The Key Program

We have purchased the Key for our end of July Freedom cruise. We did it mainly because we were going to have to buy internet to check on the kids back home. I am very confused by this reserving seats for shows. Is this only for certain ships? Is this the case for the Freedom of the Seas?
My understanding is that you can only pre-book shows on Quantum and Oasis class ships. But I did read tickets are available for Freedom shows but they are complementary and available on the ship. When you are on the cruise planner under Entertainment, do you have the option to pre-book shows? I am sailing on Harmony in September and was able to book shows about a month ago.

My understanding is that you can only pre-book shows on Quantum and Oasis class ships. But I did read tickets are available for Freedom shows but they are complementary and available on the ship. When you are on the cruise planner under Entertainment, do you have the option to pre-book shows? I am sailing on Harmony in September and was able to book shows about a month ago.
No there is not option to do that.

Has anyone done "The Key" on the Liberty of the Seas? I know the Galveston RCCL terminal is smaller than a lot of others and was wondering about the experience there.

Just back from Adventure of the Seas. On Adventure, they don't have reservations for shows, but they do have a seating section reserved for Key and high-end Crown and Anchor statuses for the live shows and the ice show. Don't see a major advantage to that because 1: it looked like Key members still had to come early since several minutes before the show they'd open those sections to everyone and very few shows filled to capacity anyway and 2: the reserved seating sections weren't significantly better than the rest of the theatre/venue. They also had a Key checkin area at the embarkation port of Bayonne, but, at least when we checked in (about 10:30 for a 3:00 departure), the general checkin lines were no longer than those for the Key. I think the Key members were able to board the ship first, but that was only a 10 or 15 minute difference also. Another guest was sitting next to us at breakfast at the last port in Halifax that did have The Key and they said they probably wouldn't bother with it again...

Just back from Adventure of the Seas. On Adventure, they don't have reservations for shows, but they do have a seating section reserved for Key and high-end Crown and Anchor statuses for the live shows and the ice show. Don't see a major advantage to that because 1: it looked like Key members still had to come early since several minutes before the show they'd open those sections to everyone and very few shows filled to capacity anyway and 2: the reserved seating sections weren't significantly better than the rest of the theatre/venue. They also had a Key checkin area at the embarkation port of Bayonne, but, at least when we checked in (about 10:30 for a 3:00 departure), the general checkin lines were no longer than those for the Key. I think the Key members were able to board the ship first, but that was only a 10 or 15 minute difference also. Another guest was sitting next to us at breakfast at the last port in Halifax that did have The Key and they said they probably wouldn't bother with it again...
DH had bought The Key for me as a birthday gift for our Adventure cruise. But I had him cancel it as from what I've read, the show reservation seats are up in the balcony. This is true, right? For me, reserved seats are one of the best perks, but to me, premium seats are front row on main orchestra level.

DH had bought The Key for me as a birthday gift for our Adventure cruise. But I had him cancel it as from what I've read, the show reservation seats are up in the balcony. This is true, right? For me, reserved seats are one of the best perks, but to me, premium seats are front row on main orchestra level.

That's correct...the reserved seats were in the balcony, center section. And it was also interesting that it seemed like those using it had to show up early, since they took "The Key" reserved seating sign down about 10 or 15 minutes before the performances.

That's correct...the reserved seats were in the balcony, center section. And it was also interesting that it seemed like those using it had to show up early, since they took "The Key" reserved seating sign down about 10 or 15 minutes before the performances.
Thanks for confirming. So yeah...having the Key seats up in the balcony, even if front row there, is a negative for me. I think it differs by ship (e.g. Anthem is front row main level).

I'll add a detail that we did not know in advance. During the "welcome lunch" and "farewell breakfast" you have to share a table with other guests.

Really???? That is something I have never heard before. Are you saying there are only large tables in the main dining room for embarkation lunch and debarkation breakfast? We will be a party of 4.

Really???? That is something I have never heard before. Are you saying there are only large tables in the main dining room for embarkation lunch and debarkation breakfast? We will be a party of 4.

I think so.

They had set tables for 6 to 8 people on deck 5 (dining room) and regrouped us... We were 4 couples seated together for lunch.

On breakfast morning, DH and I got seated with a mom and her teenage daughter + a mom and her young son. Completely random.

We are not antisocial but do not relish the idea of eating with people we don’t know and being forced into conversation - especially paying extra (with the Key) for the privilege. I wonder if this is how seating was done when the lunch was served in Chops? I’m frankly still not thrilled Royal keeps chipping away at Key benefits.

Thanks for the heads up.

When we had Key in April - seating was not mixed. Infact - they only had 1 table for 6 in the breakfast area - otherwise all smaller tables were used on Symphony .

We are not antisocial but do not relish the idea of eating with people we don’t know and being forced into conversation - especially paying extra (with the Key) for the privilege. I wonder if this is how seating was done when the lunch was served in Chops? I’m frankly still not thrilled Royal keeps chipping away at Key benefits.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm happy I tried it but I probably won't repeat the experience now that the prices are higher.

Glad to hear sharing tables for the Key lunch may be ship specific. I had not read any reviews of the Key on an Oasis class ship with shared tables. Still waffling back and forth on whether to cancel. We just may give it a try for ourselves this once and hope for a Black Friday price reduction to take some of the sting out of the price.

I'll add a detail that we did not know in advance. During the "welcome lunch" and "farewell breakfast" you have to share a table with other guests.

This was absolutely NOT true for either our lunch in Chops or our breakfast in the MDR. We were seated at a table just for the 3 of us. As far as I could tell everyone else was dining with their own party as well.

When we had Key in April - seating was not mixed. Infact - they only had 1 table for 6 in the breakfast area - otherwise all smaller tables were used on Symphony .

Agreed. We were seated at a 4 top for our family of 3, and around us were tables of 2-4.

This was absolutely NOT true for either our lunch in Chops or our breakfast in the MDR. We were seated at a table just for the 3 of us. As far as I could tell everyone else was dining with their own party as well.

Agreed. We were seated at a 4 top for our family of 3, and around us were tables of 2-4.

Which ship were you on? And when?

Because on Mariner, last week-end, that’s how it was (MDR, shared tables).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!