The DVC-Rent/Trade Forum is brutal . . . for the DVC owners

Mickey of the Villages

Can't have nice things
From time to time I look at the Rent/Trade forum. Someone offers points for rent or trade then they are bombarded with questions anyone renting points should know.

Or, they receive impossible tasks like making a reservation at a resort other than their home resort in the next 7 months. I don't get it. Do others see this?

Agreed! I am not an owner. I have rented once, but through a broker. I had a LOT of questions but asked the person handling my reservation. Less money for the owner this way, but also less hassle.

I have seen it. I guess some people are desperate to rent points and they don't fully understand the system. They don't realize the fact that they need to book 11 months out if you want a studio, or that they will never be able to book a value room. So many people looking to rent don't understand how DVC works, despite owners listing their points clearly for what they are.

I work in the timeshare industry and every day I see owners who don't have a clue what they own or how to use it. (Though the DVC members I have experienced are more educated than most). On the other hand, I experience renters every day who don't understand what they're doing and have unrealistic expectations. Thinking that a timeshare or vacation rental is the same as booking a hotel room.

So I'm a firm believer in educating one's self before buying a timeshare, renting out a timeshare or renting someone else's timeshare.....Unfortunately, most people just don't want to take the time.

This is why many owners use agencies. The agency deals with all the pre qualification and questions. Can be totally worth it.
We rented out points maybe 4 times via disboards years & years ago. While I worked with some lovely people, the hours of extra work isn't worth making a dollar or 2 per point over what the brokers started paying. "Work" being defined as fielding multiple questions on how to use the point charts, what rooms fit how many, amenities at each resort, etc....only to be told they decided it was too much money. I might eventually list on Disboards again, but would have to get a feel for whether the higher price per point is worth it when that time comes.

I rented points out last week using an agency and it was almost too easy. I filled out the questionnaire of how many points, where, use year, etc. and within the same day that matched me up with a renter. The agency sent over the renters information and I booked the reservation. Then within a day of emailing the agency the reservation information I had 70% of the money in my Paypal account. I get the rest once the renter stays at the resort but still a very easy process. I agree you could make a few extra bucks using the boards but I just didn’t want the hassle. Plus all of the risk is on the agency as they guarantee you will get your money.

I listed 60 points a couple of years ago, and almost 75% of the requests I got were people who had no idea how many points were necessary for their reservation (e.g., a dedicated 2 bedroom for a week), or wanted a reservation under 3 months away. It took a week before someone came along with a request I could actually fulfill. Renting points through a broker was MUCH easier.

I transferred some points here last year and the only replies were from seasoned DVC owners. It was a seamless transaction. It's when trying to rent points that sometimes a large amount of 'education' is involved.

I have had excellent results posting my points for rent here. As an owner, you need to set firm terms and not deviate from them. Set expectations early in your conversations with potential renters. Easy to weed out the “ testers”.

That's why the sticky threads are at the top of that board. And that's why they say READ BEFORE POSTING.
100% Agree. And too bad that so many do not read them. Those owners who don't lose several days each time their thread is declined and needs to be resubmitted.

All of the May declined threads were due to posters failing to read the directions before posting.

May 2019 Rent/Trade Threads

Have rented out to 5 different people, and only 1 person was a pain to deal with, the other 4 people were very good to deal with, and even 2 of them have become "Dis-Friends" here. So, there are pros and cons to renting your points out yourself, yes it takes time, but if you don't mind explaining things to newbies about how DVC bookings work, it can be a lot of fun. It can also bring up things about DVC that you have never thought of, which could open your eyes to other things at Disney that your family might like to try.

If you have the time, I think it is worth it.

Anyone want to help me out on deciding about renting this year? We have a Thanksgiving week trip booked in a 1 BR at SSR. We sold our house and are moving everything into storage for 6 months while we build so with everything decided we are going to skip Disney this year. So because it’s a holiday week do you think I should try and rent the reservation here on the Dis or cancel and rent the points through an agency?

Anyone want to help me out on deciding about renting this year? We have a Thanksgiving week trip booked in a 1 BR at SSR. We sold our house and are moving everything into storage for 6 months while we build so with everything decided we are going to skip Disney this year. So because it’s a holiday week do you think I should try and rent the reservation here on the Dis or cancel and rent the points through an agency?
Since it's such a popular week and if you tell everyone this is what's for sale and I'm not going to check on other things then I say rent it here on the DIS. My guess is you get a few hundred dollars more. But if it turns into a bloodbath doing that I'd call an agency. Maybe start with an agency - maybe they would pay a premium for that week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!