The Love Bug issue

Here's a small sample of how bad they were last September, 2006. This was taken on the 20th at MGM studios.

Annoying at times, but didn't affect our vacation at all.

DSC00618Small.jpg

While I can do without the love bugs, is it something to be concerned about when planning a vacation, no. Especailly not a vacation to WDW. They fly around, they get squashed into the front of your car, but they are no more annoying than the other flies that will bother you at lunch in the MK, etc. They dont bite, they dont sting, and its quite fun to pull the two ends of them apart:) Enjoy your trips, and nevermind the bugs. Remember, you are going to DISNEY WORLD!:)

Hi - friends of ours just got back from Florida ( Orlando Area ) and there were radio broadcasts warning about dense clouds of them , the dangers of not having your window wash reservoir topped up etc- apparently it was quite bad.
Maybe it will be over by September? :cool2:

Hi - friends of ours just got back from Florida ( Orlando Area ) and there were radio broadcasts warning about dense clouds of them , the dangers of not having your window wash reservoir topped up etc- apparently it was quite bad.
Maybe it will be over by September? :cool2:

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how many come in May, there will still be more in September. I was at Disney from 9/12 to 9/22 last year, and the lovebugs were really heavy the last half of the trip. I didn't notice any the first half of the trip. But they don't arrive on a specific date. One year they may start at the end of August, the next they may not start until the end of September. May and September are the most likely months to see them.

Last January we were standing in England in Epcot watching the street performers and the love bugs were so bad we couldn't stay we had to keep walking. My DH was sad because he loves that show. :sad1:

What part of september do they usually arrive? I have a 3 year old who is terrified of bugs, this could be an interesting vacation. I am sure we will have some stories to tell about her reactions to them.

My 8 year old son still feels the way your 3 y.o. feels about bugs! Before our May trip I began desensitizing him to them, saying, "Oh I wonder if we'll see those cute harmless little Fla. Love Bugs again this year? They remind me of baby lightning bugs...it's so special that they live in FLA...". It worked (we expereinced the LB's here and there during our trip)!!:confused3

They were so thick in September of 2005, one even managed to find it's way home in our luggage:rolleyes: ! They totally don't bother me one bit. Just don't show me spiders:scared: .

We went during the same time as you; how come I don't recall seeing even one of these bugs?

We were there the last week of sept 06 and had never experienced them before. They were really bad at our hotel ASMu, but we didn't notice them too much in the parks. We went to GF for a wedding planning session, and noticed that we saw almost none over there. I guess it's really hit or miss, even in bad weeks.

Wow...I live in Alaska and we don't have Love Bugs..:upsidedow . never even heard of them before... Are they only out during May and September? We are going in August, Are there lovebugs in August. I'm not really concerned just curious. We have Mosquitos here the size of small birds (LoL, joking...well kinda):scared1: so I'm not scared of bugs, but curious none the less.... Do they look like flies? :3dglasses

Found this picture on the internet. This is basically what you'll see. They are connected at the "butt", even while flying.

lovebugs.jpg

We were in WDW all last week, and they are there stilll! :scared: Although they seemed to lessen significantly as the week progressed, and they were never intolerable (giant swarms?! didn't see any!). A little annoying at times, but not bad. I certainly wouldn't have canceled a trip because of love bugs - they don't bite or sting, and I'd much rather have a few love bugs than mosquitos biting me! By the way, other bugs weren't bad - the skeeters here in TN are way worse, I think I came home with one mosquito bite for the whole trip, versus the 10 or 12 I'll get after a half hour outside in the evening here.

Although we were sort of confused since we don't have them here in Tennessee (at least none that I've ever seen) - are they mating or what? Those are some weird looking critters!

We were there last September, and there was one day in MGM that it was like something out of a horror film. I don't mean they hurt you, they are completely harmless. But the sheer number of them was almost impossible to believe. I have been going in May and September for years and have never seen anything like it. I felt so bad for some of the CMs...

What day was this?

I think we know which one...on our MGM day there were SO MANY lovebugs it was seriously insane. :eek: :sad2:

They mostly stayed on Sunset Boulevard, though. :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!