The Key Program

I've started a review of our trip here, in the Royal Caribbean forum. Anyone who is interested can find it here or in my signature.

Looking forward to your review! We purchased The Key for our cruise - Allure 7 day Western Caribbean next month. First time cruisers here and need all the tips we can get!!

Additional thoughts here from Matt at RC blog

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/03/26/royal-caribbeans-the-key-worth-it

Is it worth it?
Now that you have a good idea of what The Key is and what it offers, here are some basic considerations for deciding if The Key is worth it.

Just like Royal Caribbean's drink package, ultimately the decision to purchase The Key requires the guest to take advantage of what it offers. The real value in the program is the priority access it provides, but it requires the guest to take the time to enjoy those benefits.

If you are staying in a suite (especially on Oasis of Quantum Class cruise ships) and/or are Diamond or higher in Crown and Anchor Society, we do not think it is worth purchasing the Key, since some (but not all) of the benefits are replicated/similar to what is offered by Crown and Anchor or suite benefits.

As previously stated, from a value standpoint, it makes a lot more sense to purchase The Key if you were already planning to purchase internet access on your ship.

The reality is there is no single answer that applies to everyone. In many cases, it boils down to how many benefits The Key affords will be something you will want to enjoy.

Ultimately, The Key is a way to splurge a bit and enjoy enhanced benefits otherwise not available. If the notion of enjoying priority access and less waiting sounds appealing, The Key is potentially a great idea.”

Still trying to make up my mind whether to get he Key for my September Canada/NE cruise or not. I can't physically do, nor do I want to, the FloRider, the rock wall, skating, zipline, or iFly. However, I very much want to do NorthStar, but I don't see it listed as it being a priority-access benefit of the Key. Can somebody confirm for me that it is NOT included as a benefit?

Also - I am disabled, and will have a rollator or a scooter for the shows. Does anyone know if there is any handicapped seating in the Key show areas, or would I have the "regular" handicapped seating, with or without the Key?

Thanx for any and all help!

Last edited:
Anyone know where The Key seats are located in the theater? Are these the first couple rows that are reserved (or not sure if those are just for suite members). Or further back? Or in balcony?

DH bought The Key for our cruise as birthday gift ...but not sure I'm thrilled with it. For me, the theatre seats are the only good thing (if these are the front few row). My thing is...we go away to get away from the world and spend time together...and now how he'll have internet....so that defeats the purpose. We don't do rock wall when it's the two of us (as our kids aren't with us) so private sessions to those kind of things won't be used. Chops lunch and debarkation breakfast...those are nice. As for carry on drop off at your stateroom...carry on usually has valuables and meds...so I won't want to hand mine over to anyone. (May help DH though)

Anyone know where The Key seats are located in the theater? Are these the first couple rows that are reserved (or not sure if those are just for suite members). Or further back? Or in balcony?

DH bought The Key for our cruise as birthday gift ...but not sure I'm thrilled with it. For me, the theatre seats are the only good thing (if these are the front few row). My thing is...we go away to get away from the world and spend time together...and now how he'll have internet....so that defeats the purpose. We don't do rock wall when it's the two of us (as our kids aren't with us) so private sessions to those kind of things won't be used. Chops lunch and debarkation breakfast...those are nice. As for carry on drop off at your stateroom...carry on usually has valuables and meds...so I won't want to hand mine over to anyone. (May help DH though)

Based on the pictures I've seen on different reviews, the reserved seats are in the first rows.

Regarding The Key: Try it, you never know. I thought Club Level was not useful and a waste of money... Until WDW upgraded us/gifted us a CL stay... Now I am hooked.

Who knows. You might enjoy it more than you think. :)

Based on the pictures I've seen on different reviews, the reserved seats are in the first rows.

Regarding The Key: Try it, you never know. I thought Club Level was not useful and a waste of money... Until WDW upgraded us/gifted us a CL stay... Now I am hooked.

Who knows. You might enjoy it more than you think. :)
Thanks. That's good if its first few row then (although not sure reserved seating is needed as much on our cruise which is Adventure, compared with Oasis class)

Thanks. That's good if its first few row then (although not sure reserved seating is needed as much on our cruise which is Adventure, compared with Oasis class)

What ship are you on?

We were on Symphony and it’s the first few rows of the balcony. If you buy the theatre experience that they sell in the cruise planner that seats you in the first few rows.

What ship are you on?

We were on Symphony and it’s the first few rows of the balcony. If you buy the theatre experience that they sell in the cruise planner that seats you in the first few rows.

Really? Those are not the seats I'd want. I'm more of a front row orchestra gal. This is on Adventure.

I know the Key means we can drop off our carry on bags and they will deliver those to the room. BUT can one of my carryons be a 12 pack of water? It would be under the weight limit of 25lbs....but wasn't sure if they would do this or not. Anyone have any experience with that?

Per the RC page:

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted.

Per the RC page:

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted.

Yea, I know that I CAN carry on water....but what I didn't know is if I had the Key, if I could drop off water as part of my luggage. And then have them take it to the room. I just didn't know if they would only take actual luggage or if water would count. You know, since they can make me pay for it on the ship. :)

Yea, I know that I CAN carry on water....but what I didn't know is if I had the Key, if I could drop off water as part of my luggage. And then have them take it to the room. I just didn't know if they would only take actual luggage or if water would count. You know, since they can make me pay for it on the ship. :)

The water can be dropped off - just do 12 packs not 24 packs so you can get it onboard...

We have a cruise booked for August 2020. When will the option for the Key appear as available for purchase? Dining has just started appearing.

We have purchased the Key for our end of July Freedom cruise. We did it mainly because we were going to have to buy internet to check on the kids back home. I am very confused by this reserving seats for shows. Is this only for certain ships? Is this the case for the Freedom of the Seas?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts