The Disney Wish, what are you wishing for?

The designated areas are fine in concept. The problem is that there are more than a few smokers who don't feel like the rules apply to them, and smoke on their balconies. I've had that happen on more than one cruise.

I don't think the calls for a 100% smoke-free ship would be as numerous if everybody was following the rules.
No sense in punishing everyone for the bad behavior of a few. That's like eliminating alcohol because a rare few overindulge.

No sense in punishing everyone for the bad behavior of a few. That's like eliminating alcohol because a rare few overindulge.
Actually, they probably did eliminate the ability to carry on hard liquor in part because of instances of a few misbehaving: people getting trashed in their room to the point of needing medical help, or teens sneaking booze from their parents' stash. By only selling hard liquor at the bars, they can both ensure that it is being sold to persons who are of age, and also cut people off if they have had too many.

I also think the negative externalities on other guests are so much higher for smoking than for booze. Second-hand smoke is hazardous not only because of the long-term cancer risk, but to people with asthma it can be a killer. Smoking on verandahs is also a fire hazard.

I wish they would treat smoking like hard liquor: you can't carry it on the ship, because people can't be trusted not to misuse it in their staterooms, but they could be made available for purchase in single-use quantities at a kiosk at the designated smoking area only.

I wish they would treat smoking like hard liquor: you can't carry it on the ship, because people can't be trusted not to misuse it in their staterooms, but they could be made available for purchase in single-use quantities at a kiosk at the designated smoking area only.
I get what you're saying and agree in principle. However, this would go over like a lead balloon in practice. The uproar would be heard for miles...

I get what you're saying and agree in principle. However, this would go over like a lead balloon in practice. The uproar would be heard for miles...
Since when does DCL care about uproar? They did just get rid of OBC. And people hated when they got rid of carry on booze too—and I’d wager there are more drinkers than smokers of a typical cruise.

I don’t want to punish smokers who follow the rules, either. That having been said, I feel like (anecdotally) the balcony-smoking infractions are not all that “rare”. Maybe I’m wrong.

But if enough “bad apples” impact enough non-smokers’ cruises, DCL will be between a rock and a hard place. A decision will have to be made that works toward the benefit of the most passengers. And I think that decision would be a 100% smoke-free ship.

Actually, they probably did eliminate the ability to carry on hard liquor in part because of instances of a few misbehaving: people getting trashed in their room to the point of needing medical help, or teens sneaking booze from their parents' stash. By only selling hard liquor at the bars, they can both ensure that it is being sold to persons who are of age, and also cut people off if they have had too many.

I also think the negative externalities on other guests are so much higher for smoking than for booze. Second-hand smoke is hazardous not only because of the long-term cancer risk, but to people with asthma it can be a killer. Smoking on verandahs is also a fire hazard.

Smoking in the areas that are designated, doesn't present a cancer risk to non-smokers, as the areas are secluded and the smoke is blown up and away from other areas. Single-use cigarette sales are a joke. People would just buy the same amount of cigarettes or sneak them in, as they are much harder to detect in suitcases.

I don’t want to punish smokers who follow the rules, either. That having been said, I feel like (anecdotally) the balcony-smoking infractions are not all that “rare”. Maybe I’m wrong.

But if enough “bad apples” impact enough non-smokers’ cruises, DCL will be between a rock and a hard place. A decision will have to be made that works toward the benefit of the most passengers. And I think that decision would be a 100% smoke-free ship.

The adults that do smoke would really think twice about a Disney cruise if they did that. The nice thing about Disney is that the kids have their space and the adults are still able to do "adult" things, like smoke and drink. If you take one or both of those away, the ships would be geared to basically only children (IMO).

The adults that do smoke would really think twice about a Disney cruise if they did that.

I honestly don’t think DCL would care. For every party that refused to sail because someone in the party wouldn’t be able to smoke, there are probably two parties for which “100% smoke-free” is not a deal-breaker, and which may actually be a selling point. Again, just my hunch.

I mean, Parks & Resorts just made the decision to make the parks 100% smoke-free. Yes, I know smokers can walk outside the park property to smoke and then walk back in, which they couldn’t do on a cruise ship. However, Disney clearly is not too worried about inconveniencing smokers in favor of keeping the smoke away from the general population.

the areas are secluded and the smoke is blown up and away from other areas.
But that is just not true, since if you look at room reviews near the smoking areas they describe the balcony as smoke filled and unusable. It looks like on the Wonder with the recent drydock they have now encased the smoking area with a high wall to stop people learning over the rail and sending smoke and ash down to the rooms below. So it looks like that is the direction they are heading. Hopefully they will crack down on balcony smoking too.

I honestly don’t think DCL would care. For every party that refused to sail because someone in the party wouldn’t be able to smoke, there are probably two parties for which “100% smoke-free” is not a deal-breaker, and which may actually be a selling point. Again, just my hunch.

I mean, Parks & Resorts just made the decision to make the parks 100% smoke-free. Yes, I know smokers can walk outside the park property to smoke and then walk back in, which they couldn’t do on a cruise ship. However, Disney clearly is not too worried about inconveniencing smokers in favor of keeping the smoke away from the general population.

I get your point. I guess we will just have to see how it goes, I guess. I just hope that DCL keeps the option open, so those who smoke can still enjoy their cruise as well.

But that is just not true, since if you look at room reviews near the smoking areas they describe the balcony as smoke filled and unusable. It looks like on the Wonder with the recent drydock they have now encased the smoking area with a high wall to stop people learning over the rail and sending smoke and ash down to the rooms below. So it looks like that is the direction they are heading. Hopefully they will crack down on balcony smoking too.

I think balcony smoking is the true issue. I haven't been on the Wonder, so I'm not sure how the smoking setup is, but for the Dream and the Fantasy, in the smoking area, there is no possible way to "blow the smoke down" to the rooms below, especially when the ship is moving. The wind takes the smoke up and out.

Smoking in the areas that are designated, doesn't present a cancer risk to non-smokers, as the areas are secluded and the smoke is blown up and away from other areas. Single-use cigarette sales are a joke. People would just buy the same amount of cigarettes or sneak them in, as they are much harder to detect in suitcases.
I respectfully disagree about the designated areas not posing a risk to non smokers. I have chosen in my life not to smoke after watching my grandmother die of lung cancer from smoking. I have experienced the second hand smoke on the Disney Wonder in an area not near the smoking area. I actually thought someone must be smoking near me in a nonsmoking area. You cannot control the wind and where it carries the smoke. It is not always blown up and away.

I think balcony smoking is the true issue. I haven't been on the Wonder, so I'm not sure how the smoking setup is, but for the Dream and the Fantasy, in the smoking area, there is no possible way to "blow the smoke down" to the rooms below, especially when the ship is moving. The wind takes the smoke up and out.
Even if it blows up, all four ships have smoking area on deck 4. So blowing up blows it toward every verandah on deck 5 and up on that side of the ship.

I LOVE this idea and, to me, it is a very comparable situation. They dont sell my preferred liquor on board and I managed to survive.

There was definately someone smoking on a balcony last week. II was no where near the smoking deck so it could not have been drift. I didnt report because I was only in the room for a few minutes and had no idea what the procedure was after reporting something like that. If I werent already very late to a show I probably would have reported and been a little late.

There was definately someone smoking on a balcony last week. II was no where near the smoking deck so it could not have been drift. I didnt report because I was only in the room for a few minutes and had no idea what the procedure was after reporting something like that. If I werent already very late to a show I probably would have reported and been a little late.

Could you tell which stateroom it was coming from?

Could you tell which stateroom it was coming from?

No, we were going at a good clip and it was kind of foggy so I couldnt get a visual. I leaned out and looked as far as I was comfortable but couldnt even see anyone out around me. Otherwise I would have called with at least that information.

No, we were going at a good clip and it was kind of foggy so I couldnt get a visual. I leaned out and looked as far as I was comfortable but couldnt even see anyone out around me. Otherwise I would have called with at least that information.

Yeah, even if you were only in the room for a few minutes, I, too, would have called it in if could have pinpointed the cabin.

You would nip that crap in the bud before you were on the balcony for an extended period of time and had to deal with the smoke then and there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!