The great “mask” debate

Would you wear a mask if required to enter the theme parks?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Universal just announced that they would be open again on June 4/5! Better decide on your mask policy quickly!

Universal requesting a June 1 opening!

6/1 and 6/2 open to in-house...
6/3 and 6/4 open to some guests and AP holders...
6/5 open to all with limited capacity...

Great news!!!! The sooner the better. Of course they still need "permission" but it's a step in the right direction.

Could not agree more. When one considers the logistics of managing masks when spending all day in a theme park - this isn't like wearing a mask when you run into the grocery store. Hours upon hours...hot sun...attractions...eating & drinking....indoors, then outdoors...and ALL of the touching your face that this requires, over and over again, particularly if you have children. And on that note, what are you going to do when your 8-year old has already gone through 3 masks and it's only 11am, and now you're out? If you lose your mask, are you immediately evicted from the park? Do you have to buy one (for the low low price of whatever Disney decides to charge)? Or will Disney provide them for free? Will there be lost and discarded masks and gloves all over the place? Those masks are going to be disgusting and they will be EVERYWHERE.

So I will stay away if there is a mandatory mask policy. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have had a chance to get visits in on both coasts this year before things got crazy. I didn't realize at the time that it would probably be the last time I'd be in a Disney or Universal park for a while. But the way things are shaping up, it likely will be. :(
This is what happens when execs in their ivory tower air conditioned offices feel they know what it's like on the ground. Also unfortunately I see this as a permanent measure because they see most people as being paranoid, not wanting to go unless they're required. In reality the ones who are encouraged by the policy will be probably far outnumbered by those who stay away. Either when they consider how it would be, or after they foolishly try to do ordinary park days in the searing heat and humidity like that

One bit of advice on the masks I got form a vlogger yesterday - bring several masks with you each even if you are using the cloth reusable ones. They get sweaty and messy in the heat.
As others have mentioned hopefully people will discard these properly and they dont end up all over the parks.

Also bring some baggies with you so you have somewhere top put it when you stop to eat. Toothsome was giving people baggies to store their masks in - but not all the restaurants were doing this. (that may change)

I did have a question in regards to the policy they have stated on masks. they state everyone, even for citywalk. disney springs requires 3+. Would that also be the same for UO (due to the CDC not recommending masks for 2 and younger)? We are visiting my brother end of next month and trying to do something one day with them park related somewhere and we have a 2 year old, so I am just trying to get an idea, didn't know if anyone had came across this scenario.

Thanks!

At UO, the tots play area plan to be closed.

If there are changes for that, it will be listed on the websites

So from what I have read the rumor is that Disney was blindsided by Universals plan to open June 1st.
They were targeting the end of August one of the reasons was because they were concerned about the heat\mask issues - especially with all the children.

A second issue was the extra $600 a week cast members get on unemployment. Disney cannot compete with that.
I am not that familiar with FL unemployment - but if you work 10 hours a week normally - you get your unemployment based on that + another $600 a week. basically if you get $1 in unemployment you get the $600 extra.
This has been a big problem around the country already - I have seen it first hand.
Part time employees getting 600+ a week to stay home and play XBOX are not all that excited to get back to work - and they make for disgruntled employees.
That program ends at the in late July and Disney was going to bring people back first week of August for training.
I do wonder how Universal will deal with this - no one is happy to get a lot less money to go back to work.

Also back to the mask topic - several of the smaller parks (Lego Funspot etc..) are giving out masks but making them optional.
(Note: those smaller parks are almost 100% outdoors as I understand it)

Will be interesting to see where we are at with masks come July 1st.
Also be interesting to see if they do remove the requirement over summer do they come back in the late fall as temps fall - that would not surprise me if we see even a slight uptick.

So from what I have read the rumor is that Disney was blindsided by Universals plan to open June 1st.
They were targeting the end of August one of the reasons was because they were concerned about the heat\mask issues - especially with all the children.

That whole article was one long anti-Universal rant. It's main purpose was to make Disney look like the uber caring company while making Universal look like the greedy villians who only care about money and not their customers.

A second issue was the extra $600 a week cast members get on unemployment. Disney cannot compete with that.
I am not that familiar with FL unemployment - but if you work 10 hours a week normally - you get your unemployment based on that + another $600 a week. basically if you get $1 in unemployment you get the $600 extra.
This has been a big problem around the country already - I have seen it first hand.
Part time employees getting 600+ a week to stay home and play XBOX are not all that excited to get back to work - and they make for disgruntled employees.
That program ends at the in late July and Disney was going to bring people back first week of August for training.
I do wonder how Universal will deal with this - no one is happy to get a lot less money to go back to work.

If people are called back and they don't go, no more unemployment. Plus many people haven't been able to get on unemployment at all due to Florida's crappy system. Universal avoided that problem by paying people at 80% salary all along instead of cutting them loose to deal with the system.

That whole article was one long anti-Universal rant. It's main purpose was to make Disney look like the uber caring company while making Universal look like the greedy villains who only care about money and not their customers.
I did not read an article but the Disney vs Universal things is far too common for the Fan boys - I hear you on that. One of the reason I tend to only look at the universal broads for the last few years.

If people are called back and they don't go, no more unemployment. Plus many people haven't been able to get on unemployment at all due to Florida's crappy system. Universal avoided that problem by paying people at 80% salary all along instead of cutting them loose to deal with the system.
Did not realize Universal was still doing the 80% thing - so that was probably a good idea on their part - and also a reason to get people back to work.

Yeah - I know if people are called back they have to go - but easier said than done in practice. You also have to take the initiative to call and make it known that they were called back which even in a good system is a problem let alone " Florida's crappy system" - or any overtaxed state run system. I have seen people fired for theft get unemployment and it is next to impossible to stop it without a ton of effort. usually not worth it as you will probably loose in the end (depends on the state I'm sure)

It also does not bring back happy people to say the least. I have heard from multiple people who got loans from the PPP and they thought they were doing the right thing and the employees were pissed because they were getting far less than they would on unemployment. Do year really want them back? Worse yet you have to take them back to get the PPP loan forgiven.

Anyway - Im sort of getting off topic. I completely agree with your sentiment on it.

I did not read an article but the Disney vs Universal things is far too common for the Fan boys - I hear you on that. One of the reason I tend to only look at the universal broads for the last few years.

Did not realize Universal was still doing the 80% thing - so that was probably a good idea on their part - and also a reason to get people back to work.

Yeah - I know if people are called back they have to go - but easier said than done in practice. You also have to take the initiative to call and make it known that they were called back which even in a good system is a problem let alone " Florida's crappy system" - or any overtaxed state run system. I have seen people fired for theft get unemployment and it is next to impossible to stop it without a ton of effort. usually not worth it as you will probably loose in the end (depends on the state I'm sure)

It also does not bring back happy people to say the least. I have heard from multiple people who got loans from the PPP and they thought they were doing the right thing and the employees were pissed because they were getting far less than they would on unemployment. Do year really want them back? Worse yet you have to take them back to get the PPP loan forgiven.

Anyway - Im sort of getting off topic. I completely agree with your sentiment on it.

Yeah the unemployment thing is a mess. But I agree this is veering off topic. For what it's worth, I don't see the mask thing lasting, especially in the summer heat. I just think it's going to be a lot harder to enforce than they think. I think people will go in with the best of intentions as far as following the rules and quickly realize how hard it is to wear a mask for hours in 100 degree heat. I can see them enforcing mask wearing indoors more aggressively than outdoors eventually.

Last edited:
I won't go if they don't require masks in high risk areas for the duration of this health crisis. However, I think it should be voluntary when outside wherever distancing can be achieved. I don't feel like the temp checks will be as important as they want to think. Cover up in enclosed areas and keep your distance outside. Wash or sanitize your hands as much as possible. I also think someone should be at restaurant entrances to remind people to sanitize as they enter.

I won't go if they don't require masks in high risk areas for the duration of this health crisis. However, I think it should be voluntary when outside wherever distancing can be achieved. I don't feel like the temp checks will be as important as they want to think. Cover up in enclosed areas and keep your distance outside. Wash or sanitize your hands as much as possible. I also think someone should be at restaurant entrances to remind people to sanitize as they enter.
Yeah - this is a better approach IMO - may be what we see in Universals next phase. Id be more than willing to go in that situation.
Many people have fooled the temp check thing - Ive said before its more of a feel good thing - so im sure tehy will keep it - but may go to a better system where they can automatically scan everyone as they enter the hub

Just curious.. If Universal requires a face mask to be worn when the parks open will you still go? I don’t think we will. I would rather wait until they no longer mandate them. Of course everyone is entitled to their own choice. I wouldn’t complain if they did require them. I would just choose not to go at this time.

Agreed!

Yeah - this is a better approach IMO - may be what we see in Universals next phase. Id be more than willing to go in that situation.
Many people have fooled the temp check thing - Ive said before its more of a feel good thing - so im sure tehy will keep it - but may go to a better system where they can automatically scan everyone as they enter the hub

Fully agree. I support an automatic temperature scan over handheld too. I also don't think masks should be worn on outdoor rides. I feel like that is too much. People could lose their masks or have mishaps all while being low risk in the open air anyway.

Fully agree. I support an automatic temperature scan over handheld too. I also don't think masks should be worn on outdoor rides. I feel like that is too much. People could lose their masks or have mishaps all while being low risk in the open air anyway.
I have been on 100's of roller coasters and I have never had my glasses fall off. So I doubt a mask will fall off. SeaWorld was seen testing coasters with employees wearing masks for just that purpose

I have been on 100's of roller coasters and I have never had my glasses fall off. So I doubt a mask will fall off. SeaWorld was seen testing coasters with employees wearing masks for just that purpose

Point taken but I wonder how necessary that is if they space people out on rides as planned. My very secure hat fell off on Splash Mountain and landed on the person behind us. I can just imagine the reaction to a mask flying back on someone.

I voted yes. I have a mask that I wear to work but I keep it on only when dealing with customers. I take it with me when I go in public but I've never felt the need to put it on as I really have only gone places where I can keep away from people. At Universal if you're in queue or in tight places like Diagon Alley you really should be wearing one. If you're simply walking through the park and away from other parties I honestly don't see the harm of slipping it off. The mask shouldn't be glued to your face anyway. The purpose is to use them when you can't stay 6+ feet away.

I voted yes. I have a mask that I wear to work but I keep it on only when dealing with customers. I take it with me when I go in public but I've never felt the need to put it on as I really have only gone places where I can keep away from people. At Universal if you're in queue or in tight places like Diagon Alley you really should be wearing one. If you're simply walking through the park and away from other parties I honestly don't see the harm of slipping it off. The mask shouldn't be glued to your face anyway. The purpose is to use them when you can't stay 6+ feet away.

But doesn't that exacerbate the issue of constantly touching your face to put it on, take it off, put it on, take it off......etc, etc, etc. You're probably better off without one and not touching your face 50 times a day rather than doing the old switch-a-roo constantly. Would be nice if there were actually any scientific studies on what works better, the reports I have seen appear to be just contradictory on what is best so we get the policies we see employed, a mixed bag based on the location, business, etc....

The next month or two will be exciting to see how things go, which policies stay and which ones are tossed (either through end of need or deemed not useful).

I would wear one whether it was required or not, and my family would do the same or stay in the hotel room. I can't prove that I don't have it, and I would feel awful if someone got it from me. I figure if it's required, and you don't like it, don't go. And yes, I have worn my outside in Texas summer heat mid-day 95F+. I am also used to wearing full motorcycle gear in rush hour traffic in the summer. I understand things worth doing sometimes require me to be uncomfortable. I have no problem with people who can't/don't want to wear them, as long as they are not trying to circumvent the rules. I would feel uncomfortable if they are not required, and I might consider not going, especially after hearing Craig's Citywalk podcast, where he said a lot of people were not socially distancing. We are not high risk, but I am starting to be concerned about some of the potential long term effects they are seeing, ie strokes, blood clots, asthma, heart problems. I am hoping to live for a while, and I don't want to have a diminished life. I have had immediate experience with a family member with stroke issues. Also, there are many videos online showing how to put on a mask without touching your face. Medical professionals and people working in clean environments, ie microprocessor manufacturing, are easily taught how to do this. Also, they should pretty much be put on and kept on for a length of time.

I'm gonna post my opinion on here vs the Disney one as it seems people are a bit nicer over here (ironically)

First off I'll state I plan on going to universal during the 2 ap days, and I'll wear a mask since it's required, and I will not complain to a employee. I also feel I should state I have been wearing my mask when going into a grocery store.

Now, here's the problem I have with it though. It's all on shaky evidence. First we were told, don't wear masks it's actually worse for you to wear one if not sick because how much we'll touch our face. Now, we're the devil if we don't wear one. There were evidence that 100% without a shadow of a doubt that it'll help, ok fine, I'll fall in line. But there's plenty of different sources out there that contradict each other.

This is also why i think with both uni and Disney that the masks requirement won't last long. All this is just a political gesture. They know the backlash they'd get from the mainstream media if they didn't require it. The moment the think they won't get much backlash, they'll relent on the requirements. It's like the temperature check. I bet they won't find many they'll have to deny entry to. The reason we're told to wear a mask is because we could be asymptomatic right? Well, that goes the same with this, we're not going to be running a fever if we have it and don't show any symptoms. It's all symbolic, it makes them look better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!