The flu has me freaking out!

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
Okay, maybe freaking out is an exaggeration... but I am concerned.

Traveling to WDW by car with a four year old, 2 year old, and 9 month old. All healthy with pretty decent immune systems -- that we can tell ;) The four year old and two year old each do plenty of activities/school in our home town so they're exposed to germs often, and the 9 month old is exposed to the other two... so there's that. We have been continuing life as usual with this scary flu season, although I have avoided taking the kids to the grocery store when I can because they touch EVERYTHING. I'm working on teaching them to keep their hands out of their mouths, but that's next to impossible. The four year old is a hand licker.. maybe thats why her immune system is pretty strong?! ;)

Everyone in the party had their flu shots months ago, so here's to hoping it'll help.

Anyway, we'll be coming down in two weeks. We COULD postpone our trip until the end of February/beginning of March, but my crystal ball (haha) isn't working so who knows if the flu situation will be any better by then?

Thoughts? Would you still go in two weeks or postpone by a few? Or go with it and hope for the best?

***Any tips for staying healthy at WDW during flu season? We are staying in our personal motorhome at FW.

Omg, I’m in the same boat, but we leave in 8 days. I was diagnosed with the flu 2 days ago and DH has me quarantined in the bedroom. I feel much better, but want to cancel the trip because I’m afraid the kids will get it.

Omg, I’m in the same boat, but we leave in 8 days. I was diagnosed with the flu 2 days ago and DH has me quarantined in the bedroom. I feel much better, but want to cancel the trip because I’m afraid the kids will get it.

Oh no!!! I hope you get to feeling better. On the positive side of that, you know they've been exposed to the germs... so maybe their bodies have built up some more immunity against it?! Healthy antibodies, right?

I wouldn't postpone because someone might get the flu and considering that you've made it this far flu-free is pretty good. I'd suggest that everyone who can take their vitamins, bring hand sanitizer, and plenty of hand washing.

That's the plan. My main concern is the desire to hug characters. Maybe we'll teach fist bumps?! ;)

My husband, my nine year old, and I all got it before Christmas. Despite being stuck in our house with three sick people, our nine month old didn’t get it.

I agree. I wouldn't post pone either. I would do what the above poster said and bring some sanitizing wipes and wipe down everything in the hotel room.

Hope you feel better soon.

GO GO GO! You could get the flu ANYWHERE, why postpone? Wash hands, take hand sanitizer with you, take a multivitamin and probiotic and have fun! :)

Why would you consider postponing? We can't live in a bubble. Take common precautions and go enjoy. If we're worried about catching the flu, then the kids shouldn't go to school, nobody should go to a mall, we should never shake anyones hand, etc... Not trying to be harsh, but these are things we face every single day. WDW is no different.

You can catch it either there or at home. No reason to postpone. Wipe down your airplane seat area, & maybe wear masks on the plane (the plane is the highest risk area in terms of breathing the germs in). Wipe down common surfaces at the resort upon arrival, and kids' hands after every ride and character interaction.

You can catch it either there or at home. No reason to postpone. Wipe down your airplane seat area, & maybe wear masks on the plane (the plane is the highest risk area in terms of breathing the germs in). Wipe down common surfaces at the resort upon arrival, and kids' hands after every ride and character interaction.

I read too that you can put neosporin around your nostrils and it will help block out germs. Not sure how effective it us but might as well try!

At our infection control meeting it appears that all circulating strains in our state are covered by the flu vaccine. All fatal cases as of yesterday here were in persons over age 55 with no know history of receiving the seasonal influenza vaccine this year.

Personally, I wouldn't postpone Disney for flu. If I had concerns upon boarding the flight of another ill passenger I would use sanitizer, not touch my face, etc.

Traveling to WDW by car with a four year old, 2 year old, and 9 month old. All healthy with pretty decent immune systems -- that we can tell ;) The four year old and two year old each do plenty of activities/school in our home town so they're exposed to germs often, and the 9 month old is exposed to the other two... so there's that. We have been continuing life as usual with this scary flu season, although I have avoided taking the kids to the grocery store when I can because they touch EVERYTHING. I'm working on teaching them to keep their hands out of their mouths, but that's next to impossible. The four year old is a hand licker.. maybe thats why her immune system is pretty strong?! ;)

Everyone in the party had their flu shots months ago, so here's to hoping it'll help.

Anyway, we'll be coming down in two weeks. We COULD postpone our trip until the end of February/beginning of March, but my crystal ball (haha) isn't working so who knows if the flu situation will be any better by then?

Thoughts? Would you still go in two weeks or postpone by a few? Or go with it and hope for the best?

***Any tips for staying healthy at WDW during flu season? We are staying in our personal motorhome at FW.
I would go if I were you. Lots of planning and to lose all of it would bother me more than getting sick. As far as tips go, it sounds like you are on the ball like you should be. We had antibacterial gel with us at all times, wash up before a snack or meal. Hold their hand(s) in lines so they dont touch the ropes or the whatchyamacallits? I have my kids also swish and gargle listerine. We also packed a mini hand wipes in our park bag. Best of Luck.

At our infection control meeting it appears that all circulating strains in our state are covered by the flu vaccine. All fatal cases as of yesterday here were in persons over age 55 with no know history of receiving the seasonal influenza vaccine this year.

Personally, I wouldn't postpone Disney for flu. If I had concerns upon boarding the flight of another ill passenger I would use sanitizer, not touch my face, etc.

Where are you located?

I’m totally freaked out about it. I won’t go to the indoor play place this season in our town. I’m just bundling the kids up and bringing them outside in the yard.

We do lots of hand washing etc. I give them vitamin C and probiotics. We all got the stomach flu at Christmas time and it was horrible. Even my 3 month old got it. Terrible.

A few years back my uncle flew here to NH for a visit and got the flu while he was here. He lives in orlando and flew home with the full blown flu. He had to be taken off the plane in a wheelchair by the flight team. I was FURIOUS. Still am. To think of all the people on the plane that he exposed it to. Since then I am so skeeved by planes.

My neighbor went to wdw in December with her family and her husband got the flu the day they got home. He was the only one who caught it though and it was over pretty fast. He had the flu shot.

Just wash your hands like crazy. We go in April and I really hope the season will be over by then.

Worrying will only compromise your immune system. Wash your hands, eat well, take your vitamins, and get plenty of sleep. Most of all, take a deep breath, smile, and relax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter