The Fort Won't Be The Only Dog-friendly WDW Resort Much Longer . . .

See, this is why I like squirrels.

Can 'almost' agree with you!!

Except, we have wooded acreage with hundreds of squirrels for the acorns, and those buggers are one more pest - those strong jaws can get into almost anything that's not nailed down - oh, wait, they can do that too! :eek:

Kudos to those of you who recognize that your dogs would not make good neighbors during a trip to WDW.

Seems like some of these concerns are about the excretions of dogs. Have you not seen the numerous TV shows about the "evidence" humans leave behind in hotel rooms? :magnify:Just another reason why we love our RV! I'd rather sleep with my dogs any day. :dogdance:

i am a big animal lover! I don't like keeping my 2- 4 legged girls in the camper more than an couple of hours. But in a strange place, different noises, our little one would bark. I agree they should not be pinned up in a hotel/cabin room.
Missy is fine in the camper, & we have taken them once with us. They are good riders & love the doggy park.They prefer to stay with our Son & play with their 3 dogs.

Frankly, I'm surprised it has taken this long. I've always been surprised they didn't have some of their hotels pet friendly...

What was the outcome of your call??
The CM had zero information, and could make no guarantees. She said that we could end up with a pet room. I informed her if that was the case then I needed to cancel our reservation. She said she would make a note in our reservation, and we should contact the front desk upon arrival. This is ridiculous. The chances of a pet having been in our cabin prior is low, but don't roll out changes like this without notification. If this had been delayed six months, I could've switched resorts. But, there isn't much I can do when I'm notified six days prior to arrival. I am truly disgusted.

Oh this is great news. Now I would not bring them if I were going to the parks. I don't like leaving them for to long. When we go to friendly places for the dogs I may leave them for about 30 minutes to go get something to eat and come back. Or I stay and hubby goes out to get food. For me personally dogs barking don't bother me unless I know it is a cry because something might be wrong.

Most places I learn keep a set number of rooms for pets. Most places we visit and shops are very dog friendly so we can take them most places with us. Even in hotel rooms I put out pee pee pads just in case. I keep my dogs as quiet as possible so they won't bother people.

The CM had zero information, and could make no guarantees. She said that we could end up with a pet room. I informed her if that was the case then I needed to cancel our reservation. She said she would make a note in our reservation, and we should contact the front desk upon arrival. This is ridiculous. The chances of a pet having been in our cabin prior is low, but don't roll out changes like this without notification. If this had been delayed six months, I could've switched resorts. But, there isn't much I can do when I'm notified six days prior to arrival. I am truly disgusted.
If its any consolation I am in the exact same boat. I doubt they even tag rooms that have had pets in them. We are going the first week in december and there is no availability anywhere else unless I want to pay $1500/PER NIGHT more. I’m very unhappy to say the least.

So, again, I just need to ask out of pure curiosity: do those of you with the allergy concerns ever fly? If so,how do you deal with that?
Haven't service dogs always allowed in the rooms by law?

This topic is interesting. I can see both sides. I think the idea of pet-free zones is great and it's too bad Disney cannot assure you of a healthy environment.
As far as "Why bring your dog on a vacation to a hotel?" I frequently look around when we visit WDW and think "Why on earth do those families bring their screaming little "angels" to WDW?" It can't be enjoyable to listen to, lol!

Before getting this RV we used to frequent pet friendly hotels when we took extended trips. We enjoy the company of the dogs and would never, ever consider a vet for boarding (it's like dumping them into a germ-filled sick room), and we've had a bad experience with a kennel.

So, again, I just need to ask out of pure curiosity: do those of you with the allergy concerns ever fly? If so,how do you deal with that?

This topic is interesting. I can see both sides. I think the idea of pet-free zones is great and it's too bad Disney cannot assure you of a healthy environment.
As far as "Why bring your dog on a vacation to a hotel?" I frequently look around when we visit WDW and think "Why on earth do those families bring their screaming little "angels" to WDW?" It can't be enjoyable to listen to, lol!

Before getting this RV we used to frequent pet friendly hotels when we took extended trips. We enjoy the company of the dogs and would never, ever consider a vet for boarding (it's like dumping them into a germ-filled sick room), and we've had a bad experience with a kennel.

Love your posts and agree! DH is a pilot for SW and I can tell you with 100% accuracy that planes are not cleaned after service dogs and/or emotional assistance pets are on board so I too ask do those with allergies not fly? And for those reading the posts...if you have a life threatening allergy to animals, you must show a letter from a doctor to the airline but...if there is a service dog on board the service dog and passenger get priority so you would go on another flight.

Love your posts and agree! DH is a pilot for SW and I can tell you with 100% accuracy that planes are not cleaned after service dogs and/or emotional assistance pets are on board so I too ask do those with allergies not fly? And for those reading the posts...if you have a life threatening allergy to animals, you must show a letter from a doctor to the airline but...if there is a service dog on board the service dog and passenger get priority so you would go on another flight.

My DD gets hives all over including her face and asthma when she is in contact with saliva, dander etc. When we fly I takes wipes and wipe down the seat, armrests, and table (because of germs before us and thats where people pick up most germs from planes - and I take no chances going to Disney because we really don’t want to get ill while we are there. On the way home I’m not as fanatical). We've actually never flown when there was a dog, and would only have an issue if she was in close proximity for the duration, and hopefully we could be reseated. If not, I always carry benedryl on hand although I don’t think I should have to dose her for the duration of our vacation. Its no fun taking that stuff.

For us it isn’t so much running into them around the resort. We love dogs and I think people being able to bring them to resorts is fine. Its the potential to sleep on a bed or play on a floor that has had dogs as thats when she will have issues. I think service dogs are few and far between, which gives housekeeping more time to clean the room thoroughly. I don’t know that they’ve added more staff to accommodate a higher number of lengthier cleanings that will be necessary with more people bringing animals. Since so many people have had conflicting results when asking about guaranteeing a pet free room, thats where I personally am not happy. It just seems like its not really a guarantee. If all the CMs were telling people hey yeah no problem, I wouldn’t have an issues whatsoever, even if a dog is next door. Even when I called it was a sorry, can’t help you.

I’m also sure that even good pet owners are worried about the ones that will not be properly looking after their pets. Just like us that look after our children, we don’t appreciate those that don’t. A lot of the paranoia is regarding those people I am sure as far as the other aspects of having an animal at the resorts. Honestly on our last trip someones kid defecated in one pool, and 1/2 later we had to get out of the next pool due to the same issue. I don’t understand that one either since swimming diapers are available. But it goes back to those who are inconsiderate in my opinion.

Lets face it. We’ve all been seeing more and more poor behavior at Disney. Just people throwing trash on he ground instead of a can when it’s 3 feet away for example. I think the majority is the panic of thinking about those people bringing their animals with them to tell you the truth.

We do fly, but we have also switched flights due to a service animal being on board. I haven't noticed any issues while being on a flight, but the longest flight we have ever been on was only 4 hours. It's different than sleeping in a room with dander.

Also, I have noticed that most hotels/resorts seem to book service dogs in the handicap accessible rooms. Not always, but it does seem to be a trend. When I book, I request non handicap accessible rooms, which tends to alleviate that problem.

Like I said before, this isn't an issue of Disney allowing dogs, but the lack of notification. This is a HUGE change, and guests should've had time to make appropriate resort changes.

I could've switched resorts. But, there isn't much I can do when I'm notified six days prior to arrival. I am truly disgusted.

Hopefully as they just rolled this out not many people have been taking advantage of this new policy as they had also had no prior notice of the change. We check in Friday and the DW is allergic but it's nothing that a little benedryl can't manage I think for her it's more of the sneezing and not breaking out in hives. But I hope there hasn't been a dog in our room just to be safe.

I'll admit I am no expert on pet dander but wouldn't the fact that there is very little in the way of rugs in the cabins, as compared to a regular hotel room, cut down on the dander that remains? Or at least make it easier to clean up as it does not get embedded in the carpet? I know there isn't much you can do about the beds and couch though.

I agree with your overall point, but don't you think you're overreacting when the change only happened six days before your arrival date? Thinking about cancelling six days out? The chances of someone taking advantage of this in your cabin and also checking out in those six days has to be almost nil. Absolute worst case scenario would be one cabin change if the first had had a dog in it. For someone staying two or three months from now, I definitely see the frustration... possibly too late to change, and a relatively large window of uncertainty.

Rusty the only reason I have for bringing a pet is Mallory's situation. It is just not possible to leave her with anyone. That is the reason we got the rig. That being said Mallory has stayed in a hotel 3 times. Once on our way to Ohio, yeti stayed with my folks. We were visiting for xmas and the drive was too long for me to do in one trip. It was her first time in a hotel and was only alone long enough for us to get dinner. Then she went to two marathon trips with me. One to Myrtle Beach and the other NOLA. Again most of the time with us but not all the time. Of course with Mallory she can't move and her bark was affected so not many would be able to hear her. Yeti again stayed with my folks.

For me with her I like the idea, but she is NOT a normal dog now. Honestly I would never do it with yeti. He barks too much. Right now with his age and issues he can't stay with my folks. For us with two of them we either take the rig or don't go.

I am planning the Chicago marathon next October, Mallory will come to the hotel with us. Sadly I don't expect yeti to be around by then. If he is, it may just be me going to Chicago.

I agree with your overall point, but don't you think you're overreacting when the change only happened six days before your arrival date? Thinking about cancelling six days out? The chances of someone taking advantage of this in your cabin and also checking out in those six days has to be almost nil. Absolute worst case scenario would be one cabin change if the first had had a dog in it. For someone staying two or three months from now, I definitely see the frustration... possibly too late to change, and a relatively large window of uncertainty.

We will have to agree to disagree. Yes, the chance is small, but had I had more notice I would've switched resorts. And, considering my sister checked into YC about 3 hours ago, and has already seen 2 dogs, I'm betting there have been a couple at the cabins. I'm just really frustrated with the lack of information the public and CM were given. There was no reason other than money to make this change on such short notice.

This is directly from an announcement on the Disney Parks Blog:
We will also designate certain floors or sections of a hotel as dog-friendly, while the majority of areas will remain canine-free to accommodate Guests with allergies or other concerns.
So I'm not sure why there is such disparity in the responses from Disney if this is so. The CMs should be a ble to parrot this to concerned guests, and those with concerns should be a ble to get a "pet-free" accommodation.

This is directly from an announcement on the Disney Parks Blog:
We will also designate certain floors or sections of a hotel as dog-friendly, while the majority of areas will remain canine-free to accommodate Guests with allergies or other concerns.
So I'm not sure why there is such disparity in the responses from Disney if this is so. The CMs should be a ble to parrot this to concerned guests, and those with concerns should be a ble to get a "pet-free" accommodation.
And thats why everyone is so upset! She literally told me they had no idea which of the buildings would be accomodating animals. That should definitely be general information by now. To me it says there really aren’t designated buildings and they are just trying to smooth everything over by telling people what they want to hear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter