The future plans for Epcot "the spine"...

Farro

Argh.
Any idea when they plan to start digging up Future World?
I look forward to the changes, but we are going April/May 2020 and I was excited to see the Flower and Garden festival, but now I'm thinking construction may change those plans.
In my head I see Future World as a giant construction wall.
Will Flower/Garden be discontinued? Or am I being too dramatic in my view of the scope of construction?

Thoughts?

I don't think any real details have come out as far as timing for the Spine update - though the other day there was mention that the latest rumor is that it won't be complete in time for WDW's 50th

now, some could be done, it could be in process, it could not be started - that is not clear

at the end of the day it is still the way people get from the front of the park to the back, so they can't really have the whole thing closed at the same time so will probably have to be done in stages

And Disney is doing more and more festivals so i can't imagine them discontinuing F&G - just might be modified for a few years

I don't think any real details have come out as far as timing for the Spine update - though the other day there was mention that the latest rumor is that it won't be complete in time for WDW's 50th

now, some could be done, it could be in process, it could not be started - that is not clear

at the end of the day it is still the way people get from the front of the park to the back, so they can't really have the whole thing closed at the same time so will probably have to be done in stages

And Disney is doing more and more festivals so i can't imagine them discontinuing F&G - just might be modified for a few years
It really depends on what plan they go ahead with. The plan we saw at D23 gets rid of the innoventions buildings altogether. Other plans only get rid of one side. I think getting rid of the stones at the front is pretty certain though.

It really depends on what plan they go ahead with. The plan we saw at D23 gets rid of the innoventions buildings altogether. Other plans only get rid of one side. I think getting rid of the stones at the front is pretty certain though.

yeah, that's true - what they showed at D23 was clearly indicated to be concept art and not necessarily anything that will actually happen

Having seen it though, if all they do is get rid of the legacy stones and give the rest a fresh coat of paint or whatever I, at least, will be a bit disappointed

The stones could go now really.

Is it right that they HAVE to be located elsewhere because of the terms of leave a legacy? If so, they can go to the bottom of Bay Lake

Thanks!

If it's modified that's okay, we've never been to one at all so we won't know the difference! ;)

We are used to construction, when we went in 2014 both MK (the HUB) and AK were pretty much all walls.
2017 was great construction wise.

yeah, that's true - what they showed at D23 was clearly indicated to be concept art and not necessarily anything that will actually happen

Having seen it though, if all they do is get rid of the legacy stones and give the rest a fresh coat of paint or whatever I, at least, will be a bit disappointed

It was just concept art, but there has been firm confirmation that the plan is to open up the front of Epcot and to diminish the concert jungle feel of the front of the park.

I know what you really meant, but the idea of a concert jungle sounds intriguing...
I was thinking the same thing. But in the end, so long as the cemetery gets moved, the rest will feel like less of a concrete jungle. And since I love the EPCOT music, a concert jungle might be a bit restricted in what I would want to hear them play!

If the plans are to remove/change Innoventions buildings, I could see that whole middle area a big construction wall, but still have the ability to get around via the big open middle area. Like others have said here . .probably no different (at least for a while) than the HUB construction they had at MK.

I think until they finalize the hotel plans that may or may not go near the epcot entrance, we won't see what the spine project might or might not entail. I think they intend to give Epcot plenty of love, but I think they are a bit paralyzed with the many options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!