The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Got tree put up in my office...

th

Well after a 4 month wait we got our camper back from the shop, just in time to winterize it and store it. Good news is that the warranty covered two ac units which where bad. Also the dealer cover the leveling system that was going crazy, turns up back in May I had one of the hydraulic Jack's replaced that was leaking hydraulic fluid. The tech crossed the two hydraulic lines and the system never worked correctly since. Fingers crossed all the bugs have been fixed.

Glad you finally got the camper back, we need to get our back to the dealer so the can fix the GFCI and bathroom fan.

I cancelled our trip a few weeks back.

As we approached our 60 day mark and I was trying to figure how many park days we needed so I could be prepared to book our fast passes on day 60. Well, I soon discovered their new changed their ticket timeline structure. Now, it really bothers me on several things that have changed over the course of a few years. Seems like lots of changes, but none that seems to benefit us, the family campers. Trails End cost us $21 for an adult dinner the first year we went, six years later that price is now almost double.

The straw that broke this camel's back is the new ticket policy.

Once I read the new ticket policy on the MDE I headed over the boards to confirm this. I was shocked to read I had a much smaller time window. Well this really bothers me. I really enjoy hitting the parks one day and then taking at FW day the next, avoiding weekends, avoiding MK on a Monday, I'm a professional at this by now. I know when to go to what park and on what day and what to avoid. This new system, now changes all that. If I wanted to go with the five day hopper (that I had planned), I couldn't do a FW day then a park day. That's out. I'm not going to pay their extra additional fee to have back the 14 day window. Nickel and dime! No, thanks.

I remember the first year we went, we had five day tickets. My oldest was still in high school and brought a friend, Grace was four, Daniel was two. We have seven nights in the cabins and were planning on spending the last day at Sea World (no purchased tickets yet). On our fifth ticket day, we all left the Magic Kingdom a couple inches shorter that day. I remember I cried a tear as we left it was so magical. Later that night, back at the cabin, stewing on the fact I wish we had another day, it occurred to me that maybe we could add on to our tickets. I called down to the front desk and was floored we could add on an extra day for only $10 per person! Are you serious? I asked her to confirm twice. I couldn't believe it, ten bucks!!! The next day our feet didn't hit the ground, we all lived like KINGS for the day and there will never be a day like that. I'm so thankful we had that extra day as a family. It will always be one of my best family memories on that extra bonus day! Then, I have to read about a family that recently tried to do the same thing as I did, except they had to pay an additional $80 per person to add that extra day. That family couldn't afford that additional cost and that kills me that they maybe missed out on a last day like we had. Pulls my heart strings a bit too much.

Now, I love Fort Wilderness with all of my heart, but it is time for a break and time for a change. I was feeling really sour for a good while with all the changes. I still do. I don't want to sour out completely, so its just time for a change. Next January or the January after that, Charlotte will be in those magical years time, and we will be back!!! And not sour. Between now and our next Fort Wilderness trip, I will live through all your trip reports. I'll be happy for you and wish I was along with you on your journey.

We are going west a few times in 2019. Time to see some national parks, see the west! Time to take a nice long drive down the Pacific Coast Highway, time to see some Redwoods and everything in between. Kids have been reading their travel books, and I have been reading up on mine.

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.53.08 PM.png

Last edited:
I so want to say Thank You Bernie Sanders and all your efforts to get Disney CM's $15 an hour but I suspect it would get me in trouble so I wont. This new Ticket policy makes me believe our decision a few years back to get AP's and do longer stays to be a good one

Melissa, I am sorry that the trip has been cancelled, but certainly understand. We are going on a 7 night Disney Cruise in late March with our daughters, husbands and kids. Staying at POR, for four nights before. The kids are flying home right after. Papa and I are then going to the BC for a few days to recoup! We have three day tickets, and want to add in for one day after, but may rethink this issue! Your kids will love “out west”. So much to see, do, learn, and play. We loved South Dakota and really loved the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming, before venturing to Yellowstone. Took it slow and easy in the camper. Have a blessed Christmas, and think Spring. You have already had snow. We are anxiously awaiting.

I cancelled our trip a few weeks back.

As we approached our 60 day mark and I was trying to figure how many park days we needed so I could be prepared to book our fast passes on day 60. Well, I soon discovered their new changed their ticket timeline structure. Now, it really bothers me on several things that have changed over the course of a few years. Seems like lots of changes, but none that seems to benefit us, the family campers. Trails End cost us $21 for an adult dinner the first year we went, six years later that price is now almost double.

The straw that broke this camel's back is the new ticket policy.

Once I read the new ticket policy on the MDE I headed over the boards to confirm this. I was shocked to read I had a much smaller time window. Well this really bothers me. I really enjoy hitting the parks one day and then taking at FW day the next, avoiding weekends, avoiding MK on a Monday, I'm a professional at this by now. I know when to go to what park and on what day and what to avoid. This new system, now changes all that. If I wanted to go with the five day hopper (that I had planned), I couldn't do a FW day then a park day. That's out. I'm not going to pay their extra additional fee to have back the 14 day window. Nickel and dime! No, thanks.

I remember the first year we went, we had five day tickets. My oldest was still in high school and brought a friend, Grace was four, Daniel was two. We have seven nights in the cabins and were planning on spending the last day at Sea World (no purchased tickets yet). On our fifth ticket day, we all left the Magic Kingdom a couple inches shorter that day. I remember I cried a tear as we left it was so magical. Later that night, back at the cabin, stewing on the fact I wish we had another day, it occurred to me that maybe we could add on to our tickets. I called down to the front desk and was floored we could add on an extra day for only $10 per person! Are you serious? I asked her to confirm twice. I couldn't believe it, ten bucks!!! The next day our feet didn't hit the ground, we all lived like KINGS for the day and there will never be a day like that. I'm so thankful we had that extra day as a family. It will always be one of my best family memories on that extra bonus day! Then, I have to read about a family that recently tried to do the same thing as I did, except they had to pay an additional $80 per person to add that extra day. That family couldn't afford that additional cost and that kills me that they maybe missed out on a last day like we had. Pulls my heart strings a bit too much.

Now, I love Fort Wilderness with all of my heart, but it is time for a break and time for a change. I was feeling really sour for a good while with all the changes. I still do. I don't want to sour out completely, so its just time for a change. Next January or the January after that, Charlotte will be in those magical years time, and we will be back!!! And not sour. Between now and our next Fort Wilderness trip, I will live through all your trip reports. I'll be happy for you and wish I was along with you on your journey.

We are going west a few times in 2019. Time to see some national parks, see the west! Time to take a nice long drive down the Pacific Coast Highway, time to see some Redwoods and everything in between. Kids have been reading their travel books, and I have been reading up on mine.

View attachment 367449

Oh there is some good camping to be had there. Understand the Disney issue, they will eventually like NASCAR price most people out. We are looking to go next year with the nephews, and then for the DISMEET in 2020. From there we will see what happens.

Another Mickey light ready for delivery.

Enjoy, Barb! This was an extra special one.

View attachment 367635

j
Jim, thank you so much. And thank you and your family, Donna and Ian, for letting us give you a tour and a bit of “rangering”, on this chilly November 30. I will treasure the lamp, and will use it lots. Great seeing you. The Schillings.

We got our our tree, nativity set, cd's, and other christmas related stuff and look what I found from last year:

Guess I'm jumping on board the nerd train too....

PS - the flash put a shadow almost perfectly behind it. So it looks fuzzy but it's not as bad as it looks.

This new Ticket policy makes me believe our decision a few years back to get AP's and do longer stays to be a good one

We haven't purchases 'day tickets' in years - primarily for this reason. As DVC members we get an additional discount, but we have generally scheduled 2-3 trips in a 12 month span, then waited most of a year to start the cycle over. We just did that in 17-18 (August '17, October '17, July '18). We will actually be skipping 2019 (first time calendar year missed since we started going as a family in 2007), but will do 2020-2021 with 2-3 trips on an AP. As a family of 5, we save a good $1,500-$2,000 per 'year' by doing the AP's instead of two separate ticket packages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter