The great “mask” debate

Would you wear a mask if required to enter the theme parks?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Masks alone wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, though like pretty much everyone, I wouldn't particularly enjoy wearing a mask.

My decision when to go will be more based on what experiences are available. If they are severely limited with long waits and tons of restrictions, that wouldn't be worth it to me, masks or not. With a (fairly) full park experience, I'd be more open to it. Also, with masks, I'd consider NOT going in the height of summer and try to go during a slightly cooler season.

I voted no. As much as I would like to get back to the parks sooner rather than later, and I understand the need for them, masks are a no-go for me. A big part of the Park experience for me is interacting with the team members and other guests. Masks make that harder. Not to mention that as a lady of a (ahem) certain age, masks and hot flashes are not fun LOL.

I have stayed in the house for the last two months.

Literally inside? I'm sorry. I hadn't heard of that being a requirement unless you're in South Africa (where they aren't even selling booze, and weren't letting people take dogs out for walks!). Even my friend who had a liver transplant and is therefore on immunosuppressives gets out most days for a run.

Their current policy allows masks to be removed for the eateries in City Walk.

Which is obviously something that has to be allowed, but then also for drinking. Which many do a lot during the day. And kids will pull them off. And asthmatics, to use inhalers. And just to get more oxygen after a build-up up of CO2. And then you realize that all of those exceptions are going to add up to "what's the point"...

I'll wait.

OH WAIT, maybe at Halloween would be a great time! Yay, finally we get to wear masks again at themeparks!!! Then again, nefarious types might take advantage. Drat.

Fun fact:

WHO states:
  • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
Period.

From watching many many people, I'll state that almost no one I've seen is doing anyone any good by wearing their cloth masks. It's all security theater (and a whole bunch of virtue signaling).

I've seen people constantly touching them, adjusting them, pulling them down, pulling them up, putting them up on the tops of their heads. I've seen people only covering their mouths, and one memorable dude in the parking lot of Trader Joe's wearing it, literally, only over his nose and cheeks. People wear them while sweating. People wear them and breathe into them until they are so damp they literally suck into their mouths while breathing. That's a vile breeding ground if ever I saw one.

AND the people in my area wearing masks that I've noticed (and I'm noticing a lot, because I'm polite and I stand and try to wait for people to move until I enter an aisle or area) are absolute failures at "social distancing." They put those masks on and think they are golden. But when you read the CDC page (which I do just to see how silly it is compared to WHO), it doesn't say "6' away unless you're wearing a mask"...the very first line is about staying 6' away.

One lady at TJ was standing 12' behind the person in front of her, was wearing gloves and touching many things, got her cart, started walking forward (as I tried to stay 6' behind her), stopped sudddely to grab the sanitizer (after watching the employee spray them with their sanitizing fluid, and, again, while she wore gloves), started walking, got inside the door, stopped suddenly, started again, stopped even more suddenly, and there was only 2' on each side of her...and she was holding up everyone being let in at that time. Just madness. This is why people are getting crazed.

So...I'll wait. And I'll remind myself and anyone who will listen that this STARTED *in a mask-wearing culture*, so obviously even the masks worn for the rampant air pollution in China didn't do anything to help them.

And I'll reminisce on the illness my teen and his best friend had in January, the symptoms of which would get them presumed positive in a heartbeat, which despite their staying home for over a week (they could barely get up to use the bahtroom) ran rampant through their ballet studio, and wish that the powers that be could see that it's been around just a smidge longer than they think. (his illness popped up 1/17, and later on we found out that the first positive in our area was the 15th...and that was just a guy who was kinda sick and had just gotten home from Wuhan, which is the ONLY reason he went in to get checked out)

They don't bother me. I'll wear as mask. The reality is that I need to find a mask appropriate to the weather and duration that I will wear it. Of course, it has to look cool as well.

No for me. I feel a lot of people will end up disregarding it intentionally and unintentionally, they'll be eating and drinking and after a while it will feel like "what is the point of me being uncomfortable if theres a handful not abiding?"

Worse yet if I were to take it off I'd get singled out even if there were 100 people next to me without one for sure! 🤣

Fun fact:

WHO states:
  • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
Period.

Well, not quite "Period". You are quoting their stance on the need to wear medical masks. Many opine they are taking this position due to global shortages on medical masks and wish to ensure health professionals are supplied first. But you might also note that elsewhere on their site they also state:

"Avoid going to crowded places." and "If you need to leave your house, wear a mask to avoid infecting others." among many other overall recommendations.

Masks are by no means a be all/end all magic protector. But they are one piece in a multifaceted preventative approach that includes frequent hand washing, not touching your face, avoid touching public surfaces, avoid crowded places etc. etc. When taking all of these recommendations together, it provides the best overall protection.

And regardless, the WHO is one organization among many globally respected medical/health agencies. They are also taking a lot of criticism for not declaring it a global pandemic sooner. In the end the vast majority of health organizations including the CDC is recommending wearing them. In this article: https://www.healthline.com/health-n...attle-with-covid19#Protecting-others,-not-you we have this excerpt (which also touches on your assertion about China):

"The CDC supported its new position by citing several studies about the asymptomatic spread of the disease, the first of which was published on March 5 in the New England Journal of Medicine.

“It is becoming increasingly clear that all people should be wearing masks while out in public. Masks are a likely reason why the virus has been better controlled in China, South Korea, Japan, and other countries,” Dr. Subinoy Das, chief medical officer of Tivic Health and the chief executive officer of the U.S. Institute for Advanced Sinus Care and Research, told Healthline."

I would not go. My biggest concern is hypercapnia, excessive carbon dioxide in the bloodstream, typically caused by inadequate respiration. This will lead to hypoxia: a condition in which the body or a region of the body is deprived of adequate oxygen supply at the tissue level. Hypoxia may be classified as either generalized, affecting the whole body, or local, affecting a region of the body. You are sucking in your own carbon dioxide and less Oxygen. Two links: WARNING: Prolonged use of facemask produces hypoxia Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/05/warning-prolonged-use-of-facemask-produces-hypoxia/?fbclid=IwAR2rde71MxJG91jGGBtG3sB3lHc3sJYGbY3IRkf2cmsU60TULDZ0EUoSNPY Carbon dioxide poisoning study

I would not go. My biggest concern is hypercapnia, excessive carbon dioxide in the bloodstream, typically caused by inadequate respiration. This will lead to hypoxia: a condition in which the body or a region of the body is deprived of adequate oxygen supply at the tissue level. Hypoxia may be classified as either generalized, affecting the whole body, or local, affecting a region of the body. You are sucking in your own carbon dioxide and less Oxygen. Two links: WARNING: Prolonged use of facemask produces hypoxia Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/05/warning-prolonged-use-of-facemask-produces-hypoxia/?fbclid=IwAR2rde71MxJG91jGGBtG3sB3lHc3sJYGbY3IRkf2cmsU60TULDZ0EUoSNPY Carbon dioxide poisoning study
We probably will go even if masks are required but will likely reduce visits since others can’t control themselves.

That article does not appear to contain any helpful information. Having taught about monitoring of End Tidal CO2 there are some aspects that are true to what your saying but it is way over-blown. If this article held any merit all the hospital OR, Cath lab and people that work in technology clean areas would be impacted.

Last edited:
In all these similar threads, say the same thing: We won't go, not because required to wear a mask, but because what that represents...that the virus is still a significant danger... and if the virus is a danger then parks shouldn't be open anyway.

You can believe that once it is proven that the virus is not a high risk, no mask will be required... theme parks ( and many other industries) are crossing their fingers this will happen real soon.

And also again...the next few weeks will be telling with all the re-openings going on, along with the segment who refuse to follow the distancing procedures. We may find things aren't as bad as thought, or it will be 10X worse and things get real ugly.

We are hoping that masks will not be required next April when we plan to be there. We are from the West coast and struggle with the heat and humidity even without masks. I also have concerns about people passing out.

I would wear a mask. I would be more concerned with keeping the masks on my 6 and 9 year olds- we would postpone the trip if the masks were required in summer

We are hoping that masks will not be required next April when we plan to be there. We are from the West coast and struggle with the heat and humidity even without masks. I also have concerns about people passing out.
I sure hope they're no longer required by next April.....REALLY hope!

I will be wearing mine. Here's the thing,. Last time I went to Orlando and visited theme parks I got a bad bad cold. I will be wearing one regardless.

I will be wearing mine. Here's the thing,. Last time I went to Orlando and visited theme parks I got a bad bad cold. I will be wearing one regardless.
I hear ya, we already got diagnosed as positive after our Disney WBPC cruise. I would definitely be looking at it from a different angle if we hadn’t have been diagnosed. Stay safe!

Last edited:
Just curious.. If Universal requires a face mask to be worn when the parks open will you still go? I don’t think we will. I would rather wait until they no longer mandate them. Of course everyone is entitled to their own choice. I wouldn’t complain if they did require them. I would just choose not to go at this time.
It may be another 1-1/2 to two years until a vaccine is developed and in sufficient quantities for all. Don’t relish the idea of not visiting Orlando for that long. Mask we will

We wear them now everywhere Outside our home, parks are no different, shouldn’t be excluded imo

Some Masks do get warm when wearing them. will be challenging in the humidity to comply but people do have the option to not visit.

I suspect masks will be needed, when Distancing isn't doable, until a vaccine or real treatment is available.

Maybe, in the future, masks might only be required inside.
Hopefully, the scientists will be the ones making that call
You can believe that once it is proven that the virus is not a high risk, no mask will be required... theme parks ( and many other industries) are crossing their fingers this will happen real soon.
Thus far all experts have it pegged as ‘high risk’. All the wishing in the world isn’t going to make it go away. It will run its course until a vaccine is developed.

And also again...the next few weeks will be telling with all the re-openings going on, along with the segment who refuse to follow the distancing procedures. We may find things aren't as bad as thought, or it will be 10X worse and things get real ugly.
Sadly, Looking at the opposite ends of the spectrum is as good of a guess at what’s going to happen as any

We probably will go even if masks are required but will likely reduce visits since others can’t control themselves.

That article does not appear to contain any helpful information. Having taught about monitoring of End Tidal CO2 there are some aspects that are true to what your saying but it is way over-blown. If this article held any merit all the hospital OR, Cath lab and people that work in technology clean areas would be impacted.

Take a look at this one. There are many more articles and studies out there: Face masks pose serious risks

Take a look at this one. There are many more articles and studies out there: Face masks pose serious risks
I understand quite well that masks are not infallible. ESPECIALLY if not used properly. I already agree that there is a small bit of truth to the concerns but it is taken to the extreme and that is a problem.

None of that information is cited properly so a snippet quoted in an article is cherry picking NOT fact.

Don’t wear one, that is fine, but based on your principle also insist your surgeon and all the people in the or to unmask in your next surgery. And your argument is very slippery slope thinking. Based on the logic you present, cars are dangerous and should be avoided too, so don’t use one.

I understand quite well that masks are not infallible. ESPECIALLY if not used properly. I already agree that there is a small bit of truth to the concerns but it is taken to the extreme and that is a problem.

None of that information is cited properly so a snippet quoted in an article is cherry picking NOT fact.

Don’t wear one, that is fine, but based on your principle also insist your surgeon and all the people in the or to unmask in your next surgery. And your argument is very slippery slope thinking. Based on the logic you present, cars are dangerous and should be avoided too, so don’t use one.
Sounds great, just don't force me to wear one and I will not force you to take yours off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter