The linguistics of Disney conlangs: Atlantis vs Star Wars

AurumPunzel

DIS Veteran
Having watched Atlantis, I can't help but notice how great the effort was in creating Dig Adlantisag, particularly since Star Trek's linguist Marc Okrand was involved in its creation, which made me think that Star Wars' approach to linguistics leaves a lot to be desired. The amount of repetitive phrases translated in different ways makes the effort seem sloppy and haphazard, and compared to other conlangs used in cinema and on TV, particularly in fantasy and sci-fi franchises, the effort Lucasfilm puts into languages makes me think that it's too amateur.

Personally, I think that more effort should be put into constructing languages and not taking soundbites from others, while mixing them up with broken English and gibberish. I only hope that, once the LA remake of Atlantis comes around, they expand on Dig Adlantisag and learn lessons from that to make the languages in Star Wars better for the future New Republic saga.

Am I the only one who thinks that, or am I not alone in discussing Disney conlangs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!