The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

So as most know being a volunteer has been a big part of my life after the military. Have been a firefighter, EMT, and a Recovery Diver. Well as with most folks, I am not getting any younger, I do still have a big volunteer gig I can not talk about, but our move a few years back has given me new avenues to pursue and volunteer with.
So this newest volunteer opportunity came along and well, I said yes. It has been a long process, that I started back in September, but it is almost complete and I wanted to share with my Disney family.
Tusken Crop.jpg

I am getting ready to submit my hard work to the 501st for approval. I have done an event as a squire, helping get Stormtroopers and Flametroopers ready to go. It is a great group of guys and looking forward to a fun future with them. Maybe if I am lucky, can get an event or two done in Florida....

@PaHunter that is awesome. They really do some great things. Let me know if you make it to atlanta for the dragon con parade or Disney for a run Disney Star Wars event.

What are folks up to on the day before Thanksgiving?

I am hosting my side of the family tomorrow at my house. Thankfully everyone offers to bring something - dad the meats and gravy, sis the mashed spuds, my two out-of-town brothers bring their appetites, and that leaves me with sides and desserts. DW is in charge of her cornbread dressing recipe. 17-18 people total. I have to set up some folding tables and chairs in the living room and foyer to seat everyone but hey it will work.

I flip flopped on the number and mix of pies a number of times but since today is baking day, that's what I'm doing. Settled on 2 pecan, 2 pumpkin, and a regular cheesecake (with topping choice of canned cherry pie filling, chocolate syrup, or maple syrup). Gonna get all these pies done today. Plus I have the stuff to make an apple pie too if I pull the trigger on that.

Tomorrow morning will be cooking the two veggie side dishes, glazed carrots and a traditional green bean casserole. DD pulled me aside last night and threatened to disown me if I used canned beans (she is such a foodie). Nope, I told her, I have a big bag of the real thing.

Gonna be partly sunny and 60F tomorrow.

Hope anyone travelling to/from your turkey delight stays safe.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Ed,

Your Thanksgiving sound similar to ours. We have hosted both sides of the family for a long time. The group keeps dwindling with kids away at school or in the military, but we should have 14-15 this year. Pretty traditional on the food. Turkey, ham, hash brown casserole, wilted lettuce salad and whatever sides DW wants to make. We always have too much and make people take some. Desserts are on the guests., but again, we usually have way too many pies/cakes/ or whatever.

Friday I'll be heading to mid-Missouri to see my dad and his wife. He remarried a few years ago and part of the deal was he would stay down there with her family for Thanksgiving.

Weather here is rainy and cold. 40s. Today we have a high wind warning- Sustained winds in the 30s with gusts into the 60s.

j

We are "working" though i did actually do some stuff this morning, i am planning on knocking off early to go run. It was pouring this morning during my usual run time so thought not a big deal to run in the afternoon. It will be warm though 70.

For a change we are at home this thanksgiving. the last few have either been driving to Disney or from Disney. We are going to my mom's house for dinner. We are bringing brussel sprouts. I know not very traditional but we needed a veggie and my brother does not like broccoli or cauliflower. He is the one bringing dessert.

Some mallory news, kind of a mixed bag. She has an upset tummy at the moment. Good thing she can't move but still means a mess to clean up. The good thing is she is eating, she does not seem to notice. the problem is keeping her and the wound clean. i would normally put her in the bathroom and bath her but i can't do that with the pressure sore. On the pressure sore front, last month she ended up with another pressure sore on the same side as the big one. The major one is over her femur and this small second one is on the hip. The good news is last week the vet was able to stitch up the small pressure sore. So far it looks good so there is hope we will only be dealing with the one sore. Now to get her belly back in order. The vet has called in a prescription. I am pretty sure the belly issues are from a food change, which was not our choice. She gets Hills Science Diet and they changed the formula. We had been mixing old and new food, no problems. For the last 5 days or so she has been on the new food and now we are having issues.

worked half a day, now home helping DW prepare stuffing, punkin rolls, pies etc. We have only have 2 of 6 kids/families able to attend this year, feeling sorry for all the football fans that have to suffer my Bears on national TV tomorrow, I suggest a movie, some bourbon/wine or listen to holiday music during this time, Happy Thanksgiving all..... :thumbsup2

Kris, DD is a vet tech and and she says changing food is very hard on dogs digestive system as you noted, hope she gets over it soon

We are in the working crew as well! I worked a normal day today and have a few things to do Friday. DW is working all week, including tomorrow. So, Thanksgiving will be very low-key for us - just the five of us once DW wakes up (she works nights). Friday afternoon we will begin decorating the inside for Christmas, and Saturday morning we're headed to the local Ford dealership to test drive a new truck - busy days ahead!

