The Disney Wish, what are you wishing for?

The advantage of there being three distinct styles of restaurants is that you are bound to find one you like. Love AP. LOVED EG. Never really liked the theming on RP/RC/Triton's. Used to get dressed up in my parrot shirt for PC (basically a giant Tiki Room restaurant), but honestly loved Tiana's even more when we were on the Wonder in February (and yes still wore the parrot shirt). I'm sure the Imagineers will come up with something awesome.

Only thing I really hope for is that they spend some time working on the quick serve restaurants around the pool deck, especially the food quality. It is okay for what it is, but given what you see now on other lines the quality and options are stuck in theme park land. After all if Carnival can do it, you can't tell me DCL couldn't do it better?

The advantage of there being three distinct styles of restaurants is that you are bound to find one you like. Love AP. LOVED EG. Never really liked the theming on RP/RC/Triton's. Used to get dressed up in my parrot shirt for PC (basically a giant Tiki Room restaurant), but honestly loved Tiana's even more when we were on the Wonder in February (and yes still wore the parrot shirt). I'm sure the Imagineers will come up with something awesome.

Only thing I really hope for is that they spend some time working on the quick serve restaurants around the pool deck, especially the food quality. It is okay for what it is, but given what you see now on other lines the quality and options are stuck in theme park land. After all if Carnival can do it, you can't tell me DCL couldn't do it better?
Being that we've only sailed Disney, I can't comment on the other line's food quality. But I would sort of agree with you on the Quick Service Foods, I do find on the Wonder (the ship we've sailed on the most) that I tend to get more food items from Daisy's Delite's as it offers more fresh and healthier offerings. I would very much like to see more of that reflected in the others, less fried foods and more fresh or healthier prepared foods, also I wouldn't mind if they would have one of the quick service stands open for early risers (ie, 5 or 6 am) so we can get something with out having to wait until Cabanas opens or resorting to staying in the stateroom and ordering room service. I am always up early and like wandering around the upper decks before the rest of the guest wake up and would really like to have some kind of breakfast bite. And many have mentioned a casual restaurant that is open for "anytime" dining, that definitely would be possible on the new ships, but for the old ships like Magic & Wonder finding space for a small bistro style place would be really interesting.

Toss in another one from having sailed a few different lines over the last decade. DCL doesn't do buffet dinners, and I have zero problem with that. Dinner is part of the experience and I wouldn't miss a sit down dinner for anything. One of the things however we did miss this past February one the Wonder was the ability for that pre-bed time 'second' dessert in the buffet. We have gotten in to the habit after the show on whatever ship we are on of hitting up the buffet and having that snack, because of course anything you eat on a cruise doesn't count right? All part of that Disney Magic. :rotfl2:

more soda and drink stations around the ship!
I would like to see more 5-6 night sailings. 4 is too short it feels like, 7 is a lot when we want to fit in Disney World. 5-6 nights ones hard to find on our vacation schedule out of Florida.

Bigger pools and more slides/water features for the kids and tweens, even if it is indoors.
Drops shutters and do more memory maker like photo system
Magic Bands for rooms (if you don't like the wrist, you can pop off the Mickey circle and attack it to a key chain)

Not anymore with the new Expanded Panama Canal locks opened in 2016 (2017 for cruise ships) are 1400 ft long 180ft wide, all the Disney cruise line ships (including the Disney Wish at 1100ft long 135ft wide) can now fit in the new Expanded locks. In 2016 the Wonder underwent a refurbishment in Cadiz, Spain where they added the bouyancy compensator to the stern of the ship lengthening it to be around 25 ft too long for the OLD Panama Canal locks but on the 2017 Westbound Panama Canal trip the Wonder was officially the 1st Passenger cruise ship to transit the NEW Expanded locks ushering in a new possibility for ANY Disney ship to transit the Panama Canal.
The Dream and Fantasy are several feet too tall to sail under the Bridge of the Americas, so their length and width are irrelevant. The most they could do would be to transit one set of locks, turn around at the Bridge, and go back through (which is something that other cruise lines do sometimes). The Triton class has been designed to be short enough to fit.

The Dream and Fantasy are several feet too tall to sail under the Bridge of the Americas, so their length and width are irrelevant. The most they could do would be to transit one set of locks, turn around at the Bridge, and go back through (which is something that other cruise lines do sometimes). The Triton class has been designed to be short enough to fit.

I am surprised by this... The Norwegian Bliss/Joy can go through the locks. I am pretty confident that they are taller?

I would like to see more 5-6 night sailings. 4 is too short it feels like, 7 is a lot when we want to fit in Disney World. 5-6 nights ones hard to find on our vacation schedule out of Florida.

Bigger pools and more slides/water features for the kids and tweens, even if it is indoors.
Drops shutters and do more memory maker like photo system
Magic Bands for rooms (if you don't like the wrist, you can pop off the Mickey circle and attack it to a key chain)

YES!!! And especially from Port Canaveral. Sometimes it's hard to take off a whole work week for a 7 night and the rare 5 nights from PC are Castaway Double Dips and the prices are insane. I prefer to drive to PC than to fly into Miami

I've seen multiple posts now wishing to go to Bermuda. Is that wishing to go on the Wish? Because DCL does do a Bermuda sailing out of NYC on the Magic. It was my first (and so far only) DCL cruise, and it was great! We loved Bermuda and the ease of sailing out of Manhattan. My 'wish' is actually that once the Wish is in the rotational mix please keep the Magic in NYC later in the season. We like Merrytime and MDAS up north, too!!

At a Castaway Club party, years ago, members were requesting Bermuda and Alaska. The Captain said to keep a lookout, as it was a possibility - but that other carriers were filling the slots and you has to wait to get docking privileges. Sure enough, now DCL is in the mix. I imagine trying to get your foot in the door at desirable locations takes years of waiting and negotiations.

I agree with the idea of more fresh, less fried, quick food options. Mexican sounds great. As would Asian - Pho, pot stickers and dumplings.

RCL’s Allure / Oasis of the Seas has a great lunch option. I could eat one of their roast beef sandwiches right now. The salads are made when you order. It doesn’t hurt that the cafe is in an open air atrium, reminiscent of a city park.

“Park Cafe (Deck 8): This has proven to be one of the Oasis class's biggest dining hits. The casual Central Park restaurant serves hot panini and build-your-own bagels for breakfast, as well as custom-made salads and sandwiches throughout the day. The Kummelweck -- roast beef au jus -- has to be the most talked-about sandwich in cruising. Since the venue is a hit, it's not always easy to find tables (available both inside and outside) during peak hours. But with far fewer diners, it's a welcome and peaceful alternative to Windjammer. Open 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. for breakfast and 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. for lunch.“

Question for everyone: in terms of Main Dining, what would people like to see (themes, cuisine, logistical changes, etc...)?

Gotta admit, while it is a Disney Cruise after all, I'm personally not a huge fan of the extremely character-centric MDR concepts of late. I much prefer the elegantly themed Enchanted Garden or Royal Court/Palace (one of my favorite restaurants on any cruise ship) or even Triton's to RRT or Tiana's. Not everybody needs Rapunzel or Tiana coming to their table and singing. Those that want that can go to the Character Greetings or perhaps DCL could offer some sort of Character Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner option. It just seems kind of "cheap" or a shortcut to satisfy people and takes away from the sort of timeless elegance that I think makes the Disney ships special (and particularly appealing for the adults). That subtle theming can go a long way. I have no issue at all with Disney movie-inspired restaurants (like a Lady and the Tramp-themed Italian restaurant) I always felt like Animator's Palette was a good middle ground. To me, RRT and TP seem like they'd be a better fit in MK or DHS than on a cruise ship. Not every corner of the ship needs to be bathed with characters in your face. I do completely agree that it'd be nice for Wish's two "sister" ships to have different MDRs (unlike what they did with the Dream and Fantasy). I promise I do love the characters; just I find there are many people who'd rather not have Rapunzel asking them about their dreams while they try to eat. Of course, one look at the atrium concept art for the Wish, and it's clear Bob Chapek has a very different vision haha.

I like the Tritons’ location dining room with its elegant theming - and in the past, no singing, dancing, show.

The dining rooms are already nearly high school cafeteria sound level; I don’t need additional shows to further drown out conversation.

If they could just work in an Italian restaurant with Lady & the Tramp or Chinese for Mula, yum yum. I really enjoyed Carioca’s during its short life.

I am so glad to hear someone else say this! I hate that the Magic does primarily 5 nights but I have no desire to drive to Miami for them. 5 nights is a perfect length.

I am so glad to hear someone else say this! I hate that the Magic does primarily 5 nights but I have no desire to drive to Miami for them. 5 nights is a perfect length.

I saw where the Magic has a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise from Miami. Goes to Cozumel and CC, with two sea days. If the Dream did that on a regular basis, that would be perfect!

I saw where the Magic has a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise from Miami. Goes to Cozumel and CC, with two sea days. If the Dream did that on a regular basis, that would be perfect!

I had friends who did one of those sailings last year. I have done the 5 night Magic Sailing from San Juan to Miami twice and absolutely LOVE it.

The other regular sailing they do for the 5 night from Miami is Key West, Nassau, Castaway and a Day at Sea.

This. Please let the dining rooms just be dining rooms.

Judging by the Popularity of Rapunzel's and Tiana's I would expect to see more of these dining venues instead of less.

Let the record state however, that I agree with this sentiment. Rapunzel's is far too loud for my taste. I haven't been on the Wonder so I can't speak for Tiana's.

Judging by the Popularity of Rapunzel's and Tiana's I would expect to see more of these dining venues instead of less.

Let the record state however, that I agree with this sentiment. Rapunzel's is far too loud for my taste. I haven't been on the Wonder so I can't speak for Tiana's.

From what I've seen on YouTube, Tiana's looks a little bit less in your face. I am from the Deep South so I also prefer the look of Tiana's too lol I haven't been to either and people like it so they must be doing something right!

The only thing I have against Disney dining is that if you decide to opt out of the dining room for the night, your options are limited. I know rotational dining is part of what you pay for but some nights its nice to take it easy

I guess the OPTION would be okay, but my experience with Freestyle dining on NCL was......show up anytime to wait 90 minutes for a table.

RCCL we also chose My Time (yes, I am 100% certain and on this ship they seat you in a different area entirely) just to be lectured at the podium on our first night that we should always come earlier as it is too rough on the servers otherwise. They also strongly recommended we make reservations for every other night... we didn't for the second night thinking maybe it was a one-off but were told the same. Come earlier. They then skipped the bread and first course to 'catch us up' (we went later the second night thinking maybe we'd just hit it too close to a "normal" seating time). It was ridiculous. On the way out I told them to go ahead and put us down for whatever time they wanted. :rolleyes2

I guess the OPTION would be okay, but my experience with Freestyle dining on NCL was......show up anytime to wait 90 minutes for a table.

I sailed on the Epic back in... 2018 I think it was and we went to the podium at the non Upcharge asian bistro at 4PM and were told the earliest we would be seated was 8PM. It was... rough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter