Votes: 18 37.5%
  • 30-50

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • more than 50

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • all of them, of course

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Anyone watching on PBS? Have you voted for your favorite yet? Have you read anything new just because it's on the list?

https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/
Yes, I watched the original special when it first aired. Most of the books from this list I read back in high school. I voted for Anne of Green Gables, but where is Little House on the Prairie? I would've voted for that series. I question the Twilight and Hunger Games series, but I'm sure they're trying to appeal to younger readers. I admit I have read those too! When they came out with the list, I decided to check out A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. That was a very interesting book, highly recommend!

I'm very confused about the inclusion of "Mind Invaders" on this list. It has a relatively low score with very few reviews on GoodReads.

How were these books picked?

I was puzzled by a couple of the books included tho my all time favorites were on there. I would have thought James Michener would be on there, at least one of his books. But if I were to pick my all time favorite it would be To Kill a Mockingbird which left such an indelible lifelong mark on me when I first read it.

Last edited:

I've been watching it with DGD andddddddd if I'm not telling her what my fav book on the list is (read some more, sweetness, and thennn we can talk about it;)) I'm not telling youse either:D.
Errr but if she was more observant earlier in her life she would have noted that there were several hardbound copies of Beloved on my book shelves, an anomaly in and of itself.
I'm also a devotee of Maupassant and enjoy reading his short stories during long beach holidays as a change up from the DWEM and DWEW I pick for warm weather reads.

While I've read 50 Shades, I can't believe both it & Twilight made the list!

For my favorite from the list, I'd have a hard time choosing among Charlotte's Web, Little Women, or Wuthering Heights.

My DD would choose The Book Thief, which is her absolute favorite book.

I have read 29.

While I've read 50 Shades, I can't believe both it & Twilight made the list!

For my favorite from the list, I'd have a hard time choosing among Charlotte's Web, Little Women, or Wuthering Heights.

My DD would choose The Book Thief, which is her absolute favorite book.

I was going to post the same about 50 shades and Twight

Also agree on your favourites but will add Anne of Green Gables to mine.

From that list, I'd say the Grapes of Wrath, because I love Steinbeck.

The list makes me sad because books like the 50 Shades series are among America's favorites, and there are so many books to read that are much better. (I admit that I haven't actually read the 50 shades books, and I have no interest)

Anyone watching on PBS? Have you voted for your favorite yet? Have you read anything new just because it's on the list?

https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/

I think my husband was watching the "Heroes" episode the other night. I think I'll check it out. I read from the link you provided how they came up the list but I too am a little suspect...There are definitely some titles on there that I would like to read, and of course some that I have read and never want to read again!

P.S. There were a couple that I tried to read at some point in my life but couldn't quite get through, lol - I did not count them but wonder if I should give them another shot?

From that list, I'd say the Grapes of Wrath, because I love Steinbeck.

The list makes me sad because books like the 50 Shades series are among America's favorites, and there are so many books to read that are much better. (I admit that I haven't actually read the 50 shades books, and I have no interest)
I finally finished that book this year after starting and stopping it several times since I was younger. I don't usually read fiction anymore, and I think the reason I finished it this time is I connected with/was ready for the story in a new way being an adult in our current times. So much about it rang so true- the lack of high paying work, the pipedream Californian homestead, even being priced out of your own hometown. It really is a stupendous book. Maybe it resonated with my depression, but I just kept nodding my head!

I finally finished that book this year after starting and stopping it several times since I was younger. I don't usually read fiction anymore, and I think the reason I finished it this time is I connected with/was ready for the story in a new way being an adult in our current times. So much about it rang so true- the lack of high paying work, the pipedream Californian homestead, even being priced out of your own hometown. It really is a stupendous book. Maybe it resonated with my depression, but I just kept nodding my head!

I have no clue why, but I fall in love with books set during the great depression, whether fiction or non-fiction. My favorite non-fiction about that era is The Worst Hard Time. I have read it over and over. There is something endearing about people falling on hard times and learning how to thrive despite the circumstances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter