The Dolphin saved our vacation!!!

Rolo

Earning My Ears
Hi! I just wanted to tell everyone here about how great the Swan and Dolphin staff are!! My family of 6 just got back today. Our vacation, I had been planning for over a year was almost ruined when we arrived at Vistana Villages 2/23 ( after having a confirmed reservation) and they had no room for us. They had overbooked. Luckily the Dolphin had two connecting rooms for us at 9:00 pm. They were so nice they gave me the nurses rate on each room and Steve at check in even upgraded us to club level. I think they felt badly that Vistana Village had not honored our reservation even though it was certainly not the Dolphin's fault.

WOW! So nice to hear the Dolphin could accomodate you and treated you so wonderfully! Hope you had a great vacation even though the start was a little rocky...;)

Thanks The Pluto People!

It was a rocky start but I was detemined not to let it ruin our vacation. I am not an experience traveler. I see you are a dis veteran. Can you tell me is this overbooking a common problem?? If it is I'm not so sure we will be doing much more traveling. Also if it is a common problem, why make a reservation and let them hold your money for months??

Rolo: We stayed at the Vistana several times but that was many years ago. I've been frequenting the DIS boards for many years and I can't remember ever reading about overbooking problems anywhere in Orlando. I see that you have posted about your problem on the Orlando DIS board and I think that will be helpful to others who are staying at the Vistana. Again, I'm glad the Dolphin staff was so nice to you and your vacation was saved!!:D

From what I know about the hotel industry, when a hotel overbooks they are required to "walk you"(take you) to another comparible or better resort and get you the same price(they may have to pay the extra). Did they not offer you this option?

BibbidiBobbiddiBoo Yes they did arrange for us to stay at The Blue Tree Resort. This resort did not have everything VV had. I asked them to move us to Vistana Resort they said they could not. I also asked about moving to caribe Royale but they couldn't get us there either. Then they found us two room at the Dolphin.

BibbidiBobbidiBoo,

I should also add the ressie at VV was for approx $750. At the Dolphin our bill would have been a little over $2000/ week. VV paid for about half of this because I was persistent in talking to their manager other wise they originally were going to cover just the first night.

WAY TO GO DOLPHIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad your trip was great!!!!!!

Rolo, I posted a reply on the orlando board also, but I wanted to ask you, why wouldn't they put you at the Vistana Resort? It is their sister resort. Did they give you a reason? I am going 3/12-20 and they are overbooked at VV so your post has me somewhat concerned, although if it ended up as well for me as it did for you I think I could have handled it. Just in case, what line of defense did you use to get VV to pay for almost half your dolphin bill? Just thinking it may come in handy if I find myself in the same predicament. Thanks for your reply. I am glad you did not let it ruin your vacation. I will have to pray real hard not to totally lose it if I show up and they tell me they have no room for me. Congratulations on keeping your cool.:cool:

Isn't the Dolphin great. In 1997 they saved our trip also. We were staying at Westgate Villas and the place was a nightmare. To save the trip, we decided to splurge and switch to a Disney resort for the last night, but all Disney resorts were booked solid. We swore we'd never stay at S/D, but they offered us a room for $129 and we figured it had to be better then where we were. We were amazed from the second we walked in, until the minute we left. Needless to say, we fell in love with the Dolphin and now we stay there for at least 1/2 or trip on every stay.

We had booked a week at the Westgate Lake, 2 years ago, NJ spring break week. When we checked in, they told us (and quite a few others checking in) that they had overbooked and would move us to one of their other properties. While we were disappointed because we were meeting another family there, they upgraded us to their Towers, not far from WDW, gave us dinner in their fine restaurant, as well as 4 passes to Water Mania. While it was very frustrating to go through, and took us a long time after driving for 2 days to get there, the towers were beautiful. But because of that incident, I would never book with them again. This was the only time we had stayed off-site, and only did it because it was a 2nd trip to WDW that same year, and we got a really good deal (but you get what you pay for!). I swore I would never stay off-site again, but I am hopefully attempting it again this June. We weren't planning on visiting WDW this year because of too many graduations, weddings, confirmations, 50th anniversary for in-laws, (WOW!), but my brother is letting us use his timeshare for $129./week. Too good to pass! Vistana Village/Resort was our first choice for availability, but now I'm a little leary, having been burned before!
:(

We had booked a week at the Westgate Lake, 2 years ago, NJ spring break week. When we checked in, they told us (and quite a few others checking in) that they had overbooked and would move us to one of their other properties. While we were disappointed because we were meeting another family there, they upgraded us to their Towers, not far from WDW, gave us dinner in their fine restaurant, as well as 4 passes to Water Mania. While it was very frustrating to go through, and took us a long time after driving for 2 days to get there, the towers were beautiful. But because of that incident, I would never book with them again. This was the only time we had stayed off-site, and only did it because it was a 2nd trip to WDW that same year, and we got a really good deal (but you get what you pay for!). I swore I would never stay off-site again, but I am hopefully attempting it again this June. We weren't planning on visiting WDW this year because of too many graduations, weddings, confirmations, 50th anniversary for in-laws, (WOW!), but my brother is letting us use his timeshare for $129./week. Too good to pass! Vistana Village/Resort was our first choice for availability, but now I'm a little leary, having been burned before!
:(

If I'm not mistaken both V V and Dolphin are Starwood resorts. They are both owned by the same parent company, so although getting the S/D on such short notice was terrific, I think they were obligated to to do something for you. You should have been given the Dolphin for the same price you reserved V V, IMHO. The upgrade to Club level was definitely a nice touch. I can't wait until we get there.

Dear Sandyneck, I hope I am not worrying you unnecessarily. When we went to the Dolphin on Sat night the pm staff at VV had only aggreed to pay for 1 room for 1 night of our 7 day stay. That night I slept 2 hrs max I was so angry and worried about the increase in cost but I also didn't want our vacation ruined for my kids. The next morning my husband took our children out for breakfast while I contacted VV manager after a lenghty coversation he aggreed to cover the cost of one room during our stay. ( at the dolphin we needed 2 rooms for the 6 of us) to make it short, I stated I had an aggreement with your resort you broke it how are you going to compensate me for that. He stated we had a similar resort lined up for you .I replied, it was not similar, listing the amenities it did not have versus VV. I almost laughed, he asked me if I was a travel agent. The manager then replied there is nothing to compare with VV. I pointed out we were happpy with the Dolphin but of the more than double cost because of their mistake in over booking. I repeated quite a few times, I had an agreement with you, you broke it how are you going to compensate me for it. It was such a relief when the manager aggreed to help cover more cost.

They didn't put us in the Vistana because they too were totally booked also.

Thanks for the info Rolo. I appreciate the heads up and do not think you are worrying me without cause. We have traveled quite a bit and several times have been found without a place to stay due to overbooking. This is a common practice, what is uncommon is the VV to be sold out. They may not be sure how to deal with it but hopefully after this past week they will get a better handle on it. I checked the dates before I arrrive and they are sold out the entire week before I get there(which is this week) and when I get there(12th). I am hoping for the best and praying hard!! I am so happy for you that it worked out. Funny how they say the Blue tree was comparable , I looked it up on the internet and the 2 bedroom sleeps only 6 not 8! How does that compare? The Vistana is also sold out the dates we are going so that will not be an option for people if the overbooking occurs again. I will let you know how it went when I get back:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter