Votes: 18 37.5%
  • 30-50

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • more than 50

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • all of them, of course

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I question the Twilight and Hunger Games series, but I'm sure they're trying to appeal to younger readers.

While I've read 50 Shades, I can't believe both it & Twilight made the list!

I question the validity of the list, myself. It was internet-survey based. So...

According to the about page-"It investigates how and why writers create their fictional worlds, how we as readers are affected by these stories, and what these 100 different books have to say about our diverse nation and our shared human experience."

When you think about it in that context how could you not include Twilight and Hunger Games both of which spawned so many YA novels with Hunger Games bringing in the dystopian genre to the forefront that were published and movie adaptations and people couldn't get enough of it (and younger readers are def. not all what encompasses both book series)?

How could you not include 50 Shades which spawned an entire genre of books that was not really there before?

It's clear as day to see why Harry Potter made it too.

I haven't gone through each and every books but I can def. understand why some were chosen despite people not liking the what the book was about or didn't think the book was well written.

According to the about page-"It investigates how and why writers create their fictional worlds, how we as readers are affected by these stories, and what these 100 different books have to say about our diverse nation and our shared human experience."

When you think about it in that context how could you not include Twilight and Hunger Games both of which spawned so many YA novels with Hunger Games bringing in the dystopian genre to the forefront that were published and movie adaptations and people couldn't get enough of it (and younger readers are def. not all what encompasses both book series)?

How could you not include 50 Shades which spawned an entire genre of books that was not really there before?

It's clear as day to see why Harry Potter made it too.

I haven't gone through each and every books but I can def. understand why some were chosen despite people not liking the what the book was about or didn't think the book was well written.

I understand what you're saying, & I agree different books affect us differently & change & shape society in different ways.

However, regarding 50 Shades, it was originally written as a Twilight fanfiction.

Stephanie Meyer had a dream & then wrote Twilight.

E L James read Twilight & then wrote a version of 50 Shades as fanfiction inspired by Twilight. The fanfiction gained some traction & "buzz," & 50 Shades was born.

However, prior to 50 Shades, the romantic & erotic genres were there - 50 Shades was nothing unique & didn't begin a new genre & really didn't inspire the world of fiction like Hunger Games & Harry Potter.

Before E L James released 50 Shades, there were tons of other books written in the same genre & many of those were written better. 50 Shades may have introduced some people to the romantic & erotic genres who prior to the book had not read anything like it & got a lot of people talking about the genre & the book, but, in the grander scheme of things, the book isn't ground-breaking or a piece of notable fiction like many of the other books on the list.

I guess what is notable about it is how it gained momentum in the mainstream & was popular & buzz-worthy for a while.

And, no, I'm not some book snob. My Kindle is filled w/ romance novels, & I've read the 50 Shades trilogy & seen the movies. LOL! It's just that people who are familiar w/ the romance genre know that there are better books out there, & 50 Shades wasn't the first or the best.

I understand what you're saying, & I agree different books affect us differently & change & shape society in different ways.

However, regarding 50 Shades, it was originally written as a Twilight fanfiction.

Stephanie Meyer had a dream & then wrote Twilight.

E L James read Twilight & then wrote a version of 50 Shades as fanfiction inspired by Twilight. The fanfiction gained some traction & "buzz," & 50 Shades was born.

However, prior to 50 Shades, the romantic & erotic genres were there - 50 Shades was nothing unique & didn't begin a new genre & really didn't inspire the world of fiction like Hunger Games & Harry Potter.

Before E L James released 50 Shades, there were tons of other books written in the same genre & many of those were written better. 50 Shades may have introduced some people to the romantic & erotic genres who prior to the book had not read anything like it & got a lot of people talking about the genre & the book, but, in the grander scheme of things, the book isn't ground-breaking or a piece of notable fiction like many of the other books on the list.

I guess what is notable about it is how it gained momentum in the mainstream & was popular & buzz-worthy for a while.

And, no, I'm not some book snob. My Kindle is filled w/ romance novels, & I've read the 50 Shades trilogy & seen the movies. LOL! It's just that people who are familiar w/ the romance genre know that there are better books out there, & 50 Shades wasn't the first or the best.
I wouldn't say you're a book snob lol :)

Of course there was erotica before 50 shades...but boy oh boy did it explode onto the market afterwards. So many people were reading that genre that wouldn't have been before; it wasn't well-known to the masses perse or likely as acceptable if you know what I mean lol it introduced much more than just some. For a while you couldn't walk anywhere without someone reading it at work, someone reading on an airplane, someone reading it in book clubs, etc. And yes I know it was fanfiction.

I mostly read romance genre so you're talking to someone who is well aware. I wasn't talking about quality of 50 shades nor Twilight but quality is not what the survey was about. It wasn't saying "What are the best quality books out there" it was saying what influenced/affected people.

The first book of Twilight on Goodreads has 4,284,561 ratings. The first book of Fifty Shades on Goodreads has 1,604,281 ratings. None of my most fav books even come close to that number. In fact it's a tiny fraction of the number of people who have rated them and I think they are written far better. None of my most fav books have FB pages devoted to books like them like "What to read after 50 shades" for example. I guess I find the hidden gems lol.

In any case whether I think 50shades is written terribly and others are far superior to it or whether I think Twilight is cringe-worthy, etc doesn't negate the societal influence as a whole they both have had thus a good reason for them being on a list over others in the genre. There may be a better written book out there but it may not carry much weight in terms of large scale societal levels.

I've read 34. Some of my very favorites are not on this list, but I wouldn't expect them to be.

It's tough to pick just one book of a series like HP or LOTR or A Song of Ice and Fire.

I've actually started some others on the list, but never finished them. It happens!

50 Shades and James Patterson (who is a fun summer read!) make me shake my head at this list, but I got on Kindle "The coldest winter" and quite enjoyed it:)

Sadly, my favorite book, and one I re-read a couple of times a year was neglected.

I have read 18 (more if you count that I have read complete series of some listed) Most of them being British or Canadian authors whose works appear on the list. There are some on there that don't really qualify as "must reads" or great read. Even some that I have read.
From that list, I'd say the Grapes of Wrath, because I love Steinbeck.

The list makes me sad because books like the 50 Shades series are among America's favorites, and there are so many books to read that are much better. (I admit that I haven't actually read the 50 shades books, and I have no interest)
That was one of the ones I went ??? when I saw it on the list. I have not read it either, have no desire too. I have read the twilight series, but I wouldn't rank them as "great reads".

Well, the finale was last night.

To Kill a Mockingbird.

I really do like that one, but I was kind of surprised

Harry Potter

didn't win.

I hadn't watched before and thought it was more the best, didn't realize it was readers favorite.
Books made a lot more sense now.
Ready Player One is a good example. I would no way say it is one of teh best books I read, still it makes my top 20 books I enjoyed.
About half of my top 20 were on list so they did a pretty good job IMO.

I have read 53 of the books. Sounds like it might have been an interesting show.
DeveraS of my chilfhchi favourites made the list. If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with the Anne books. I see a couple of titles on there I have not read and would liek to try (and several that I have not read, but either started and dislkiked, or have read other by the samw writer and am not interested, etc)

I find it disheartneing that the books chosen represent such a lack of ethnic/racial diversity. My ininital scan, not looking up authors that I am unfamiliar with leads me to beleive that about 85-90% of the books have white authors. I expect a bit more awreness from PBS (yes, I now there was some internet survey to start with, but the had experts then chose, and other parameters, maybe trying to have a more diverse field could have been among them).

Last edited:
My favorite on the list is also The Grapes of Wrath, but I do love re-reading Little Women, especially around Christmas.

I've wanted to read A Prayer for Owen Meany forever. Maybe before the end of the year...

Personally I can't believe 50 Shades is up there with the greatest novels of all times. I tried reading it to see what the hype was and the writing was so poor, never finished it. I mean yes junk food is fun once in awhile and that's how I would term 50 Shades of Gray. SMH.

Last edited:
I love the winner. While I consider one good reading the other is actual literature.

Oh, I love it too - I'm not disappointed that it won!...just surprised that the huge fan-base of the other book (which I also love!) didn't dominate the voting.

For those wondering about the content in general, though, it was all fan votes, not "expert" picks. There are definitely some books I didn't like (or don't even want to read) but I loved hearing the endorsements of the various books by so many different people!

I have read 53 of the books.

You have me beat by a few, but I have added some new ones to my "to read" list because of the show!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter