The Fort Won't Be The Only Dog-friendly WDW Resort Much Longer . . .

At those prices I could send mine to CAMP here at home cheaper and save on cost of the RV and be miserable with missing them We'll keep things the way they are

I just wonder if the dog rooms will be designated for dog only families?
I know that some people are severely allergic to dog dander.
We had a resort and allowed dogs when we first started. However, after just one seriously allergic guest, we banned all pets.
I, for one, would like to see a no dog policy, except for service dogs.
What happens when a family with a tired, irritable little one needs a nap in the middle of the day, and the dog next door is whining and barking??? I know guests will go to the parks as much as possible, which leaves the animal alone in their room to bark and whine and disturb other families who are trying to rest.
I don't know what the rationale for this sudden change is? (unless of course it's MONEY)

I see nothing good coming of this. One exception, the cabins. There is space between them and outdoor area is open compared to other resorts. I hope I am wrong.

I love dogs and have had quite a few but I think if they want to allow dogs that the rule should be they can be in your room when you are there such as at night, but when you are out of the room they must be in kept in the kennel. They could even include the cost of the kennel including R/T transportation for each day in the price.

As a PP said what happens when you want to go back to your room, or have a little one who needs/wants to nap and the dog is barking etc. I know they said the dog must be well behaved etc, but what happens when the dog is not behaving and the people are not coming back for hours? I hope they have something to combat that such as the person has to leave a cell number with the front desk.

I think the cabins are a little different in terms that they do not share walls etc, so I could see them being allowed there. But are they only going to allow dogs in just certain rooms or even rooms in specific loops? I just made a mock booking and no where did it have an option for the dog. But the FW portion of the Disney Site says to call

Dog-Friendly Accommodations

Bring your pampered pooch to stay with you at The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort.

Here at Walt Disney World Resort, we know that dogs aren’t simply pets—they’re members of your family. And since family is at the heart of everything we do, for a limited time, your furry friends are welcome to join you at select Disney Resort hotels. Let the tail wagging commence!

Note: Limit 2 dogs per room. Restrictions and fees apply.

How to Book
To bring your dog along on your upcoming visit, please call (407) 939-7539. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Services for Guests with Dogs
During your stay, Best Friends Pet Care can provide assistance with dog walking, day care and other pet services (fees apply). For details, please call (877) 4-WDW-PETS or (877) 493-9738, or visit bestfriendspetcare.com. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Wonder what's going to happen when someone makes a reservation online and shows up with Fido thinking they can just add it when checking in and they don't have a pet room available? Will they just give them any room?

It will be interesting to see. Especially if someone who's allergic gets's one of those rooms and it hasn't been properly cleaned, which of course I hope never happens.

I always thought that it would be a good idea for a new Moderate level hotel to be all pet-friendly. Not being a pet owner anymore, I'm not going to speculate if it should have been all dog or dog/cat or even broader. But an entire hotel given over to families with our 4-legged friends means EVERYBODY knows some level of what to expect if they were to stay there (or not). Or designate one of the existing hotels as all pet friendly.

This idea of mixing rooms (some pet, some not) doesn't sound to me like it will work in the long term. I run into the same thing when travelling and staying in a room that somebody snuck a pack of Marlboros into and consumed a week before. Sure it's been cleaned, sprayed, etc. but there is usually a trace. It would end up being like running two resorts at the same location: the FW Cabins WITH pets and then the FW cabins without pets. I can understand campsites being both because Mother Nature provides a heck of a breeze to diffuse the odors. But an enclosed space like a room that's sealed up most of the day doesn't click with me.

And folks with allergies, depending on sensivity, could have issues. I don't think this idea has staying power.

Bama Ed

PS - now they might have some brand new FABULOUS cleaning technology I'm not aware of. But Mousekeeping already has issues as documented on the Resorts Board and this might add to those.

I always thought that it would be a good idea for a new Moderate level hotel to be all pet-friendly. Not being a pet owner anymore, I'm not going to speculate if it should have been all dog or dog/cat or even broader. But an entire hotel given over to families with our 4-legged friends means EVERYBODY knows some level of what to expect if they were to stay there (or not). Or designate one of the existing hotels as all pet friendly.

Brilliant idea. I would go further and actually make it a one of a kind for Disney mixed category hotel. Theme it like a moderate in terms of pool, food options, etc. but have room types from all categories, value, moderate, and deluxe. So whether someone wanted a regular type hotel room, a multi-bed room suite, or something in between to fit their needs they could get it. If you want to stay with a pet (not including service animals of course) you stay there. Have a smaller kennel available on property and offer dog walking and other services.

Brilliant idea. I would go further and actually make it a one of a kind for Disney mixed category hotel.

Jim,

DVC could do this too. A DVC resort that was all pet friendly would differentiate it from the other DVC properties. Of course there are a lot of unanswered questions but when you are looking for new ideas to separate yourself from the rest, this is a new idea that hasn't been used yet.

Bama Ed

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ect-walt-disney-world-hotels-starting-oct-15/

The cost is kinda steep $50/75 per night as a pet cleaning fee which starts 10/15/17.

Would this option get any of you Fort dog lovers in rv's or trailers into a Resort hotel (FW Cabins are included).

Bama Ed

To answer your question, yes, I like that dogs are going to be allowed.

Dogs are already allowed, as service dogs are legally allowed. This is the next step and a good and fair one to take. In deference to people with true allergies or just a repugnance to the idea that a dog may have been in the room at some point, it would make sense for Disney to separate the area from the guest with no dog area. Dog owners may also like this as well.

That said, I may never take a dog to Disney again as one of my dogs passed on and the other is just not a good traveler so he is much happier at home and not in a strange environment. The dog that passed had visited Disney a couple of times and was kenneled there. She loved to ride in the car and loved the attention she got at the kennel. If she were still around I would book a trip just for her!

There are a significant number of large well-known hotel chains that do allow pets, and have for years. Most do not have designated pet rooms and if you've stayed at any of these properties, you may very well have been in a room that was previously occupied by a furry friend. Disney is simply following suit. I do agree that a stay at Disney differs from other hotels in that it is a destination resort, rather than a "passing through" accommodation. At Disney it is likely that pets may be left unattended for significant periods of time. There will be those irresponsible pet owners who leave barking, howling dogs and don't clean up after them, just as there are now at The Fort. There will also be those with well behaved pets.
FWIW, I believe that most pets may be cleaner, with better toileting habits, than the humans who occupy the same hotel rooms.
I agree that this is an idea whose time has come, but think they should have rolled it out on a very linited, trial basis.

I am currently on hold with Disney regarding this right now. My son has severe allergies and asthma. His biggest asthma trigger is dog dander. We have dealt with rooms that obviously had a service animal in it before us, and we always have to move. Typically 5 minutes in a room is all it take to set him off. Pets being allowed in the rooms week after week, will completely change how we do Disney.

I can truly empathize with those who have genuine allergy concerns. This is really no different from what is currently happening on airlines with both service animals and onboard pets. The nature of the closed cabin space means that passengers can be exposed to dander and other allergens rows away, and even from the clothing of other passengers. I recently witnessed a family being offered an opportunity to change their flight arrangements when they complained about the dogs being allowed onboard. We all know how well they clean planes between flights - so isn't this a concern even if there are no observable pets?
Please report back to let us know if Disney is setting aside designated rooms.

We'd have to take our dog to daycare anyway as he's a yapper when left alone so it wouldn't work for us even if we lived within a reasonable 'driving distance'. Which we don't! $37.00 daycare + $50-75.00 cleaning fee per day is $87.00 or $112.00 per day for a 'pet friendly' stay. For that price I can kennel him in a 'Paradise Suite' in our local 'pet spa'. Private room with a real bed, online 24 hr web cam, private play sessions & walks, and a flat screen TV for $81.00 per night. Even better, we'll stay at the Fort & do doggy daycare like we did the last time.

If Disney is going to do this, they should have a 'pet free' wing or floor. Someone could then request the 'pet free' wing only, specifying that they have a dog allergy, in the same way that people with mobility problems request rooms on the ground floor or near an elevator.

Last edited:
Nope, bad idea as far as I'm concerned. I agree, go all pet or none at all due to pet allergies.

I don't see this going well. It's one thing keeping them in your own camper where the hair and odor leave with you but when you are counting on mousekeeping in its already no where near as good as it used to be state...this is almost laughable.

I am currently on hold with Disney regarding this right now. My son has severe allergies and asthma. His biggest asthma trigger is dog dander. We have dealt with rooms that obviously had a service animal in it before us, and we always have to move. Typically 5 minutes in a room is all it take to set him off. Pets being allowed in the rooms week after week, will completely change how we do Disney.

What was the outcome of your call??

With this new idiotic change by Disney, I am more thankful than ever that we are RVers. I've never liked hotels no matter how nice/expensive they are.

I have a 'not close' relative that has a small 'fluff' dog that has peed on every hotel bed they've stayed in. Nothing is really 'seen' by the time they leave. She is a super nice person otherwise but totally blind to any fault of little fluff ball.

Nope, no way, no how! I want my own clean bed/room that doesn't have the smell of dog (oh, yes, I can tell, no matter how clean they are) or the thick deodorizer 'cover up' smell that is nauseating.

Then, the potential lawsuits when a small child reaches out to pet a dog in an elevator or path, and gets bitten!! Our dd has a scar on her cheek where a small dog bit her in our yard when some neighbor children came by with it. She was only 4. Her only fault there - reaching down to pet it!! :sad2:

OK, off my soapbox now!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter