The DVC-Rent/Trade Forum is brutal . . . for the DVC owners

Anyone want to help me out on deciding about renting this year? We have a Thanksgiving week trip booked in a 1 BR at SSR. We sold our house and are moving everything into storage for 6 months while we build so with everything decided we are going to skip Disney this year. So because it’s a holiday week do you think I should try and rent the reservation here on the Dis or cancel and rent the points through an agency?

The thing about renting an existing reservation here is that you either need to pay an extra fee or wait until your 30 days from check in. If I've read everything correctly that will be a fee of $199.95 to list it more than 30 days in advance.

What is your UY? If you'd have plenty of time to rent the points I'd probably lean towards that vs renting the reservation.

This is why many owners use agencies. The agency deals with all the pre qualification and questions. Can be totally worth it.
THIS. The headache inst worth the difference in money (to me)

Anyone want to help me out on deciding about renting this year? We have a Thanksgiving week trip booked in a 1 BR at SSR. We sold our house and are moving everything into storage for 6 months while we build so with everything decided we are going to skip Disney this year. So because it’s a holiday week do you think I should try and rent the reservation here on the Dis or cancel and rent the points through an agency?
There is someone on another thread looking for that week( they are new and messed up the booking booking a week early), they are talking studio, but may be interested.

If you get any private messages about your reservation, you'll probably want to ignore them to avoid getting scammed. Change your week in the message to "a holiday week" instead of what you have.

Have rented out to 5 different people, and only 1 person was a pain to deal with, the other 4 people were very good to deal with, and even 2 of them have become "Dis-Friends" here. So, there are pros and cons to renting your points out yourself, yes it takes time, but if you don't mind explaining things to newbies about how DVC bookings work, it can be a lot of fun. It can also bring up things about DVC that you have never thought of, which could open your eyes to other things at Disney that your family might like to try.

If you have the time, I think it is worth it.

I resemble that remark!

I rented from several people on this board before buying resale myself. It was a great experience since we were already considering buying, and the owners I spoke to were very helpful in helping us narrow our choices. I did have one so-so experience where the owner was less than responsive once I paid, but it all worked out in the end. Even that experience taught me: how NOT to be when on the owner-side of renting points.

I resemble that remark!

I rented from several people on this board before buying resale myself. It was a great experience since we were already considering buying, and the owners I spoke to were very helpful in helping us narrow our choices. I did have one so-so experience where the owner was less than responsive once I paid, but it all worked out in the end. Even that experience taught me: how NOT to be when on the owner-side of renting points.
You have to be aware that most owners who are renting out their points really don't plan to be your travel agent. They just can't use their points and want to make a little cash.

You have to be aware that most owners who are renting out their points really don't plan to be your travel agent. They just can't use their points and want to make a little cash.
I guess my post could have been read another way. No one was my travel agent, nor was I looking for a travel agent. I've rented only from owners on the DIS, and never pestered with questions unless it seemed like the owners were willing to chat. The first owner/rental was the so-so one. I didn't ask him any questions about DVC because at that time, we weren't really aware of resale or considering it. The lack of communication was regarding basic things like - DME - which he specifically said he'd do for us and which we couldn't do ourselves, and he was unresponsive for quite a while. The latter rentals were the ones where I lucked out and "met" owners who were happy with their DVC and clearly seemed like they were interested in talking about DVC.

I have rented points many times via the Dis Forum website with much success. Bu,t I also educated myself with how DVC rentals work. When requesting availability I always mention I am familar with the process. Advance planning is the key and many times, when we go to Disneyworld and where we stay is based on a random forum post from an owner renting points at the right price at the right resort we might want to return to or give a try. I have been blessed to deal with some fantastic owners and attempt to make the transaction as seamless as possible.
I do see the downside (for the owners) with inexperienced renters and the many questions or the fact they can not "PM" yet or even know what that is.

I have been a member of DVC since 1997 and have rented points numerous times on the rent/trade board over the years. I have never had a bad experience and all my renters have been extremely complimentary of my service.

You wouldn't be able to list it here on the Rent/Trade board until later unless you pay for premium access. Even then, certain weeklong reservations are not permitted to discourage the sale of reservations obtained thru an RCI trade. Read the Rent/Trade Board rules before you decide to go that route.

Depending on your UY, it may make more sense to rent the confirmed reservation thru a broker instead of cancelling and renting out the points. If you have a Dec. or Feb. UY then list the confirmed reservation because availability is limited between now and when your points expire. If you have any other UY, then cancel (so another DVC Member can get their WL filled) and rent out the points either here or thru a broker.

Definitely some renters have unrealistic expectations about availability, but most repeat renters that I deal with are looking to book their trip as early as possible.

Overall I find renting points through disboards to work out very well.

The big pain is getting up at 5am to make the booking. Why can Disney pick a better time for opening bookings, like say midnight.

Definitely some renters have unrealistic expectations about availability, but most repeat renters that I deal with are looking to book their trip as early as possible.

The big pain is getting up at 5am to make the booking. Why can Disney pick a better time for opening bookings, like say midnight.
Because midnight your time is 3 AM for others. It's always going to be inconvenient for someone.

[
............(snip)......... The big pain is getting up at 5am to make the booking. Why can Disney pick a better time for opening bookings, like say midnight.
I've been told it has to do with availability of IT help desk hours. Given the number of upset Members when things don't go just right, I can't blame them.

No matter what time they pick, it will be inconvenient for some. FWIW, I suspect there are more Members and employees living in the Eastern time zone than in any other. YMMV.

I sort of read the complaint is that you need to kiss a lot of frogs (renters with unrealistic expectations, those who try and negotiate a 'deal,' those that have no idea how expensive it is and have you do all the legwork before backing out) before you find a prince (the renter who knows what they want, contacting you in plenty of time, who doesn't try to lowball you). I think once you find your renter, most rentals go pretty smoothly, its the process of emailing people who post "I'm interested in your points" to find out that they want BWV standard studios for 2019 at $10 a point - then want to argue with you about availability because they saw rooms available on the CRO website.

I sort of read the complaint is that you need to kiss a lot of frogs (renters with unrealistic expectations, those who try and negotiate a 'deal,' those that have no idea how expensive it is and have you do all the legwork before backing out) before you find a prince (the renter who knows what they want, contacting you in plenty of time, who doesn't try to lowball you). I think once you find your renter, most rentals go pretty smoothly, its the process of emailing people who post "I'm interested in your points" to find out that they want BWV standard studios for 2019 at $10 a point - then want to argue with you about availability because they saw rooms available on the CRO website.

You definitely have to go through a bunch of inquiries that don't lead to anything. That doesn't really bother me. Until the brokers increase what they pay owners I will continue to do it myself.

You definitely have to go through a bunch of inquiries that don't lead to anything. That doesn't really bother me. Until the brokers increase what they pay owners I will continue to do it myself.

For some people it won't - for others it isn't worth their time. It certainly isn't worth my time for a few more dollars per point.

Most of my "new" renters are unfamiliar with the sense of urgency in booking right at the 11 month mark. My two resorts ( VGF and CCV) require 11 month booking, and sometimes need to be done on that first day. It may appear that I am pushing the reservation on them when in reality I'm trying to grab thier reservation before the days are gone. As the renters wait to make a decision the availability goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!