The Love Bug issue

Blueyed Girl

HAKUNA MATATA!
I wasn't on the DIS last year at this time. My question is this...is the subject of Love Bugs such an issue every season?? It seems like everyone is going love bug crazy. There are a LOT of questions floating around about them as well as people actually thinking about canceling their WDW vacation!!:scared1: Maybe it's because I have lived in the south all my life and have dealt with them all my life, that I just can NOT imagine canceling an entire vacation. Especially to WDW over silly little love bugs??:confused3 They don't bite, they don't sting, they aren't big. They just fly around and mate. There are a lot of them and yes, they are out during the day and night. More so during the day. I'm not even sure about what their purpose is on this planet other than to mess up the paint on your vehicle if you don't wash them off. They will not hurt you in any form or fashion, and they are just a way of life down here...but only for a week or so.

Tell you what....anyone who wishes to cancel their trip over love bugs, would you please send me your tickets?? I'll be sure to give you a full report when I get back!:thumbsup2

The Love Bugs are particularly bad this year....and they are here late.

Love bugs usually arrive in May and September. They are usually gone by now.

They are bad enough that the Florida Highway patrol is issuing safety warnings for drivers on 95, the FL Turnpike and 75......ESPECIALLY if you are on a motorcycle. :scared1:

There is some sort of folklore that if you have a lot of love bugs, you wont have hurricanes...or you will have hurricanes....or you'll kill two birds in a bush with one rock. I wasn't really paying attention in folklore class.

They should be gone soon....just in time for hurricane season.....which will be lighter or heavier this year. :rotfl2:

Kevin

Hi

Which months are the lovebugs out? I was over from the UK in late September / early october last year and I'm sure they were around then. Seem to remember they were particularly bad at the AK bus stop and on the ferry between MK & Wilderness Lodge.

Rich

hehe I just remembered about those little Love Bugs :love: ! there were quite a few around when I was in wdw last september. The bus driver on the Disney Magical Express made some great jokes about them.. there were quite a few on the windows of the bus and he said "by next week there will be so many that I won't be able to see the road!" ;)

Barbie xxx

Love bugs both in Florida and my neck of the woods can be like an Old Testament plague. When we were down last week, it was on the turnpike between Wildwood and Orlando when they were the absolute worst - it was like a hailstorm. Ack.

But canceling a trip because of 'em? Perish the thought.

And, they were a dandy conversation starter when our kids were younger. Still, when I see them on my arm, I feel like saying, "Guys, my arm is not a hotel. Get a room."

Will they still be around mid-June?

Is there a car wash place anywhere near WDW property?

Thanks for any help.

- Kate

They were so thick in September of 2005, one even managed to find it's way home in our luggage:rolleyes: ! They totally don't bother me one bit. Just don't show me spiders:scared: .

There is some sort of folklore that if you have a lot of love bugs, you wont have hurricanes...

You know, you may have something there. Like this year, last year they predicted a busier than usual hurricane season. A friend and I went to Disney last September and the lovebugs were so thick . . . I had to keep my mouth closed most of the day so they wouldn't fly in. ;) And, you have no idea how hard that was. :goodvibes That busy hurricane season they predicted???? Didn't happen . . . Coincidence? I think not. :thumbsup2

I got a couple stuck in my hair, and on the boat from MK to WL, they were everywhere outside. Sadness, filled my heart.

All I can say it yuck! I hate any bug.... :scared: Are they really bad? I'll be there in sept and really don't want them touching me. :sad1:

All I can say it yuck! I hate any bug.... :scared: Are they really bad? I'll be there in sept and really don't want them touching me. :sad1:

Your only choice then is to cancel your trip and send someone else your tickets! :confused3

AmberI - I wouldn't worry too much about the love bugs.. they dont bite, sting or anything like that - not a reason not to go to the World! ::MickeyMo

We were there last September, and there was one day in MGM that it was like something out of a horror film. I don't mean they hurt you, they are completely harmless. But the sheer number of them was almost impossible to believe. I have been going in May and September for years and have never seen anything like it. I felt so bad for some of the CMs...

That said I would still pick September over any other month given the choice. We are doing October this year due to my niece's schedules, and I will really miss the low crowds.

Well I'll be ther the 3rd and 4th week of sept so maybe i'll get lucky and not see to many :)

What part of september do they usually arrive? I have a 3 year old who is terrified of bugs, this could be an interesting vacation. I am sure we will have some stories to tell about her reactions to them.

What part of september do they usually arrive? I have a 3 year old who is terrified of bugs, this could be an interesting vacation. I am sure we will have some stories to tell about her reactions to them.

Iwould like to know what weeks of sept also. I went the first week of Oct 2 yrs ago and I don't think I saw any. We are going the last week of sept this year and I hope they are almost over.

The Love Bugs are particularly bad this year....and they are here late.

Love bugs usually arrive in May and September. They are usually gone by now.

They are bad enough that the Florida Highway patrol is issuing safety warnings for drivers on 95, the FL Turnpike and 75......ESPECIALLY if you are on a motorcycle. :scared1:

There is some sort of folklore that if you have a lot of love bugs, you wont have hurricanes...or you will have hurricanes....or you'll kill two birds in a bush with one rock. I wasn't really paying attention in folklore class.

They should be gone soon....just in time for hurricane season.....which will be lighter or heavier this year. :rotfl2:

Kevin

I heard that Disney has been partnering with a university to find ways to train their World Showcase Seagulls to eat all of those lovebugs!

Last year the 3rd week of September was AWFUL for love bugs. I was down 3 weeks ago and they were getting bad (my car still has the bugs on the grill and front!) Those boogers are really tough to get off of the car once they bake on in the FL Sun and heat. We couldn't take it through a car wash because someone decided to use a crow bar to take out one of my windows to break into my car on the way down to FL, so by the time we could get that fixed and wash the car they were stuck pretty bad.
By the way, the windshield is pretty tough to clean as well once they are hit at 70mph and become a part of your window! :earseek:

They are annoying, but certainly not enough to cancel a trip over. I had to knock them off of my suitcase while waiting for DME last September what seemed like a million times. Ended up with one still there when I got to the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter