The good, the bad and the undecisive.. or maybe the magic is fading for us.

CindeBella

Mouseketeer
We recently returned from our WDW trip and had a nice time. As always, we love BWV. Our son wasn't feeling well one morning so we couldn't make our fast passes. After speaking with a nice man at the front desk, he issued us 5 anywhere/anytime passes for that day. Also, after receiving notification at the last minute that MK would be closed one evening due to a private event, he was not able to guarantee the fireworks would be on schedule. We had reservations for California Grill at 9pm with hopes for viewing them from the deck (we do this each trip). He rescheduled for the following evening but could only get us in at 7:30pm and told us the fireworks would be at 9pm. They were at 10pm so we ended up missing them because the kids were tired and wanted to go back to the resort.

As for the room - unfortunately, we were unable to book a lock-off with a boardwalk view but given a garden view for the same points. I wouldn't have minded so much if there weren't work trucks blocking the lake each day but would have rather saved the points and booked a standard view. On a positive note, it was nice to see the hallways and rooms were updated but, unfortunately, my husband to adjust the dishwasher door each time it was used. Luckily, this wasn't often. Unless something changed and I am unaware, housekeeping is supposed to clean once for stays over 7 nights. We only received towel service once.

The good: For the parks, we were excited to experience Star Wars weekends again. My husband and sons especially love the special souvenier shops dedicated to the films. Epcot is always enjoyable and we love everything about the park. My husband and I dined at Monsieur Paul for the first time and loved it! We always return to the Japan restaurants because the food is excellent and the service is impeccable. Also, had a great time at Animal Kingdom and MK.

For the not so good I suppose: Don't misunderstand, we had a great trip but these are a couple of things we noticed. Maybe it's just us, but it seemed the cast members weren't quite as friendly. I wonder if it was the heat or maybe because our kids aren't small any longer so they're not as friendly? We were in line for Test Track and our boys were laughing and talking and not paying close attention when the cast member needed to repeat which numbers to stand on. She became noticably frustrated when she had to repeat the numbers a couple of times and kept rolling her eyes. Another instance, my daughter and I arrived at MK for our Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast reservations and upon scanning our Magic Bands, I smiled at the young lady at the stand but she wouldn't crack a smile and looked on. I understand everyone has bad days. There were a couple of other instances as well. Don't get me wrong, there were wonderful cast members as well but we've never encounted that behavior in all of the years we've been visiting so it came as a shock. Maybe we were just lucky before? One evening, we were celebrating my husband's birthday at Flying Fish and a large group came in with crying kids and they sat them right next to us. Our server was wonderful, as usual, and completely understood our request to move and was apologetic although not his fault. It sucks that you spend $170 for a dinner for two and have to listen to tired, crying kids... I felt bad for them also. They were tired and wanted to sleep. When my kids were small and began to cry at a restaurant, I promptly took them out of the dining room and if it persisted, we ordered carry out.

Just another thought.. does anyone else find it difficult to stay on a tight schedule due to fast pass times? There were a few times we wanted to do something else but the thought of standing in line for our favorite rides for 2 hours+ made us go anyway. I miss the days of getting up, deciding which park to visit, getting FP and having a (somewhat) leisure day. School just got out, the last thing we want to do is be on a tight schedule again. With our two oldest in high school, we can't take them out of school for vacations any longer. Our choices are Spring Break, a short trip after mid-terms in the fall or in late May.

We had fun, as always, but the "magic" didn't seem to be there as it once was.

Last edited:
I think your feelings are similar to many regarding CM's, Pete has mentioned this a few times on the Podcast ...while many College Program CM's are excellent, some just aren't in the right role.

I feel your pain about dining with children -when you're dropping $150-200 on a "romantic" meal, can there be anything worse than over-tired children at the table next to you? Well, maybe there is -but... I understand we're at Disney, but if you plan on taking kids to a nice restaurant -try to take them early ...or if they're acting up remove them at your expense, don't hold them hostage at someone else's expense.

Last edited:
I agree with your thoughts on FP+. I felt like we spent time waiting around for our time bc we didn't want to venture too far/ get stuck in too long a line and miss our FP+ time. I too miss the days of deciding which park that am.

This sounds very similar to our trip two years ago. Very little magic and a good deal of "meh". We had an awesome summer vacation last year and didn't miss Disney one bit. In a moment of nostalgia I decided to book a trip for this July. We also decided to add once in a lifetime experiences because, frankly, if it isn't magical we won't be back.

I think your feelings are similar to many regarding CM's, Pete has mentioned this a few times on the Podcast ...while many College Program CM's are excellent, some just aren't in the right role.

I feel your pain about dining with children -when you're dropping $150-200 on a "romantic" meal, can there be anything worse than over-tired children at the table next to you? Well, maybe there is -but... I understand we're at Disney, but if you plan on taking kids to a nice restaurant -try to take them early ...or if they're acting up remove them at your expense, don't hold them hostage at someone else's expense.

I agree, and agree. Now that you mention it, the ages of the CM's were college age. In regards to the restaurant, I wish the restaurant employees would consider seating from the beginning. If you see a tired toddler, you what is coming next...

