The Intersection of FIRE and Disney

My ultimate goal is to FIRE. I am the main provider in the family and early in 2019 my job was eliminated. Luckily I found a different job within the company before my 60 days were up but it really scared us and realized we need to get our finances in order as we had no savings. I am 42 and my husband is 46. My husband works part time only due to some mental health challenges. My reason for paying off debt is so that I don't need to make the income I make now. I work a high stress job and I would like to quit this job by the time I am 50 and work a job I enjoy even if it means making a lot less. We only owe $9k on my car, should be able to pay off by end of April and owe $57k on our home. That is only debt we have. We only have $1k in savings and I have $80k in my Roth 401k. We have a budget with no unnecessary spending, we don't even have cable or streaming services. Any advice or guidance is appreciated.

I'd start by bringing up your $1k in savings to at least $10k. You want to have the emergency funds available if something bad happens. You don't want to take out 401k loans or personal loans if you can avoid it. Also, insurance deductibles reset tomorrow, so if you have a big medical expenditure, you won't have enough to cover the deductible. That's where I would start. I'd continue to contribute to the 401k to get at least matching at your company if it's available.

Last edited:
My ultimate goal is to FIRE. I am the main provider in the family and early in 2019 my job was eliminated. Luckily I found a different job within the company before my 60 days were up but it really scared us and realized we need to get our finances in order as we had no savings. I am 42 and my husband is 46. My husband works part time only due to some mental health challenges. My reason for paying off debt is so that I don't need to make the income I make now. I work a high stress job and I would like to quit this job by the time I am 50 and work a job I enjoy even if it means making a lot less. We only owe $9k on my car, should be able to pay off by end of April and owe $57k on our home. That is only debt we have. We only have $1k in savings and I have $80k in my Roth 401k. We have a budget with no unnecessary spending, we don't even have cable or streaming services. Any advice or guidance is appreciated.
I would go along the lines of @RamblingMad and then add some additional steps:

1) Build up an acceptable emergency fund. Your worst case scenario would be taking on credit card debt to handle something unforeseen because you chose to payoff other debt. IF you have a HELOC then you could potentially skip this step as that would serve as a low interest way to finance an "emergency".

2) Ensure you are earning your full 401k company match

3) IF you have access to an HSA evaluate if you should max this next

4) Contribute the maximum to an IRA (evaluate Roth vs. Traditional based on your situation and which is best)

5) Contribute the maximum to 401k (Roth vs. Traditional debate if both are available to you)

*****Now that you have maxed out all tax-advantaged options...you could consider paying off low interest debts*****
You also would be in the dilemma we were discussing earlier on whether paying down debt or liquid investments is the better play for you guys.

I'd be interested in your thoughts or questions on that plan :)

Happy New Year! Yesterday I decided to get the Mint budgeting app. We had been budgeting before but not tracking every dollar automatically.

Anyway after looking at some of our vacation spending, DH and I got into the discussion of vacations, and he thinks we spend too much on vacations. We do go on 2-3 vacations a year. Most of those are Disney vacations. Otherwise our trips are usually visiting family. I would like to save more in 2020 but also don't want to stop taking vacations. Possible solutions are use a lot of various credit card points and miles, take less vacations, or be more frugal while on vacation. What strategies do you all use?

Happy New Year! Yesterday I decided to get the Mint budgeting app. We had been budgeting before but not tracking every dollar automatically.

Anyway after looking at some of our vacation spending, DH and I got into the discussion of vacations, and he thinks we spend too much on vacations. We do go on 2-3 vacations a year. Most of those are Disney vacations. Otherwise our trips are usually visiting family. I would like to save more in 2020 but also don't want to stop taking vacations. Possible solutions are use a lot of various credit card points and miles, take less vacations, or be more frugal while on vacation. What strategies do you all use?
You might want to stop by our sister thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...v3-0-see-first-page-for-addl-details.3784063/

We put down 10+ pages of comments a day on this topic! :D Credit Card churning can be EXTREMELY lucrative!

You might want to stop by our sister thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...v3-0-see-first-page-for-addl-details.3784063/

We put down 10+ pages of comments a day on this topic! :D Credit Card churning can be EXTREMELY lucrative!
Thanks :) We do churn credit cards, although we can't at the moment because of the Chase 5/24 rule. We have been doing it since 2014 but it's not as lucrative as it was then due to credit cards cracking down a bit. So even with doing that, our Disney vacations always end up costing several thousand each.

FireflyTrance, I think you'll find that most here use a combination of the strategies you've mentioned. I don't know where you live, nor the cost or length of your vacations, nor the manner in which you vacation (budget hotels? offsite? Grand Floridian?) - all of those factors impact the final $$. Would you stay offsite? Would you spend fewer days in the parks and more time at the pool? Would you take one less trip but spend an extra day or two on the trip(s) you do take? The passes are cheaper for more days....
Also, obviously there are many WONDERFUL places to vacation that are less expensive than Disney. Maybe branch out and spend some long weekends exploring nearer to your home? Go to the beach, a state park, a new city. Hike, check out children's museums (cool even if you don't have kids!), attend seasonal festivals. There's so much out there waiting to be discovered and much of it is less costly than Disney :)

Anybody care to share 2019 results? This might be a fun topic to interject some energy in the thread.

I just finished up some spreadsheets last night and it looks our 2019 overview was about 29% savings rate.

We had a complex year and several expenses that were out of the norm. We purchased a fixer-upper in early March, so we had two homes until we sold and moved in late July. We also had purchased a piece of property in 2018 that we had a small mortgage on that we paid off when we sold our house.

Between the renovations and property payoff, we had an expense of about $28,000 (after subtracting all the expenses from the profit we made from the sale of our previous home). We also traveled to Africa, which we don't plan to do this year so we will spend less on travel. So, if we had not spent on those two items in 2019, our savings rate would have been 52%

Unless something very unexpected happens, I think we should be able to save well over 50% this year. I will be making more money (I didn't start working until mid-Feb in 2019) and our expenses will be less since we moved to a house that's less than half the size of our previous home.

Now that we have put ourselves in a position to save more, we just need to figure out the smartest way to allocate that savings.

Thanks :) We do churn credit cards, although we can't at the moment because of the Chase 5/24 rule. We have been doing it since 2014 but it's not as lucrative as it was then due to credit cards cracking down a bit. So even with doing that, our Disney vacations always end up costing several thousand each.
You still might consider jumping in on our thread. It is literally the best thread/best community on the entire DISboards :)

Agreed. MMM's complete inability to admit that he got his start down this path because he timed the real estate market quite perfectly, which one cannot just replicate, is what turns me off to him. Regardless, interesting thread here!
Yeah, I used to read that blog, but I quit because MMM and his readers don't seem like particularly nice people. Too much profanity, too much "my way or the highway", too much general meanness on that site. They don't seem to be people I'd like in real life.

As for MMM's success, I agree with you. To use a cliche, he was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a home run. He's able-bodied and smart in a way that leads to high-paying jobs -- and that was luck; however, you can't discount that he's made the most of his natural-born opportunities. I suspect that if one or more of his "perks" had been removed, he'd still have retired early -- but he wouldn't have done it by 30 (by 30? is that right?), and his story wouldn't be nearly so impressive if he'd retired at 50 or so.
How did you first hear of FIRE? Were you pursuing it before you heard of it (and just didn't realize it) OR did you read about it and say "I want to do that" and decide to make some changes?
I was born into a poor rural family, where we never had "enough". As a teenager, I realized that life didn't have to be that way, so I started reading everything I could about frugality, pensions, couponing, investing, real estate, etc. -- all things financial. I didn't have any money, but I wanted to learn so that I could manage my money better than my parents had. At that point my goal was to manage my money in such a way that I could have some nice things in my life -- I had a "scrimp to splurge" mentality. That is, I wanted to scrimp where I could (groceries, for example) so I could afford the things I wanted more: a house, vacations, and -- above all -- a security. I developed a solid dislike of debt and an understanding of why it was important to start saving early.

Very important detail: I married a man who thought the same way I did. While we always agreed upon saving aggressively, we never really considered a retirement date. I guess I assumed 65 was for everyone.

We were probably in our 30s when it occurred to us that our efforts were reaping success beyond our expectations. We already had our children's college money saved, our house was on its way to paid-off, and our retirement accounts were (for our age) looking good. We had never heard the term FIRE, but it hit us: We don't need to do this 'til we're 65.
I am 51 and DH is 52.
I'm going to say something really negative -- but also very true. We're about your age, and I know more than a few people who've been laid off /have been unable to find jobs with a similar salary. It's tough to lose your job in your 50s.

The take-away for every who's still young: Make your plans, but don't assume you CAN work until your target date. None of us really know how many more years we CAN work, which makes it even more important to save while you're young.
I'm following along. Due to age, college costs, high cost of living area etc. not doing FIRE, but definitely trying to save more while still realizing that life is short and we need to enjoy some things before we are too old to enjoy them. It's definitely a balance around here.
Yes, we're not as frugal as some people are. We put our children through college, and we've paid for lots of experiences while they were young -- and we don't regret it. "Balance" is a word I like very much in terms of finances.

However, I disagree with the "do it before you're too old to enjoy it" idea. I'm just past 50 and am still as physically able as I ever was. My mom is in her 70s and can still hike all day. I'm not concerned about being unable to do things any time soon.
We were told 4 million should be our target, too. I'm 39 now. DH is 40. That number was to move to and retire on Hawaii tho - and I just don't know if that is realistic or not. We are also considering Palm Springs and that would bring the number down to around 3 million I'd guess, give or take.
Our goals are much lower than yours, but we live in a low-cost of living area, and I'll have a pension. The real take-away here: Everyone should do his or her own calculations and figure his or her own goals. We can't say, "Oh, this should be everyone's goal."
My saying to people is "You can have practically ANYTHING you want. You can't have EVERYTHING you want". Unfortunately many of the people I encounter actually have NOTHING that they want because they waste all their money buying things somebody else has that isn't even important to them :confused3
Yes, this just what I meant upthread when I said that younger-me saw money management as a "scrimp to save" thing.
The further down the path to FIRE I get, the less likely I am to comply with something I don't want to do. Busy-Work, needless meetings, paperwork for nothing...no thanks. Don't like it...hmmm fire me (they won't). Of course I wouldn't actually refuse to do something that is necessary and has value in my job.
Yup, you're not alone.
Still, I won't be easy to replace when I retire (quite soon, actually).
What would you say is more important: focusing on mortgage or maximizing ROTH IRAs?
I wouldn't sacrifice either goal for the other. Balance. Spread your assets out: Pay down your mortgage, but also max out your 401Ks (after verifying that your company's fees won't eat up your earnings), and invest in a variety of ways. As for ROTH IRAs, I don't know enough about them to speak intelligently, but I do know that my personal IRA is my worst-producing investment.

Speaking only for myself and my husband, we're close to retirement (so our prime investing days /our days when compound interest was our friend are behind us. We have put together these assets:
- A paid-for house in a prime area; we plan to downsize, but our current house should pay for a new, smaller, cheaper-to-keep house that's better-suited for aging-in-place.
- Personal savings in a variety of investment locations.
- Rental income.
- My pension, which includes health care.
- Social Security, though that's more than a decade away for us.
- We have several plans for reducing our living costs; for example, we will become a one-car family.

Looking back, I'm very glad that didn't put all our eggs in one basket. We have experienced some luck in our careers and finances, but -- like everyone -- we've had a few set-backs here and there. As we approach (early!) retirement, I am glad that IF one of the above assets were to totally fail, we might need to tighten our belts, but we wouldn't be lost.

However, I disagree with the "do it before you're too old to enjoy it" idea. I'm just past 50 and am still as physically able as I ever was. My mom is in her 70s and can still hike all day. I'm not concerned about being unable to do things any time soon.

Our expectations and outlook are formed by what we see around them. You're clearly blessed in having a parent who is in great health. I have one parent who passed before he could enjoy much of the early retirement he had worked so hard to achieve and another who was left without financial issues but who has been unable to travel due to health reasons for the past decade. So that's what shapes my personal view on all of this, and of course I would expect others to have a different mindset. Having the money to travel around the world doesn't help when you reach a point where you just don't think you can do it anymore, and I have a number of older relatives who are in that position. So I am trying to find what I see as a more balanced approach to it all. I certainly don't want to end up in a "we spent it all on great trips when we were younger and now we can't afford anything" place either.

I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread. It’s always encouraging to learn from people with similar goals and interests.

DH and I aren’t looking to FIRE, exactly, but we’ve always strived to live in such a way that we are pursing FI while balancing with enjoying life at the moment. DH’s best friend died at age 41. That experience showed us how important it was to cultivate experiences while we have the time.

We spend on what is important to us, and save on things that aren’t. Good health, DH’s good job with advancement, and some good decisions (and luck/blessings) have got us to a relatively stable point. We married young and thankfully are on the same page with financial beliefs/goals.

We live in a pretty low COL area. We are debt-free except for three years left on our mortgage. The good market this year helped us reach the 7-figure net worth checkpoint. The people in our life might be surprised by that. They know we love to travel and have a soft spot for Disney, but our furniture is all at least 10 years old, we drive old cars, and our landscaping is what we call “natural”. 😉

We have four kids, ranging from toddler to college age. So we’ll be doing this parenting thing, God willing, for a lot longer.

Thanks for creating this community to encourage each other to keep the goal in focus and resist the temptations of lifestyle creep.

Our expectations and outlook are formed by what we see around them. You're clearly blessed in having a parent who is in great health. I have one parent who passed before he could enjoy much of the early retirement he had worked so hard to achieve and another who was left without financial issues but who has been unable to travel due to health reasons for the past decade. So that's what shapes my personal view on all of this, and of course I would expect others to have a different mindset. Having the money to travel around the world doesn't help when you reach a point where you just don't think you can do it anymore, and I have a number of older relatives who are in that position. So I am trying to find what I see as a more balanced approach to it all. I certainly don't want to end up in a "we spent it all on great trips when we were younger and now we can't afford anything" place either.

This is definitely true. We are very frugal and work hard (OT, etc) to save as much as possible, but we have also made the decision to take at least one family vacation per year for the last 10+ years (We are 38/39). We have chosen not to wait to do all our traveling until retirement for two reasons:

1. There's only so much time you're guaranteed with your kids. Our oldest is in her early 20s and works full-time. It's simply not possible for her to travel with us as a family whenever/wherever we want like she could when she was a kid. The other two are not far behind so in just 2-5 years we will not have any kids left at home.

2. Unpredictable health. We are healthy and active and don't plan on slowing down, but we've seen with family that may change. We have health issues on both sides of the family in both our grandparents and parents that resulted in the inability to travel by their mid-50s (stroke, cancers, heart surgeries, neurological, etc).

That's why I enjoy this thread-- The Intersection of FIRE and Disney (or whatever splurge or passion you have). Some others are completely focused on the savings aspect and don't take the time to think about why they're saving. For us, the point of FIRE is to be as intentional about our money as possible so that we have the freedom to enjoy the areas of life that we would like to give priority to (travel and volunteering). Yes, it will be great to retire early and be able to devote all our time to our passions, but we also want to enjoy those things throughout our lives not just after we retire.

That's why I enjoy this thread-- The Intersection of FIRE and Disney (or whatever splurge or passion you have). Some others are completely focused on the savings aspect and don't take the time to think about why they're saving. For us, the point of FIRE is to be as intentional about our money as possible so that we have the freedom to enjoy the areas of life that we would like to give priority to (travel and volunteering). Yes, it will be great to retire early and be able to devote all our time to our passions, but we also want to enjoy those things throughout our lives not just after we retire.
I’m glad you enjoy the name! I remember I really had to think about how I wanted to name the thread because I wanted it to be different from the other FIRE discussions out there on the web. I love your little commentary on priorities and freedom here. 😃

Our expectations and outlook are formed by what we see around them. You're clearly blessed in having a parent who is in great health. I have one parent who passed before he could enjoy much of the early retirement he had worked so hard to achieve and another who was left without financial issues but who has been unable to travel due to health reasons for the past decade.
My father died young too, but his death was 100% due to lifestyle choices.
We have chosen not to wait to do all our traveling until retirement
I don't think anyone has suggested putting off traveling (or other fun things) entirely until retirement. In fact, the word "balance" has been used quite a few times by multiple posters -- me included.

My father died young too, but his death was 100% due to lifestyle choices.

Mine did all the right things, and still left us far too soon. It's easy to judge and think that other people are incapable of travel due to their own choices, but reality can be much more brutal than that. I don't think I will post any more about this here, since it's very personal. I'll just say that I posted my thoughts on the subject, and I stand behind them. I'm a big believer in "you do you."

Hi, new to this thread (and FIRE), it seems interesting 🙂 I was curious how early everyone is intending to retire? Isit a retires in your 40’s? 50’s? When you turn 60?

I’ve never done fire, but my current retirement savings and plan have me retiring at 55.... the idea of earlier is tempting, but I’m not sure how much of my lifestyle I’m willing to sacrifice to get there.

Hi, new to this thread (and FIRE), it seems interesting 🙂 I was curious how early everyone is intending to retire? Isit a retires in your 40’s? 50’s? When you turn 60?

I’ve never done fire, but my current retirement savings and plan have me retiring at 55.... the idea of earlier is tempting, but I’m not sure how much of my lifestyle I’m willing to sacrifice to get there.

The biggest problem with retiring early is healthcare. I'm budgeting and saving to retire early, but I probably won't because of healthcare costs. Now, if some miracle happens, and we get a single payer system, then maybe in my 50s. Right now, I plan to work until I can get medicare.

The biggest problem with retiring early is healthcare. I'm budgeting and saving to retire early, but I probably won't because of healthcare costs. Now, if some miracle happens, and we get a single payer system, then maybe in my 50s. Right now, I plan to work until I can get medicare.

I’m Canadian, so it’s not really a worry here. If I want to cover dental, travel, physio and prescription costs, there is a conversion clause in my extended health from work. It would let my transfer all my extended benefits to a private plan that would be about $150 a month - which I budgeted in to my retirement plans. But I think American medical is quite a bit more expensive?

Based on current projections we would be able to retire in our mid 40s. Neither of us dislike our jobs though so we will probably scale back savings and slightly inflate lifestyle while allowing investments to compound.

Our major motivation for FI though is that we're in a boom/bust area that is centered around a single industry. There have been some rough patches in the past and we want to be set for life before one of those comes around again.

Mine did all the right things, and still left us far too soon. It's easy to judge and think that other people are incapable of travel due to their own choices, but reality can be much more brutal than that. I don't think I will post any more about this here, since it's very personal. I'll just say that I posted my thoughts on the subject, and I stand behind them. I'm a big believer in "you do you."
I think you're reading in more than I've said.
but I’m not sure how much of my lifestyle I’m willing to sacrifice to get there.
One of the big concepts of FIRE is that you spend mindfully, "give up" small things that add little to your life -- so you can get what you really want in the long term.
The biggest problem with retiring early is healthcare.
I agree that's one of the biggest problems with FIRE. I have a good friend who is literally working ONLY because she and her husband need the insurance. I have another friend who works part-time at a grocery store just so he can have insurance.
Our major motivation for FI though is that we're in a boom/bust area that is centered around a single industry. There have been some rough patches in the past and we want to be set for life before one of those comes around again.
Yeah, preparation sounds wise. If nothing bad happens, you're set to retire early. And I'll say this: While I don't dislike my job, I am burned out from doing the same thing year after year after year. If I thought I had to do this until I'm 67 (full retirement age for most of us), I'd be looking for a change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter