The Drink Package - Tips and tricks?

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,

Since DH and I were not that excited to do an excursion in Nassau (been there more than 4 times), we decided to cancel our excursion, stay and reinvest the money in the drink package instead (which covers not only alcohol but many non-alcoholic drinks) so I was wondering if anyone could share informations and their experience with the drink package?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I definitely enjoy the drink package. Practically all drinks are included. You do need to drink about 5/6 alcoholic drinks a day to break even. I also get fresh squeezed oj or smoothies with breakfast

Do keep in mind the drink package only covers drinks up to a certain price. On the oasis series it covers drinks up to $13. If the drink cost more then you have to pay the difference. I only came across one drink that cost me more.

I definitely enjoy the drink package. Practically all drinks are included. You do need to drink about 5/6 alcoholic drinks a day to break even. I also get fresh squeezed oj or smoothies with breakfast

I heard you can also have soft drinks, evian water, smoothies, milk shakes, tea and specialty coffee with it? Is it true?

fountain soft drinks are included - not cans - if the ship has the FreeStyle machines, that's included {you get the magic cup}. You can get bottled water but IME it was not the Evian rather the 'plain' bottled water (never asked for the other tho so maybe). We've never ordered a bar drink that wasn't covered and if you get to know a bartender they'll often even recommend a better 'pour' than what you ask for 'since you already paid for it'. I routinely had Makers Mark or Buffalo Trace and this was covered .... I think you need to get into the fancy Scotch (Johnny Blue for example) etc b4 you have problems. DW's frozen Pina C's were no problem and they offered her 'better' rum than her usual Bacardi. Dunno about milkshakes - as far as I know the ones in Johnny Rockets are NOT included. Fancy coffee at the RCL coffee place is included, Starbucks is not. We don't do smoothies and at the breakfast buffet the fresh OJ is just too much of a PITA for me (we live in FL ... we get all the fresh OJ we want)

If you have not purchased this yet note the price you see does not include the 18% tip which will be added at time of purchase .... you have already tipped if you get the package so no need to tip more - but you can if you want.

If you see the price below $50 per person per day that's a good price ..... personally the lowest I ever got was $51/day. Note that if you buy and the price goes down you can cancel (up to 3 days b4 you sail if I remember right) and re-purchase at the lower price. The refund came thru quite quickly when I did this but for a short time BOTH charges could be on your card if this is a concern/issue. Only way I know of to check the price is log in to your RCL account and check yourself ... prices change constantly and the price for your cruise is NOT necessarily the same as any other cruise.

the drink package is good on Coco Cay . .

Last edited:
Wonderful thorough response, thank you!

Two follow up questions:

Any drink package carries over to Coco Cay, right? Drinks on the island are included, right?

How much are beers on the ship? Especially craft beers if they are offered? I am really just a beer guy so $50 a day sounds like a lot of beers day after day. Makes me hesitant to purchase.

Thanks!

fountain soft drinks are included - not cans - if the ship has the FreeStyle machines, that's included {you get the magic cup}. You can get bottled water but IME it was not the Evian rather the 'plain' bottled water (never asked for the other tho so maybe). We've never ordered a bar drink that wasn't covered and if you get to know a bartender they'll often even recommend a better 'pour' than what you ask for 'since you already paid for it'. I routinely had Makers Mark or Buffalo Trace and this was covered .... I think you need to get into the fancy Scotch (Johnny Blue for example) etc b4 you have problems. DW's frozen Pina C's were no problem and they offered her 'better' rum than her usual Bacardi. Dunno about milkshakes - as far as I know the ones in Johnny Rockets are NOT included. Fancy coffee at the RCL coffee place is included, Starbucks is not. We don't do smoothies and at the breakfast buffet the fresh OJ is just too much of a PITA for me (we live in FL ... we get all the fresh OJ we want)

If you have not purchased this yet note the price you see does not include the 18% tip which will be added at time of purchase .... you have already tipped if you get the package so no need to tip more - but you can if you want.

If you see the price below $50 per person per day that's a good price ..... personally the lowest I ever got was $51/day. Note that if you buy and the price goes down you can cancel (up to 3 days b4 you sail if I remember right) and re-purchase at the lower price. The refund came thru quite quickly when I did this but for a short time BOTH charges could be on your card if this is a concern/issue. Only way I know of to check the price is log in to your RCL account and check yourself ... prices change constantly and the price for your cruise is NOT necessarily the same as any other cruise.

the drink package is good on Coco Cay . .

I already purchased it. I knew about the 18% tip.

Thanks for all the other infos.

Indeed, it's a good deal for us since we're staying on the ship in Nassau and the package works on CocoCay. I won't get it on our next one because we'll be off the ship 3/6 days.

And I got it at 49$/pd :D

The only thing I might add is that the pineapple drinks on Cococay are not included. Those count as a specialty glass, even though the cost is within the package “budget”. I think that trading an afternoon in Nassau for a week of breakfast mimosas is an excellent choice :)

What about pineapple drinks - hold the pineapple?

(And FWIW, the pineapple drinks are pretty good and IIRC are not bad as far as price goes)

The only thing I might add is that the pineapple drinks on Cococay are not included. Those count as a specialty glass, even though the cost is within the package “budget”. I think that trading an afternoon in Nassau for a week of breakfast mimosas is an excellent choice :)

Mimosas... :lovestruc

Wonderful thorough response, thank you!

Two follow up questions:

Any drink package carries over to Coco Cay, right? Drinks on the island are included, right?

How much are beers on the ship? Especially craft beers if they are offered? I am really just a beer guy so $50 a day sounds like a lot of beers day after day. Makes me hesitant to purchase.

Thanks!

Beers (actually all drinks) are pricey. $8-15 each, with the craft beers on the higher end. Some cruisers are reporting cans of soda at $7!! It really only takes 5-6 beers a day, plus a couple of bottled waters or sodas to break even, especially if you can find it on sale.

Any yes, it carries over to Coco Cay.

I haven't actually seen that many craft beers on board, unless we are talking about InBev-type "craft" beers like Goose Island

@skwak I drink Blue Moon, and the cans were $7 or $8 last week on Navigator (I had the package so I didn't look too closely). I didn't look at other beer prices.
There is an unofficial Royal Caribbean Blog, and a poster named twangster posted the beverage menu on Navigator. That can help you get an idea of what things cost (prices vary ship to ship, but it is helpful to see approximate prices).

You can order a virgin mudslide and it’s like a chocolate shake. Irish coffee is covered so we usually start the day with two of those. If we are off the ship quick in the am, we grab some shots of baileys the night before and put them in the fridge. During sea days, we have no problem making the plan pay off.

The drinks in a pineapple onboard are not covered, but they were only like $12. Those drinks are not the best, but it’s the novelty of it.

b4 you turn in stop by any bar and they'll give you bottles of water ... we'd usually get two each no questions asked. We'd ice 'em down overnight so we'd have nice cold ones to take ashore the next day. Bottled water seemed to turn over so fast it was seldom cold.

As a follow up - how often does RCCL run drink specials onboard? I am afraid that I will buy the drink package only to find drink specials throughout the day that may the drink package less of a deal. :)

Is it also true that my wife (we are a room of 2 people) would have to purchase some drink package of some kind if I get the deluxe drink package?

As a follow up - how often does RCCL run drink specials onboard? I am afraid that I will buy the drink package only to find drink specials throughout the day that may the drink package less of a deal. :)
There's a "drink of the day" that goes for a couple of bucks cheaper. Usually a premix of some sort which aren't bad if that is your thing. They have $2 mimosa specials and a margarita/tapas combo during happy hour at Sabor - basically buy a margarita get a snack free. Once upon a time they advertised 2 for 1 specials. Now they don't and I'm not certain they have them anymore.

If you like the fancy cocktails but don't want to splurge on the drink package, AND you think you can hold off until about halfway through the cruise (sometimes earlier, but you need to ask the bartenders), a 10 drink punch card will be offered. This will probably save you $3-5 per drink, assuming that you purchase as expensive a drink as the card will allow (same max as the drink package I believe). Drinks can be shared on this card. I got it once, and it works quite well.

You can also bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom upon embarkation. Not near as generous as DCL's allotment, but you'll save some money, and to quote Geddy Lee (from Rush), "ten bucks is ten bucks".

Is it also true that my wife (we are a room of 2 people) would have to purchase some drink package of some kind if I get the deluxe drink package?
Yes. This is unfortunately common with cruise lines that offer an unlimited drink packages,. Royal started this relatively recently (I want to say 2017).

There are mixed reports about being able to purchase the unlimited package for one person and a lesser package (the soda package?) for the others over 21. So I'm unsure if "my S.O. doesn't drink" is still a valid reason. But to even get this arranged you'll need to call guest services to get it figured out.

Interesting question. I don't know but I heard about a 10 drinks card being available on the first day of longer sailings?

There's a "drink of the day" that goes for a couple of bucks cheaper. Usually a premix of some sort which aren't bad if that is your thing. They have $2 mimosa specials and a margarita/tapas combo during happy hour at Sabor - basically buy a margarita get a snack free. Once upon a time they advertised 2 for 1 specials. Now they don't and I'm not certain they have them anymore.

If you like the fancy cocktails but don't want to splurge on the drink package, AND you think you can hold off until about halfway through the cruise (sometimes earlier, but you need to ask the bartenders), a 10 drink punch card will be offered. This will probably save you $3-5 per drink, assuming that you purchase as expensive a drink as the card will allow (same max as the drink package I believe). Drinks can be shared on this card. I got it once, and it works quite well.

You can also bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom upon embarkation. Not near as generous as DCL's allotment, but you'll save some money, and to quote Geddy Lee (from Rush), "ten bucks is ten bucks".

Yes. This is unfortunately common with cruise lines that offer an unlimited drink packages,. Royal started this relatively recently (I want to say 2017).

There are mixed reports about being able to purchase the unlimited package for one person and a lesser package (the soda package?) for the others over 21. So I'm unsure if "my S.O. doesn't drink" is still a valid reason. But to even get this arranged you'll need to call guest services to get it figured out.

I heard that when you say that X doesn't drink to buy a solo alcohol package, X cannot buy alcohol otherwise there will be consequences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts