The iPhone Collective

I know the Dis boards shouldn't be our mobile device think tank / trouble shoot source but everyone is so responsive and helpful that I usually go here first before I go to the infernal Apple help boards.

I have an IPad 3. My Bluetooth is turned off. I have screen brightness down as far as I can tolerate but lately the battery drain is getting really silly.

Any ideas why? I do play Words with Friends a lot. And I have a lot of apps. Could a mystery one be pulling the battery so drastically?

Any advice is appreciated.

So has anyone on here had a bad Apple Maps experience yet? It has been getting a lot of criticism in the international press, and I was just wondering how much of it is hype...

I had my first unimpressive experience yesterday. I unknowingly misspelled the name of a street (I spelled it "Starlight" instead of "Starlite") and Maps was trying to navigate me to a completely different city...maybe I'm expecting too much from the app but I thought it should have kept me in the correct city and offered the correct spelling as an alternative. :confused3

I know the Dis boards shouldn't be our mobile device think tank / trouble shoot source but everyone is so responsive and helpful that I usually go here first before I go to the infernal Apple help boards.

I have an IPad 3. My Bluetooth is turned off. I have screen brightness down as far as I can tolerate but lately the battery drain is getting really silly.

Any ideas why? I do play Words with Friends a lot. And I have a lot of apps. Could a mystery one be pulling the battery so drastically?

Hmm...do you close your apps? :confused3

If by closing apps you mean at the bottom of the screen after pressing the home button.... Yes. I have been doing that..

What about location services? That is a huge drain if the device is always trying to keep track of where you are. There are a lot of apps that ask for it, even when it seems useless. Try turning some of those off...

Hope that helps!

So has anyone on here had a bad Apple Maps experience yet? It has been getting a lot of criticism in the international press, and I was just wondering how much of it is hype...

It is not hype at all. Apple has apologized for the flawed app.

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook
Apple’s CEO

http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

Maybe it's just me, but this is starting to taste like "New Coke" .....

http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

I saw the apology... But we all know that the media can affect the perception of a given situation. He could have been forced into issuing the statement because of pressure from the media.

After more "research" on my part, it seems that some places (San Fran, San Jose) are better than others. I'll tell you this.... The Google and Apple maps have sucked equally in Bucharest!

Have you also turned off the automatic push for emails? My iPhone drains terribly if it is constantly checking for emails so I set it to check only when I hit the email icon. Also by fiancé's new iPhone 5 had major battery issues until he was given a new SIM card. Does the iPsd have one of those that might be faulty?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I saw the apology... But we all know that the media can affect the perception of a given situation. He could have been forced into issuing the statement because of pressure from the media.

After more "research" on my part, it seems that some places (San Fran, San Jose) are better than others. I'll tell you this.... The Google and Apple maps have sucked equally in Bucharest!

Nobody forces Apple to do anything. Apple does what they want, when they want. That is power.

I think the Apple Maps drama is an interesting situation. It seems like a rare misstep for Apple to put themselves in this position. They must have known they would be subject to intense scrutiny, as indeed they have been - much more than the original Google Maps app ever was. As anyone who used it knows, there were plenty of mistakes in Google Maps too.

Consumer Reports just had a story about this, where they found that Apple Maps wasn't that bad. Note this is comparing Apple Maps to Google Maps for Android, which has more functionality than the iPhone version did (which is part of why Apple ditched Google for mapping). Consumer Reports generally is not particularly pro-Apple:

http://news.consumerreports.org/car...on-showdown-apple-ios6-vs-google-android.html

Here's another interesting story (from a pro-Apple website), about how the Motorola iLost ads used a fake address to make Apple Maps look bad. It's an interesting look at how the two apps deal with "wrong" addresses. I'm not sure that in this case Apple's method is worse:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...torola-ad-faked-an-address-to-lose-ios-6-maps

There are some real pluses to Apple Maps, in particular the vector graphics which make the data consumption much lower. From an eye candy standpoint, the flyover pictures, while different from Street View, are really nice too.

I do think Apple has to get on top of the PR situation, though. Fair or not, people have very high expectations for what they put out, and the maps app is a critical one.

There is a cool new Disney App called OutSpotted! in the itunes store which my family LOVE to play against each other and other Dis fans. Have any of you guys tried it yet? I think it is fairly new.

It is a spot the difference vs style game and features pics from the Different Walt Disney World parks.

Any T-Mobile users out there? Just wondering if their network upgrades have hit the parks and Orlando area, so iPhones are now able to access 4G/LTE speeds?

I have a question I could use some help with. We recently noticed that when I add items to my portfolio in the built-in Stocks app, or when I add locations to the built-in Weather app, they show up on my daughter's iPod. We both have iCloud turned off everywhere we can think to have it turned off (what an incredibly annoying feature that is) but it still happens. Is there any possible way to keep this from happening?

Do you share the same Apple ID? I had to set my daughter up with her own because she was receiving texts meant for me.

Do you share the same Apple ID? I had to set my daughter up with her own because she was receiving texts meant for me.
Yes, all 3 of us share the same Apple ID. Always have. Every once in a while, we run into a conflict. We've also had trouble with certain games. If one person installs and plays a game then someone else installs it, they get the first person's game data, so only one of us can play certain games.

So we need to each get our own Apple ID?

Yes, all 3 of us share the same Apple ID. Always have. Every once in a while, we run into a conflict. We've also had trouble with certain games. If one person installs and plays a game then someone else installs it, they get the first person's game data, so only one of us can play certain games.

So we need to each get our own Apple ID?

I have never noticed that stocks or weather sync. I will check for that.

Regarding Apple IDs, what works, although it is a bit convoluted to set up, is to share an AppleID for the store, so you don't have to buy apps, music, etc. more than once, but then have each person have their own ID other features, like the Game Center, email, iMessages, FaceTime, etc. You can log in with the ID you want to use for different things under Settings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter