The Dress Shop on Cherry Tree Lane

Well, my snacks dress is here. I want to love it but my weird-shaped body does not fit these Disney dresses at all. The bust is too large (the straps fall off me), the torso is too long (it hits at my hips), and you can see the princess seams in the bust are WAY wide of where my actual bust is. I don't know if sizing down will help, because it fits fine in the waist. So if I shorten the straps the neckline is way too high, which makes my non-existent boob problem even worse (side note, I'm wearing a super pushup bra in these pics). If I pull it down it hits my hips/stomach hard and poofs out in a horrible way. My Tiki dress I had altered (it cost $70 which was ridiculous) to pull the waist up & bust in. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice? Should I get it altered, go a size down, or return it knowing I just can't seem to fit into these dresses? :( Sorry for the socks & grumpy face, haha!
View attachment 392435 View attachment 392436
Bust lower Straps shortened - bye-bye boobs

View attachment 392437 View attachment 392438
The princess seam which should go over the tops of my bust but is halways to my armpit (where the shadow of my finger is on my dress is roughly where it *should* be falling). Also you can't see this in the photos, but the bottom of my bra is somewhere in the middle of the torso section of the dress.

View attachment 392439
Altered Tiki dress for reference - the waist was pulled up so the elastic doesn't sit on my hip bones.

My DDs had better luck with the halter-style dresses. My DD19 got the tower of terror dress a few years back and my DD17 got the “Walt Disney World Dress” last year. That one is still on sale online. My daughters are very different builds. DD19 is 5’5 and a size 8 but has a d-cup bust. My DD17 is 5’7 and a size 12-14 with a smaller cup. Both fit a large! :confused3 I think this is because the halter style has adjustable straps (you tie around the neck) and has smocking on the back. It seems to be more forgiving.

Last edited:
I'm so excited to check out some of these dresses while I'm there at the end of the month (woot!). Since the necklines are so different I'm trying not to get my heart set on any one design, I'll have to see how they fit. I've been following this thread for a while, apologies if anyone has posted this already but have you guys seen this Jose purse that goes with the tiki dress?? It's probably the cutest purse I've seen IMO - not very practical but man, is it cute and fun!!!

https://www.shopdisney.com/jose-in-birdcage-crossbody-bag-the-enchanted-tiki-room-1481901

I bought 2 more of the dresses on my last trip. I think they will be my last dress purchase from Disney. I'm just tired of having to make a ton of adjustments to the top area to fit me.
I love the style though - I picked up the Villians Dress and Monsters Inc that time around and am finally getting to dealing with adjustments.

The hips and waist fit perfect but the tops are so large I have to add darts and take them in on the side up top and then they are still a bit loose so I need to figure out how to make another adjustment. Maybe change the darts a bit.

I'm planning on attempting to make my own dress so if that works out I'll be done with Disney Park Dresses.

I bought 2 more of the dresses on my last trip. I think they will be my last dress purchase from Disney. I'm just tired of having to make a ton of adjustments to the top area to fit me.
I love the style though - I picked up the Villians Dress and Monsters Inc that time around and am finally getting to dealing with adjustments.

The hips and waist fit perfect but the tops are so large I have to add darts and take them in on the side up top and then they are still a bit loose so I need to figure out how to make another adjustment. Maybe change the darts a bit.

I'm planning on attempting to make my own dress so if that works out I'll be done with Disney Park Dresses.

Just wait, Disney will put out an irresistible dress and you'll be tempted! :goodvibes

i love the print on the skirt! The top would never work on me but if they released that print in a skirt I would be ALL OVER IT

I know some people on this thread might think I'm totally mad, but I bought two Disney dresses - the Tiki Room one and the Monsters Inc - and got my seamstress to cut the top off and put a new waistband on them to turn them into skirts.

I actually had the Tiki Room dress for about six months before I had it amended and only wore it once in that time. I just think they're too fancy for everyday wear and I don't go to enough events that it would be appropriate for to get a lot of use out of those dresses. The skirts on the other hand? I wear ALL the time. During the summer I can put on a tank top and flip flops and they're cute but casual, or a pair of heels and a nicer top and it works for a more fancy event. Just so you know, it can be done ;)

I know some people on this thread might think I'm totally mad, but I bought two Disney dresses - the Tiki Room one and the Monsters Inc - and got my seamstress to cut the top off and put a new waistband on them to turn them into skirts.

I actually had the Tiki Room dress for about six months before I had it amended and only wore it once in that time. I just think they're too fancy for everyday wear and I don't go to enough events that it would be appropriate for to get a lot of use out of those dresses. The skirts on the other hand? I wear ALL the time. During the summer I can put on a tank top and flip flops and they're cute but casual, or a pair of heels and a nicer top and it works for a more fancy event. Just so you know, it can be done ;)

Absolutely - though I don't think I could justify spending $170 plus seamstress fees to get just a skirt LOL

Absolutely - though I don't think I could justify spending $170 plus seamstress fees to get just a skirt LOL

Good point. I got both of mine with a passholder discount, and I had "opt out of mousekeeping" Disney gift cards to offset the price too. If I was paying full price I probably couldn't justify it!!

I do wish they would offer dress and skirt versions of many of the materials.

I wear all of the ones I've purchased to work. I have to wear a sweater as its freezing in our office all year round, but all of the ones I purchased I felt I could wear in the office. I've only worn a dress once in the park (thanks to @FoxC63), mostly because of the heat. I've picked up some spanks to wear underneath and hope they help.

I would just like to say that I feel personally attacked by how cute that darn Mickey Mouse dress is, because I have to renew my AP this month, so there is absolutely no way I can order that dress any time soon. :sad:

SO stinking cute!!!!

I do wish they would offer dress and skirt versions of many of the materials.

Agreed. I'm a huge lover of skirts as opposed to dresses. I have a very small bust and narrow ribcage so often times dresses that have a structured bodice do not fit me properly. Skirts on the other hand, fit well, can be dressed up or down, and give loads of options for tops depending on how many/what colors are in the skirt. I pretty much live in skirts May through September, usually paired with a tank and cardigan or denim jacket. Dresses just aren't as versatile as skirts are

I think Disney are missing a trick not selling skirt versions of the dresses - there's such a huge potential to offer matching or coordinating tops and cardigans/sweaters to go with them. If there was a whole section of mix 'n match skirts and tops I'd be aaaaalllll over that.

If anyone is a Large or XS, there are listings for the blue orange bird
I think Disney are missing a trick not selling skirt versions of the dresses - there's such a huge potential to offer matching or coordinating tops and cardigans/sweaters to go with them. If there was a whole section of mix 'n match skirts and tops I'd be aaaaalllll over that.

THIS!!! TOTALLY!!! YES PLEASE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter