The Gay Show!

Olly

Associate Producer
So many of you seen 'The Gay Show' pilot we put out a few weeks back. If you didn't you can see it here:

We'd love to know what topics you'd like to see covered on the gay show? It doesn't just have to be Disney related, we're open to covering anything in the Orlando area.

We enjoyed watching that episode. Hope you'll cover other things as well. Recently saw "Drag Queen Christmas" and thought that might have been a perfect topic. How about Hamburger Marys? Too stereotypical?

Also wonder if there are sections of town that you would not feel comfortable in. I'm guessing that the areas right around WDW are pretty friendly. Not so sure about some of the other areas.

I loved the gay show! I think it would be really interesting to see more people like Brian, who've come to Orlando from another place and how that place compares to Orlando and Disney World. Also, if there have been any incidents at Disney Parks where you haven't felt comfortable being "out" with a partner, or how the parks have handled any instances of a guest-on-guest homophobia - if there are even any instances to speak of. While I agree, Disney has always felt very friendly, I think it would be good to give people a full idea of what they might encounter, even if it is negative.

On a more fun note, it could be interesting to hear how face characters handle same-sex couples, in the event their relationship be made clear (like with anniversary buttons or through conversation). How has Disney instructed the characters in their kingdom handle something that is so absent from their cinematic worlds?

Also, how do places like Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique handle little boys who want the princess dress? I've often wondered if they "let" that happen and never really heard much about it.

Also, how do places like Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique handle little boys who want the princess dress? I've often wondered if they "let" that happen and never really heard much about it.
I believe that another member posted a thread in this section about their gender fluid child going to BBB and being treated no different from all the little girls.

ETA: Here's the thread.

I believe that another member posted a thread in this section about their gender fluid child going to BBB and being treated no different from all the little girls.

ETA: Here's the thread.

Oh yes, that's wonderful to see! Then, to amend my question, what about non-fluid boys? The ones who present as male but still want to be a princess. Personally I've always identified as male, but still would have loved to dance around in a princess dress as a child. After seeing that thread I'm sure it's no problem, but I'd still be interested to hear.

Loved the show, and I hope to see many more in the future. I especially like the idea of highlighting LGBTQ+ owned businesses. I know that clubs and the larger bars tend to be better advertised than smaller businesses, so I would greatly appreciate being directed to those places.

I am from New Orleans, and while we have lots of gay bars/club, we also have a bevy of "not officially gay" joints that attract the community. Would love to know if there are any places like that in the Orlando area to expand the options.

All the above doesn't necessarily have to focus on bar/club scenes either. Lord knows I don't have most the energy for that after a day of visiting the parks.

Also, any good Disney-themed drag revues? :P

How about a review of some of the performances at the Dr Phillips Center for the Performing Arts? Enjoy going there if for no other reason than to see what happens when Orlando gets dressed up. ;)

I know you only did the one episode of The Gay Show, but do you have any plans to do any more?

I believe that's exactly why they started this thread - to get ideas for future episodes and content. Hopefully we see more of it soon!

Ryno said he usually assumes someone is gay when he hears they work at Disney World, and while at first I was a little surprised by that I quickly realized that of the four people I know who've done the college program three of them are somewhere on the LGBT spectrum. That got me wondering about the backstage culture; what makes working at Disney, not just visiting, such a beacon to our community. I guess with that and my other wonderances, about character interaction and boys wanting to do something that's exclusively "for girls" (and vice versa), I'd most like to hear in deeper-detail how accepting Disney World is, and how specifically they incorporate that acceptance into the overall story-telling of Disney World, since storytelling is such a huge component.

Also, on a purely human-interest level, I'd love to hear more about the panel's personal experiences growing up gay, coming out, finding their partner/spouse. As I was coming to terms with myself I always found hearing other people's stories helpful, and now that I'm in a good place I enjoy hearing other people's experiences.

I believe that's exactly why they started this thread - to get ideas for future episodes and content. Hopefully we see more of it soon!

Ryno said he usually assumes someone is gay when he hears they work at Disney World, and while at first I was a little surprised by that I quickly realized that of the four people I know who've done the college program three of them are somewhere on the LGBT spectrum. That got me wondering about the backstage culture; what makes working at Disney, not just visiting, such a beacon to our community. I guess with that and my other wonderances, about character interaction and boys wanting to do something that's exclusively "for girls" (and vice versa), I'd most like to hear in deeper-detail how accepting Disney World is, and how specifically they incorporate that acceptance into the overall story-telling of Disney World, since storytelling is such a huge component.

Also, on a purely human-interest level, I'd love to hear more about the panel's personal experiences growing up gay, coming out, finding their partner/spouse. As I was coming to terms with myself I always found hearing other people's stories helpful, and now that I'm in a good place I enjoy hearing other people's experiences.

I know a few CMs who have something of a rustle of taffeta about them. Something they have mentioned many times over the years is how Disney have always automatically covered same sex partners on their healthcare plans.. So they're pretty accepting, and that must be a big draw. To just know you're going to be safe. And looked after. At least when it comes to your health..

I came out of lurking to express my love of this show. Please, *please* continue this in some form. I would love to hear more about LGBT locales around Orlando and park-relevant material but I also think it would be great to address topics relevant to our community even if they're not Disney/parks related. You guys all did an incredibly fabulous job..hope there will be more! :rainbow:

When is The Gay Show Episode II? I'm a straight Kansas City redneck but I find your show absolutely hilarious. Even though the show caters to the gay community there are plenty of entertaining aspects of WDW from the gay perspective. Heres a terrible show idea. "Walt Disney World Through the Eyes of a Redneck" Can a get a cough...giggle..."crickets?"...

I wonder what Oliver leaving means for future episodes of The Gay Show. I know The Dis of course has more LGBT employees than just the ones in the first episode of The Gay Show who could participate, like John and Kevin, but since they weren't in the first episode I wonder if they want to participate.

I wonder what Oliver leaving means for future episodes of The Gay Show. I know The Dis of course has more LGBT employees than just the ones in the first episode of The Gay Show who could participate, like John and Kevin, but since they weren't in the first episode I wonder if they want to participate.
Hi all,
How come Oliver left? I just start watching all the shows on the youtube channel, I love all those restaurant reviews. I having seen any show explanating why he left.
And I like the Gay show, I thought there will be more, but i only found one.

Hi all,
How come Oliver left? I just start watching all the shows on the youtube channel, I love all those restaurant reviews. I having seen any show explanating why he left.
And I like the Gay show, I thought there will be more, but i only found one.

The show never gave any explanation for his leaving, but it appears he left for a job at Universal.

At this point I would imagine The Gay Show is no longer happening, because they just passed up the perfect opportunity to return. The whole "controversy" around LeFou in Beauty and the Beast, and the amount of bigotry it aroused here on the boards and in the Disney fandom in general, would have been a great topic for The Gay Show to cover. I would still be very interested in hearing what Pete, John, Kevin, and Ryno have to say around all that ridiculousness (both the bigotry and how insignificant this "exclusively gay moment" turned out to be), but since we just had a huge story about Disney concerning LGBT issues come and go with nothing from them, I'd bet we've seen the last of The Gay Show.

Personally I think a review of things in the glbt/Accepting areas of Orlando community would be an added bonus to your existing shows even if they were a 15 min segment every now and then.

I too was looking forward to more shows. Especially ones that highlighted queer-friendly businesses in the Orlando area that aren't Disney. When I'm visiting I so rarely roam from on-property, so I wanted recommendations of where to spend my money when I have a car & can break free.:D

As has been reported elsewhere on the boards, Oliver is back with his own Vlog channel! I'm hoping this means he goes ahead with his own version of The Gay Show, since it seams to be dead at the Dis. This is such a great concept for a regular show that could produce important information for LGBT travelers to the Orlando area; I know it would certainly make adventuring outside of the Theme Parks more comfortable for me - I've done so before and not felt comfortable/welcomed at all. it would be a shame if The Gay Show continues to go nowhere.

Any chance their will be an episode to highlight Gay Days?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts