• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The 'I Can Stay ANYWHERE I want?' AKL, Here We Come! Trip Report April 23 – 30, 2015 Updated 06/01/1

rangerxenos

DIS Veteran
Have decided to take the plunge and do my first trip report after about a dozen trips to Disney World since the mid 1970s, (which is when I took my first trip) back when there was only the Magic Kingdom. I'm a photographer, so you'll see lots of photos during this trip report!

1502278_10152036339417557_1830910817_o.jpg

Our cast for this trip, myself, the Disney obsessed half of this trip, and my DH, the one who tolerates his wife’s Disney obsession. He’s the one who listened to my pleas back in February after we had gotten buried under another snowstorm, to get me the hell out of New England and someplace warm. I offered Disney up as a suggestion, since it’s an easy 3 hour nonstop plane ride for us from Connecticut; as he’s not fond of flying, I think he agreed figuring it was the lesser of the evils he had to choose from.

What we looked like most of the Winter:
10302329_10153010256232557_586706149438522828_n.jpg

Since he loves his wife, he told me I could stay anywhere I wanted for this trip. Since he knows that I’m frugal/cheap/<insert your favorite term here>, I’m thinking he figured that I wouldn’t go insane and book the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian, and he was correct! (We’ve been married over 20 years, he knows me too well, LOL!) I’m a relatively new convert to staying on property; despite taking a lot of trips to the Happiest Place On Earth, for most of them we stayed off property. Disney dragged me over to the Dark Side back in 2012, when I traveled with friends and stayed at Pop Century. I haven’t stayed off property since, it’s just too damned convenient!

But I digress. (You’ll notice that I do that a lot.) I first checked out Coronado Springs Resort, as we loved it when we stayed there for my 50th birthday trip in 2013. Unfortunately they were booked for the dates we wanted, so my search continued. Since I have always wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, having visited there a few times over the past couple of years for dinner, I decided to check out the prices with the room discount Disney was offering. After having an internal conversation with myself for a few days, and going back and forth, I talked my frugal self into booking a standard room at AKL for our trip. It being a last minute trip, I had exactly one, count ‘em, one day from booking the trip to having to pay for it in full, a first for me!

Two months and a lot more snow later, we were packed and ready to go. Since DH agreed to go on this trip even though he’s not a huge Disney fan, I tried to make some concessions and not run ourselves ragged. I’m an early riser, rope drop type, he is DEFINITELY not. For all my past trips, we’ve taken the 6 am flight out of Bradley, which means getting up at 3 a.m. so that we can make it to the airport in time. We did the 10 a.m. flight this time, which actually made for a much more relaxed flight out – we could get up at 5:30 instead of 3, and there were no lines at the airport, which was great!

But I digress. It was a balmy 37 degrees when we left the house on Thursday morning. (See why I really needed to get someplace warm?!) When we landed in Orlando, it was hot. When I say hot, I mean REALLY HOT. The ongoing theme for our trip was, ‘But it’s not supposed to be this hot in April down here.’ Everyone down there kept telling us that. It’s probably the hottest it’s been when I’ve been down there, low 90s and very humid for most of our trip.

11159538_10153187718477557_4227319512405401041_n.jpg

We arrived in Orlando, picked up our luggage and rental car, and off we went to Animal Kingdom Lodge, arriving about half an hour before official check in time. It poured for most of our trip to the resort, but we lucked out and it stopped by the time we arrived, so we didn’t have to unload our luggage in the rain.

I had done the Online Check-in a few weeks before we left, and one of my choices had been Kudu Trail when I went online. In looking at the map, it looked like that was a Savannah view area, so I checked it, hoping for some Pixie Dust since we had booked a Standard room. I was so delighted when we got to our room to find that we had an absolutely perfect view of the Arusha Savannah! We had a pretty long walk to our room, but I didn’t care, I got to wake up each morning and watch giraffes, zebras, wildebeest, ostriches, and other wonderful creatures right outside my room. It was AMAZING! It seems to me that there are only two entrances and exits to Jambo and Kidani, which makes sense because of the Savannahs on the inside, hence the long walk. It really was only an issue when we got back from the parks really tired of walking.

The view outside our room:
11136215_10153187721402557_4332740771875030256_o.jpg

The lobby of AKL
11204428_10153202264812557_5715827730071423213_n.jpg

I fell in love with AKL this trip, it has spoiled me for future stays. The whole place is beautiful. The pool and hot tubs were wonderful, we never had to wait more than ten minutes for a bus, and we were only a ten minute drive from lots of restaurants and stores. That was what initially had me worried about staying here, everyone always says how far it is from everything; because we did not have the dining plan, we ate a lot of our meals outside of the resort and parks.

I never tired of going out on the balcony to see what was wandering past the room; at one point there was a small parade walking down the paths, it was like the Lion King in real life!

11165170_10153187720507557_5878824088669362922_n.jpg

Trip report continues here:

Day 2 Disney Hollywood Studios The 'I Can Stay ANYWHERE I want?' AKL, Here We Come! Trip Report April 23 – 30, 2015

Last edited:
Joining in! We've stayed at the AKL and loved it as well - however, when we went for Christmas the bus situation was definitely a downer with LONG waits and long drives to the other parks. Glad it worked out well for you and look forward to reading your TR!

Last edited:

Joining in. :wave2: We went around the same time. We'd planned the trip long before the winter got bad but we were really looking forward to the warm weather by the time April rolled around. It looks like you had a great room despite the long walks. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the trip and seeing your photos.

I'm not a photographer or anything so there's probably a way better way to do this but I attach my photos by uploading them from my computer rather than the extra step up uploading them to photobucket. I change the size by making a copy resizing in Paint before uploading. I shrink my photos down to 10% and I kinda like how they look on my TR page. It's probably not the most efficient way but it works for me

We had a couple of down days planned for our trip, the first being our arrival day, so we spent the rest of the day acclimating ourselves to the area, and stocking up on bottled water and snacks at Target, and eating an early dinner at Red Lobster. I’m not a big drinker, but I love frozen drinks, so I started my trip with a big old Frozen Mudslide!

10489648_10153187720052557_8304117561840414485_n.jpg

I usually use EasyWDW for crowd calendars, and I had set up our park schedule as follows. We had one wildcard day, as part of our package included an extra park day. I’ve never had park hopper passes in all the years I’ve been going to Disney, we generally find that we can only manage one park a day, otherwise it’s too tiring.

Friday at Disney Hollywood Studios
Saturday at EPCOT
Sunday down to Daytona Beach to visit a friend
Monday at Animal Kingdom
Tuesday for Downtown Disney
Wednesday at Magic Kingdom

Friday we got up as early as I could drag DH out of bed J; we ate breakfast outside the park, then headed to Disney Hollywood Studios. It was pretty crowded, which surprised me, and VERY hot. It's my first time visiting since they took down the giant Mickey Sorcerer's Hat, and I must say I miss it!

My first Fast Pass was for Twilight Tower of Terror, but we had a little time so I tried to go on Rock N Roll Rollercoaster in the single rider line, as DH does not do rollercoasters anymore. Got right up near the front, and it broke down, so no RnR Rollercoaster this trip. They gave me a Fast Pass to use on anything later in the day or week, but we never made it back when it was running. I went over to Tower of Terror and rode that with my Fast Pass. DH waited for me, as he doesn’t do most of the thrill rides anymore. We waited in line half an hour for ice cream sundae for DH, and took a break from the heat. Stopped over at Starring Rolls for a Butterfinger cupcake for me, as I have a weakness for Disney cupcakes.

Then it was off to Star Tours for our second Fast Pass of the day. I’m a huge Star Wars and SciFi geek, so Star Tours is a must for me. Next stop was the Animation Courtyard, as I love the half hour drawing class they do at The Magic of Disney Animation. And it’s free! (Did I mention I’m frugal/cheap? J ) There was a pretty good size line, but they said that we might just get in, and I’m happy to say that they were right! We got to draw Jiminy Cricket this time, here’s what my drawing looked like, I think it came out pretty good! Then it was downstairs for a photo op with Baymax and Hiro from ‘Big Hero 6’. It was one of the few photos I wanted to get this trip, and I was happy that they were still doing the meet and greet, so although the line was pretty long, I decided to wait. Well, it had to be one of the slowest moving character lines EVER. After 45 minutes, I was only half way through the line, and they were saying at least another half hour after a break. I finally gave up, and was kind of aggravated that I wasted almost an hour waiting in line.

11150178_10153187740257557_9199108858846765480_n.jpg

As an aside, I was so disappointed to find no ‘Big Hero 6’ merchandise anywhere during this trip, and I mean NOTHING. I asked everywhere – the parks, Downtown Disney, etc., and the answer I got every time was ‘Sorry, please try our online store.’ ***? Judging by the line for the meet and greet, it’s still hugely popular, so I don’t understand it. I think Disney really missed the boat with merchandising with ‘Big Hero 6’.

11102662_10153187748107557_1857091758617968770_n.jpg

Then it was off to one of my favorite Disney rides of all, Toy Story Midway Mania. DH, not being a Disney freak like his wife, got to the ride and noticed the 90 plus minute wait listed outside. Had to explain to him that this was our last Fast Pass, and we didn’t have to wait at all thanks to the new system. I for one love the new Fast Pass Plus system, as in so many years past, I would just have to wait in line as so many of the paper fast passes would be gone by the time we got to the parks for the most popular rides. Yes, it does take more planning, but I think it’s great that you don’t have to get to the park at rope drop if you want to ride popular attractions.

I was delighted that Cinderella's coach from the live action movie was still on display at DHS, what a gorgeous prop it was. We didn't have time to wait in line for an official photo op, but I did take a couple of photos.

11150631_10153187758312557_8063042375573688371_n.jpg

We had an early dinner reservation at Sci Fi Dine In Theater as I knew DH would love it, he also being a SciFi geek like me, so we headed over to put our name in and wait for our car. We had about a 15 minute wait as we were a little early, and a couple of the workers were playing Disney trivia to entertain us while we waited. As DH isn’t a bit Disney buff, he was pretty lost for the trivia, so he started answering most questions with the answer of Steve, which had everyone laughing. Finally one of the workers threw him for a loop and asked him a question where the answer actually WAS Steve, and there was much applause, with the reward of a Mickey Mouse sticker. This is one of so many reasons I love Disney, they always work to keep you entertained, even while waiting in line.

11150660_10153187757617557_9097778029679298920_n.jpg

We finally were brought over to our car by our waitress. As I suspected, DH did indeed get a kick out of sitting in a ‘car’ to eat dinner at a drive in while clips from cheesy SciFi movies played on a big screen. I do hope that they eventually rotate the clips, though, I’m pretty sure that they were the same ones I saw last November. I had always read mixed to poor reviews of the food at SciFi in the past, but finally had the opportunity to eat there last year for the first time, and the food both times was very good. They make the best milkshakes – this time I had a S’mores milkshake, and it did not disappoint! I had a burger with sweet potato fries, and DH ordered something called a Picnic burger, which he decided he had to try because it sounded so odd – it’s a burger, topped with a hot dog and sauerkraut! He said it was delicious.

I had been planning on staying for Fantasmic when we left the hotel in the morning, but it was so hot and crowded that we decided to just call it a day and head back to AKL to relax. I figured it would be a good night to check out the pool and hot tub. Like most of AKL, it was gorgeous. They have two hot tubs that are tucked away in quiet corners around the pool. I spent some time in one, it was surrounded by lush greenery and flowers. Petals were falling into the hot tub as I was soaking, I’ll tell you, Life was very Good that night! I then took a walk around the pool, which is huge and is a zero entry pool so you just walk right in. Sorry, no photos as I did not want to leave my camera unattended by the pool.

I visited the flamingos, who are in an area on the other side of the pool; I had plans to go back over during the day to get a better look and some photos, but never did get back! I took a ride on one of the waterslides at the pool and did a little swimming. Then I stopped over to the night vision viewing area at AKL. They have night vision goggles you can borrow to observe the animals on one of the savannahs. I didn’t see much, but I did have a very nice conversation with two of the AKL employees who were lending out the goggles, they were both from Africa and visiting for the year working at Disney.

Then it was time to head back to my room for the night, we head to EPCOT on Saturday!

Last edited:
AKL is so beautiful! We always stay at Wilderness Lodge, so AKL is very appealing to me!

I"m glad you enjoyed SciFi! My oldest son LOVED the picnic burger (my favorite thing is the salmon blt!).

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures :-)

Love your room view. We'll be staying at AKL next february for the first time and your pictures are getting me excited!

I completely agree with you about Big Hero 6. It's my son's absolute favorite Disney movie (along with all his friends), and there is such limited merchandise available! Everyone I know loves this movie!

Enjoying your trip report so far!

I'm enjoying your trip report so far. It's getting me very excited for my trip. We're staying at AKL in a Standard room in September, so I'm curious about what you selected at check in that got you such an awesome room.

Joining in! Great pictures! How long were the bus rides to and from the parks!
-Lindsey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter