fact and data to help you through it.

This weekend I helped a friend with his Church Home pulling cable to light up the whole place with wifi. Due to its age, thick walls and a LOT of lat and plaster, I had to put up 3 APs just to get good coverage. I also helped with other stuff. Their goal is to get out of their temp residence and in the Church by Thanksgiving.

Only downside is I did not get the gravel work done on my driveway yet and after Zetas soaking rains the sides of the driveway are soft and I put a tire off more the once. At this point I think a plate compactor and back fill with gravel will save my bacon long term.

Today is Bert’s birthday and all he was hoping for was a counter to be installed. It was not. I am hoping for a washing machine by the end of the week. Am expecting neither to happen. May have to laundromat it this weekend.

we did put up shelves turning old laundry room into new pantry.

image.jpg

this allowed us to clean out old pantry and engine room. Next is to work on the storage unit some.

mallory has been unhappy lately. She is chirping a lot and waking me up in the middle of the night. I am trained as well as Maddie, she chirps at night and I go lay on the floor with her and she stops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!