Yeah test driving a new truck sounds fun and yet expensive.

i feel slightly better that the food change is more than likely the reason for the soft poo. Sorry for the image, trust me not fun in my house, but we are on diaper duty so hoping to keep mess contained and hoping stomach starts to adjust. I am really unhappy will science diet at the moment. Not our choice to change formu.

Yeah test driving a new truck sounds fun and yet expensive.

i feel slightly better that the food change is more than likely the reason for the soft poo. Sorry for the image, trust me not fun in my house, but we are on diaper duty so hoping to keep mess contained and hoping stomach starts to adjust. I am really unhappy will science diet at the moment. Not our choice to change formu.

Sorry about the sickness - yuck! Hope it improves soon.

As for the expense - no doubt. But, our 2006 Suburban has already cost us $5,000 in repairs in 2019, and it has been sitting on the lot at our repair shop for the last 3 weeks because they can't find the parts they need for the most recent repair!!

:crazy:

Hosting family on Saturday. everybody bringing something, just as well we are having it on Saturday, have a Winter weather Advisory for today for light snow and freezing drizzle. Football game tomorrow we are probably not going to, but volleyball tomorrow night and then last volleyball game on Saturday so have to chase the family out of the house by 5 so we can make the game.:love2:The town is having a Christmas parade Saturday night anyway that the family wants to go to. Everyone have a Happy and safe Thanksgiving!!

Sorry about the sickness - yuck! Hope it improves soon.

As for the expense - no doubt. But, our 2006 Suburban has already cost us $5,000 in repairs in 2019, and it has been sitting on the lot at our repair shop for the last 3 weeks because they can't find the parts they need for the most recent repair!!

:crazy:

Marty, I am getting closer to being in your boots someday soon.

My 2005 Suburban (which has 238k miles) is still humming along but nothing lasts forever. It's falling apart inside, some dashboard gauges don't work (blue tooth to a scanner reader on my old cell phone), and the paint is peeling off the hood. I want to get as much use out of it but last time I bought a new set of tires I wondered if that was going to be the last set. It's only worth about $1K in trade value so I figure I'll just drive it till the bottom drops out.

Good luck on your search. Let us/me know what you ultimately end up with.

Ed

Marty, I am getting closer to being in your boots someday soon.

My 2005 Suburban (which has 238k miles) is still humming along but nothing lasts forever. It's falling apart inside, some dashboard gauges don't work (blue tooth to a scanner reader on my old cell phone), and the paint is peeling off the hood. I want to get as much use out of it but last time I bought a new set of tires I wondered if that was going to be the last set. It's only worth about $1K in trade value so I figure I'll just drive it till the bottom drops out.

Good luck on your search. Let us/me know what you ultimately end up with.

Ed

Yeah - we were in the same boat. It is third vehicle for us that doesn’t get much use. DD will get her license in just over a year, so we were hoping for it to last that long and then make a move - handing a vehicle down to her and buying a new daily driver for me. It stranded us 2x this year, however, and now we are having trouble finding parts. Big part of our issue is that it is the HD Suburban with the big block engine. It’s a rare vehicle that is increasingly hard to repair. So, we may end up making a move a year earlier than planned!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

The original plan for the day was to get up early, head to amicola state park (1.5 hour drive) and hike the Hike Inn Loop of 10 miles. Well changed plans. Got up at 7 and cleaned up craptastic, i mean mallory, it was bad. Decided drugs were on order for her first. Got to Kroger when the pharmacy opened to get her the Metrozonidal the vet called in. Got home and gave her some medicine. it is twice a day meds. They would work wonders for yeti but usually take one day or two doses to get some effect. After she was pilled, we went to a closer park, Red Top mountain (45 minute drive), and hiked 5 miles. It was not as hard but important to get medicine in mallory.

Got home from hike and so far mallory has not gone so that is a win. she is definitely not super happy except when mommy is laying with her. i sure hope this medicine starts helping and she adjusts to the food.

It has been a long process, that I started back in September, but it is almost complete and I wanted to share with my Disney family.
Hey Chris, I was just wondering, Your costume is very impressive and realistic. Did you do that all from scratch?

Too bad we are not closer, my kids would be more than happy to lay around all day with Mallory :dog::love:
Hope she is well soon
She would love that.

round 1 of dinner done. She was definitely hungry and thirsty. We have round 2 of dinner and then pills. We already changed her bandag. I have to say the second sore that tge vet was able to stitch up, it‘s almost two weeks, looks like some of the stitches have dissolved. The good news it looks closed up. it definitely looks good, no infection and looks good. Would be great to be back to one sore And of course a butt nugget rather than craptastic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!