I agree with your thoughts on FP+. I felt like we spent time waiting around for our time bc we didn't want to venture too far/ get stuck in too long a line and miss our FP+ time. I too miss the days of deciding which park that am.

We, too, spent a lot of time waiting for our next fast pass. With unexpected changes such as a sick child or last minute notification that a park will be closed, it can throw off the rest of your vacation and dining reservations. Due to the MK being closed at last minute and the change of our California Grill reservations, we missed out on another restaurant that was completely full.

This sounds very similar to our trip two years ago. Very little magic and a good deal of "meh". We had an awesome summer vacation last year and didn't miss Disney one bit. In a moment of nostalgia I decided to book a trip for this July. We also decided to add once in a lifetime experiences because, frankly, if it isn't magical we won't be back.

Your once in a lifetime experience sounds fun! We won't be going to Disney next year.

Just got back Saturday night and I've got to say that I was totally underwhelmed with many of the interactions with the CMs. That never used to be the case. The positive experiences were few and were with older CMs not affiliated with the college program. Many of the younger CMs were distracted and not engaged. I came across many instances of CMs goofing around with each other and talking about what they did last night or over the weekend while people were within earshot. Others would complain loudly about their jobs in public. Some were just outright short with people. While in a counter service restaurant, one of the CMs would go off the line and go over to a group of college age friends and start yelling and cheering about something. This happened twice while my husband and I were in line and also while there is a crowd of people waiting a long time for their food. This was also about 11 PM and not many people were amused by the shenanigans. Another instance was while in a food court line, a guest was not able to understand or hear what the girl at the register was saying and she turns to another girl at a separate register and she makes a face and they both started laughing at his expense. These CMs are the front line of Disney and I'm finding some of the behavior unacceptable. Most of these CMs lack maturity and another reason may also be the lack of training.

Last edited:

I'm hoping you have a better experience than we did last week. We also had many "meh" moments. Part of the magic for me is the CM experience and I found that sadly lacking. Frankly, I was, at times, appalled! We also took a year off in 2014 and went to Maine instead and we had a blast! So there are other options besides Disney which in the past was hardly ever the case.

Last edited:
Just got back Saturday night and I've got to say that I was totally underwhelmed with many of the interactions with the CMs. That never used to be the case. The positive experiences were few and were with older CMs not affiliated with the college program. Many of the younger CMs were distracted and not engaged. I came across many instances of CMs goofing around with each other and talking about what they did last night or over the weekend while people were within earshot. Others would complain loudly about their jobs in public. Some were just outright short with people. While in a counter service restaurant, one of the CMs would go off the line and go over to a group of college age friends and start yelling and cheering about something. This happened twice while my husband and I were in line and also while there is a crowd of people waiting a long time for their food. This was also about 11 PM and not many people were amused by the shenanigans. Another instance was while in a food court line, a guest was not able to understand or hear what the girl at the register was saying and she turns to another girl at a separate register and she makes a face and they both started laughing at his expense. These CMs are the front line of Disney and I'm finding some of the behavior unacceptable. Most of these CMs lack maturity and another reason may also be the lack of training.

Funny that you mention this. My daughter(17) is in WDW now with her 3 friends celebrating their graduation. She had never used the magic band before and was struggling a bit to enter Epcot and she said the CM came over with a rotten attitude acting as if my daughter was suppose to understand how it works. After she got through, she said she heard her saying something under her breathe. I understand that having to help 50% of the people entering because no one has used the band before is a PIA ...but don't hate the player, hate the game(as someone says). Great customer service! They'll be hearing from me ...the really sad thing is that my daughter said she was an "older" woman so not even a CP CM.

That's too bad and it does leave a sour taste. Really...an older CM. But regardless of what age that behavior is unacceptable! I would certainly let them know.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, I should have got some names of people who were unpleasant. I know where but don't know who.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, I should have got some names of people who were unpleasant. I know where but don't know who.

I wish I had too. I wrote a letter to customer service in regards to our trip. I feel it's my responisibility to notify them of our experiences. Hopefully, things will change for the better if they receive complaints regarding negative experiences. I don't want to stop visiting WDW or sell our DVC but if the "magic" is no longer there, we won't return.

Last edited:
I wish I had too. I wrote a letter to customer service in regards to our trip. I feel it's my responisibility to notify them of our experiences. Hopefully, things will change for the better if they receive complaints regarding negative experiences. I don't want to stop visiting WDW or sell our DVC but if the "magic" is no longer there, we won't return.

I hear you! I have to take the time to do the same. It helps to put it in writing. If I didn't care so much about WDW, it wouldn't bother me so but I do and it's up to me to share my experiences with them.

I hear you! I have to take the time to do the same. It helps to put it in writing. If I didn't care so much about WDW, it wouldn't bother me so but I do and it's up to me to share my experiences with them.

Same here. I've always loved Disney and my family does also. I have yet to receive a response from them in regards to the email I sent. If I do, I will be sure to post their reply.

We visited Disney last Aug (our 10th trip), we too noticed the rudeness of the CM's.. I did write to Disney when we got home (put in a complaint while we were still there as well) and was contacted by phone about a week later. We had several awful interactions that I could have dealt with however, the final straw was with a CM at AK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter