The Gimpy Diaries...an August 19 PTR (update 7/30)

Simba's Girl

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone!

First time TR'er long time fan...Lemme introduce myself and my family:

ForDisboards.jpeg

I'm Heather, last time I was in Disney I ran the marathon, yup, this year's marathon. It was my first one and while melting during it...err running it, I messed up my foot big time. I'm scheduled for reconstructive surgery just 5.5 weeks before we head down from our home in central, MA. This is the main reason for this PTR/TR to chronicle the decisions made along the way as well as how I & my fam will get along with 'The Gimp'.

Visits: Too many to count
Favorite Park: AK
Favorite Hotel: Ask me at the beginning of September :)
Disney Pet Peeve: Smoking in non-smoking areas

My hubby is B. Last time he was in Disney he did Dopey. I'm the one who got him hooked on running. Now he wants to do all the races, but I'd be jealous if he ran Disney without me. HA!

Visits: Also too many to count
Favorite Park: EP
Favorite Hotel:WL
Disney Pet Peeve: He's pretty laid back but time wasted with MB issues is high up there.

My middle DD A, is in pink. She's going to be a HS junior next year. She's a talented dancer and wants to go to college for dance. I spend lots of my spare time driving this kid around (no license yet, long story) which is why I had to schedule my surgery for the middle of July instead of right when I knew my foot wouldn't heal on it's own.

Visits:At least 10, but I lost count
Favorite Park: EP
Favorite Hotel: BC
Disney Pet Peeve: When mom forgot to allow charging on my MB last time! (whoopsies!)

S is the baby of the family and will start middle school next year. She is our most sporty DD. She enjoys running too and is looking forward to joining the CC and track teams at her new school. She's run the 10 K the last 2 years in January.

Visits: Probably like 7 or so again, lost count.
Favorite Park: She's an animal lover too, so AK
Favorite Hotel: Poly
Disney Pet Peeve: Being hot. Poor kid, too bad August had some amazing deals that were too good to pass up!

I hope you follow along for my Gimpy adventure planning! More to come....

Now we get to the part where I announce where we're staying!!!
And yes...it's as good as it sounds

This bad boy will be our "place" for 7 nights! :mickeyjum

Thank you...AP summer rates 😘

So, yes we chose GFSL because of the rates also because it's one of the hotels we have never stayed. We've been CL a few other times and are super duper excited to stay at GFSL!

Even better is our plan to get into MCO early that morning, but because of this we've decided to do a park/sleep/fly at Bradley Airport. I couldn't justify the hotel attached to the actual airport so we'll be staying at the Fairfield Inn nearby. This will mean a shuttle ride with Ol' Gimpy...but hopefully by then I'll be a Gimpy Pro!

Oh gosh! I seriously hope the teen/soon to be teen sleep on the plane otherwise I might....

giphy.gif

So for those following:

Hotel ✅ GFSL
Airline ✅ SW

Gimpy Plans in the next post....

Gimpy Plans...

First I must begin with a story...I'll try and keep it short and sweet.
A Long,Long, Time Ago

NO! Not that one...

When youngest DD was 3 months old I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis...Several years of finding the right medication to control it went by and I ebbed and flowed in and out of running. I've lost part of my elbow to my disease but haven't let that or pretty much anything else stop me from "moving forward". I'm pretty driven and can put up with a lot of discomfort but unfortunately my foot has been my nemesis since the marathon. It turns out I completely busted my plantar plate on my second toe and my arthritis is end stage on my big toe joint. My Dr. said I could run on it because I wouldn't be risking further damage because it's just gone...but...I did run on it and in the process proceeded to (potentially) tear the next toe's plantar plate. Geez! :worried: I've been "down for the count" for about a month now. No running for me, minimal walking for fun. I say that because I'm on my feet at work and that is really getting o-l-d. I had to schedule my surgery for the summertime because it of course is my right foot and I need to drive my offspring around and now I'm counting down. Just over 5 weeks left until the big day. Yes, I know it'll be worse before it gets better but I am so, over it.
giphy.gif

So with that story and background I've been generally open to scootering around Disney if needed and this time, it'll definitely be needed as I'll be in my 6th week post-op. My doctor wasn't too excited about me doing Disney post foot reconstruction and possibly still being non weight bearing but I told him I'd rent a wheelchair. I decided to rent a scooter from Gold. I went with a scooter because well, I'm an independent sort of gal and my elbow is a little limiting sometimes.

I've been hanging over at the Disabilities board soaking up alllll the information over there. Overwhelming yes, and I'm not quite sure what to expect (hence this TR). 😁

Me and my independent Gimpy self also decided to go ahead and purchase one of these bad boys...

My reasoning behind this is that I wanted to be able to get out in the garden and I watched someone in a knee scooter have a very hard time on grass at a park for a fair. I don't want anything to do with not being able to do the things I want to do (even if I'm a clunky, Gimpy, fool).

Hello :wave2: I’m joining in, wowsers on completing a Disney marathon! Congrats.

I totally understand the arthritis situation. I’ve got a bad hip due to onset arthritis and have recently completed a 10k...not in my fastest time but still 🤷‍♀️

Woohoo on your Disney resort! Looking forward to reading more.

Tanz x

Hello :wave2: I’m joining in, wowsers on completing a Disney marathon! Congrats.

I totally understand the arthritis situation. I’ve got a bad hip due to onset arthritis and have recently completed a 10k...not in my fastest time but still 🤷‍♀️

Woohoo on your Disney resort! Looking forward to reading more.

Tanz x

Thanks and Welcome!

Fast Pass Day is rapidly approaching...
and so is surgery day!

First the fun...FP+ Plans

Monday-arrival day
  • Arrive at GF around 12:30
  • ADR at GF Cafe at 12:45
  • Hopefully room ready shortly thereabouts so that we can rest up for....
  • AK!!!! Late set of FPs (hoping for 6,7 & 8 ish in times....)
    • Primevil Whirl
    • Safari
    • ROL
  • Then DAH in AK!!! (YAY this looks like a fun way to experience Pandora at night and the whole park at night and we are so looking forward to it)
Tuesday
  • Sleep in
  • HS FP+ (hoping 10:30,11:30,12:30)
    • Either SDD or TSMM
    • Star Tours
    • ToT
  • Then lunch at YC
  • Rest at GF in PM
  • Pick up rando FP+ at EP after using last FP in HS and close EP-EMH until 11 If we can't get a rando FP+ then we'll try another park
Wednesday
  • Sleep in
  • Epcot FP+ (11,12,1)
    • SSE
    • LWTL (LWTL tour after, special request by DD3)
    • Hop onto Soarin' before...
    • TT
  • Here's where we're hoping to try something new: Tutto Gusto for lunch!
  • Rest at GF
  • Head back out to MK after picking up rando FP+ after using last FP+ at Epcot (possibly meeting up with friends who will be vacationing same time as us for drinks)

Thursday

• Sleep in
  • FP+ HS
    • Same order as Tuesday...not much to do here but pick up FP+ we didn't get on the first time
  • Close another park picking up rando FP+s...or drinkies with friends.

Friday

• RD EMH MK
  • FP+ MK
    • SM
    • MT
    • Splash!
  • Then p/u FP+ for night at a park or drinkies
    • I'm thinking that watching HEA would be good this night

Saturday

• RD MK
  • No clue where or what I'd like to FP this day....but evening FP+ would be good. I guess we'll see this Thursday what happens

Sunday
  • EMH DAK until shortly after our Tusker Brunch (this is what I call a late breakfast FP+ at this restaurant since they just seamlessly change from brekkie to lunch)
    • Planning on Pandora during the EMH hours (probably with the rest of the world)
    • Then FP+ 9,10,11:30
      • Safari
      • Everest
      • Kali
  • Then Nap and pack
  • Evening at Epcot...one last night for Illuminations: Reflections of Earth :sad:

Foot News:
Surgery day is rapidly approaching, finally. I am D.O.N.E. with this. My foot hurts and just seems to hurt more and more. It's strange because I'm not FBing any of this at all and only have told a few people about it in my life. I'm sick of publicizing my issues on that platform like I've done in the past. They are doing a diagnostic ultrasound on Wednesday just so my doctor knows what he's dealing with. I had the option of cancelling it if my 3rd toe felt better than what it felt like a month or so ago. It has not and only felt worse. I've picked up several books to read while I'm resting and am going to ask work for 4 weeks off total. I just can't see myself not working for longer than that. After those 4 weeks I've asked for restrictions for the next few weeks to accommodate the fact that I won't be driving as well as the fact that I'll still be NWB for 2-4 weeks after that. I already have my vacation approved through work so I'm not worried about getting that approved as well otherwise I might just ask for the full 6 weeks (LOLsss)

Apologizing for the pic unheavy post...just can't think of any witty ones to insert in this very cerebral planning post!

OMG!!! I've been a busy lady!!!

Popping in for an update...

giphy.gif
Fastpass day came and went...Only issue I had was getting SDD, so it had to wait until the latter part of our trip, but we got it!

FPs for the following days/times:
Monday the 19th ( the day we plan on staying for AKAH)
*EE 6-7p
*Safari 7-8
*ROL 8-8:30 (WOO! This will be a "new to us" experience since we've never seen it or the original one since they just changed this

Tuesday
We're gonna sleep in a bit, since we'll be up late and have had gotten up early the prior day
*Star Tours 10-11 (but will most likely get there closer to 11)
*TSM 11:30-12:30
*RnR 12:30-1:30

****having a hard time finding a decent place to eat at HS, not my favorite park for lots of reasons and this is one of them. REALLY want to do the HBD Lounge buuuutttt August in Florida soooo, likely it'll be a game time decision and I'll keep everyone updated

Wednesday
*also plan on sleeping in a bit, plan on shutting down EP because IRC it's PM EMH till midnight
*10-11 SSE (also will likely get there closer to 11)
*11:15-12:15 TT
*12:30-1:30 LWTL

We also plan evening EMH this day at MK, probably will watch HEA this day too.

DD3 has requested we do the tour of The Land, so we'll try and do it near the time we do the FP. While I'm laid-up from surgery I'll probably research this.

Thursday
Will be sleeping in a bit so getting to MK on later side of 1st FP+ time
*9:40-10:40-SM
*10:40-11:40 Buzz
* 12:15-1:15 Splash (I picked this to be last one of day because the possibility of getting very wet.)

No afternoon/evening plans except to maybe meet friends for drinks

Friday
RD AK EMH
Ride open rides, possibly FOP (plan on riding FOP a LOT during AH on Monday though)
*Dinosaur 9-10
*EE 10:15-11:15
*Kali 11:20-12:20 (see above for reason why this is last lol)

Same afternoon/evening plans as above

Saturday
I only have 2 FP for this day....I can't figure any other out in HS so I might have to settle for ST again. It's not really my favorite, but HS isn't really my favorite park either
*5:15-6:15 TOT
*6:20-7:20 SDD

We may RD a park in the morning, just depends upon how we're feeling

Sunday (last day)
RD AK again
*9:25-10:25 Safari
Breakfast (well really brunch, we got a 10:40 reservation at TH)
*12:15-1:15 FOP
*1:35-2:35 Kali (same reasoning)

We *WILL* be watching Illuminations one last time this night...We'll miss it LOTS and LOTS
Regarding empty afternoons/evenings we'll probably either pick up FP+s together or DH & I will send the gals off to pick them up. I do know DH wants to go to Trader Sam's this time.

Next post will have a general "life" update...

General "Life" Update
  • Nationals!!!!
    • DD & her team did very well! The group made it to the dance off at the end but were sort of robbed because a very large group that shouldn't have been placed in that division was in it and won it. DD scored the highest she has all year on each solo and got a special emotional execution judges award for one of them. She also did awesome in the Opening act!
    • Not a huge fan of the boardwalk at VA beach, just not our thing.​
    • We ate seafood every day! Lots of teammate's families got fast food but we stuck to local places and ate so well!​
  • Surgery/foot
    • I had the foot ultrasound just before we left for Nationals. It confirmed a total tear in the second plantar plate but DID NOT show a tear in the 3rd! So only 1 plantar plate repair with a fusion and a side of tendon releases...still a huge reconstructive foot surgery​
    • Surgery is *this* coming Friday!!! It came quickly after Nationals. Luckily my boss gave me off starting on Tuesday so I can sort of (as much as I can with my messy 12 year old) get the house in order and food purchased and made.​
    • I'm starting to add things to my list for packing that I normally wouldn't as in a rain cover for a walking boot and shower caps. I'm sure that there's something else that I'll think of.​
    • Pain, I stopped taking my regular NSAID on Thursday. Now my foot kills and my elbow kills and now I remember why I take it. LOL I'm aiming to stay away from it for about 10 days post surgery to aid in the bone healing process so I have to pick up some extra strength tylenol and see if it helps some.​
This is my last update until after surgery!!!! I've purchased several books to read, am waiting to watch Stranger Things 3 until afterwards and hopefully I can finish the baby blanket I promised DD's dance teacher while I'm recovering. As well as plan and get excited for the GF!

I've got some good news and some bad news....
July 14 day post surgical update

Bad news first
giphy.gif

DH was laid off 3 days after I posted my last update, 3 days before my surgery. He had been at the same company for 19 years. Luckily he is eligible for unemployment and got a decent severance and his position is in demand so hopefully that makes his return to the workforce speedy. In all honesty he wasn't happy there ever since the company was sold a few years ago and he was waiting for this to happen so he's better off than he would've been if he left on his on accord. That said...we are STILL going on our trip with NO change in plans except...

Good NEWS!!!

We're going to Batuu!!!
giphy.gif

We got into the Passholder Previews with the help of these here boards. I am strangely excited for not being a huge SW fan. All of us plan on binging all the movies before we leave to get us in the spirit.

Health news:

Yup I had my surgery, yup it sucks being non weight bearing. I have been able to be a bit more active these last couple days. My foot certainly lets me know when I've overdone things that's for sure. I've pretty much moved on from the knee scooter and onto the iWalk full time. It did take me some time and increased strength than that I had than in the first 7 days or so. I've been able to do some body weight strength exercises the last couple days and yoga too. My stitches come out on Monday and I get to see my scars and the X-rays from surgery and that day. I'm going to ask my Dr. what the indications are that I'm ready to move to a boot because it's been hella hot this summer and I'd honestly like to air my foot out and wash and I can't do it casted. TBH I'm fairly certain that he put me in a cast to keep me somewhat chill, you know so I didn't over do it. When we were discussing the recovery period before surgery he said 5 weeks minimum in a cast then a boot. 5 weeks is the Friday before the Monday that we leave so *hopefully* I'll at least be in a boot for the trip-but I may not. Which at this point is fine, not ideal but fine, I've been able to get around decently. Only thing that freaks me out is going downstairs, which kinda sucks because we have stairs entering the house from the basement and stairs to get up to the bedroom. So I just slide down on my rear to get to the main level and go outside on a bit of an incline on my iWalk to get to a car.

Mini-update

My stitches came out yesterday and my doc and all said my foot looks really good! Woohoo!!! I convinced him to let me come in for the pin removal and walking boot the Thursday before the Monday we leave. He's super easygoing and said since I've been doing so well that he'd let me. I mean, it's only going to be 4 weeks, 6 days since surgery so I think it'll be good. It is my understanding that he will allow me to walk on it at that point. He said the main reason for the casting is to prevent complications, hard to argue with that. I'm obvi still going with the scooter and mobility aids while in The World but the boot and PWB will make things a LOT easier. It looks like I'll be able to get in the pool and cool down AND not have to worry about how to take a shower in the hotel, which is a relief.

Other planning essentials:
1.) clip on fan for the scooter
2.) 2 clip on cup holders for the scooter
3.) velcro straps with hooks to hang bags/stuff from the scooter
4.) knee-hi rainboot covers for rain and possibly water rides (I'll also bring kitchen trash bags or double bag, I'm not too sure weather or not the rain cover will be strong enough for Kali <snickers>)

DH is enjoying his time in Beantown while DD2 does a dance intensive (the best laid plans, he was supposed to be at work during this time). He's been taking calls from recruiters, tweaking his CV, enjoying brews at local breweries, coffee at shops, walking the city and even took DD3 into the aquarium last week. They have a week and a half left and then we have a week home and then we're gone! In the meantime I'll be doing this:

Attachments

• 67484296_10218215907966755_3809441979289305088_n.jpg
    67484296_10218215907966755_3809441979289305088_n.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter