The Marathon was amazing!!! What now?!?

Beeble

Earning My Ears
I finished my first Disney marathon and my first marathon ever! One of the hardest things that I've ever done. I injured my IT band about a month and a half ago, so I had low expectations going in because I hadn't done my long runs for that whole period. At the Expo, I saw the Jeff Galloway booth, talked to a pacer there, and decided to give it a try. I ran with the 4:45 pace group until mile 22 where I just couldn't keep up anymore. I switched to a 30-30 run/walk split and finished at 4:51 with no IT band pain!

I'm still recovering from the soreness, but I don't know what to do now. I want to run next year. I think I want to buy into the Galloway method, but it's pretty pricey to do the customized training program. The public program on the website seems a little low mileage for my taste and fitness goals. Is it worth the money? I'd love any advice that you could throw my way. Thanks and congrats to all the runners!

I've run Galloway for marathons and not quite followed his training plan. I've done remixes on traditional 16 week marathon training plans with OrangeTheory fitness 4 days per week to get the week day runs and strength/weights/xtraining in and then a long run on the weekend. I just do run/walk/run when I run the longer distances and it's worked out great. Managed to run about a 5:30 full and done that now for 6 marathons. Goal this year is to do less races and more practice and finally break that sub 5 barrier by Chicago.

I think I want to buy into the Galloway method
There are Galloway groups in many towns. I joined one in my town and it is great--lots of pace groups with a mix in each group of experienced and more novice to Galloway. We run together for long runs each Saturday morning (accountability!) which is great because there's a planned route, pace group leaders, water stops, etc. Everyone is on their own to get the weekday runs done the way that best suits them. Some people get together for those too, but that is much more casual.

with OrangeTheory fitness 4 days per week
A friend of mine does Orange Theory in lieu of some of her short runs to keep injuries at bay. She rocked the marathon!

I finished my first Disney marathon and my first marathon ever! One of the hardest things that I've ever done. I injured my IT band about a month and a half ago, so I had low expectations going in because I hadn't done my long runs for that whole period. At the Expo, I saw the Jeff Galloway booth, talked to a pacer there, and decided to give it a try. I ran with the 4:45 pace group until mile 22 where I just couldn't keep up anymore. I switched to a 30-30 run/walk split and finished at 4:51 with no IT band pain!

I'm still recovering from the soreness, but I don't know what to do now. I want to run next year. I think I want to buy into the Galloway method, but it's pretty pricey to do the customized training program. The public program on the website seems a little low mileage for my taste and fitness goals. Is it worth the money? I'd love any advice that you could throw my way. Thanks and congrats to all the runners!

I’ve done a fair amount of running intervals while rehabbing from injuries. I’ve never followed a Galloway plan. Rather, I find an interval set that works for the given situation and then used something like a Higdon plan for the weekly mileage structure. It’s worked great for me in the past.

Congrats on the marathon! You can use any training plan with Galloway Intervals. If you don't have a race to prepare for even just heading out for a 3 mile run and start at say :30/:30 than if it's not right adjust. If I do intervals I prefer 2:00/:30 or 2:30/:30 so just play around with them and you'll find one you like the best (which may change depending on the distance). Basically just recovering now and building a base of mileage until what 18 weeks out then start a plan. Some people like to use plans even when they don't have a race, but you have to be careful you don't over do it or peak and burn out too early. Find some maybe local races to do before marathon weekend to keep you motivated as well.

I believe I ran with you for several miles! Were you the guy excited to see his wife at the TTC? I ran with the group for the first 11 Miles.

I’ve done the Galloway customized training program with Chris Twiggs for the past 18 months. Through the training plans, I’ve PRed my last two marathons (last year as part of Goofy and this year as part of Dopey) and stayed (running) injury free. Initially price is high but much less when you renew. I really recommend it, especially if you are going for a goal. Feel free to contact me for more info.

I completed Dopey - and my first marathon! - in 2018. Like you, I had IT band issues starting about a month-and-a-half before the races. I was unable to do much running in the weeks leading up to the races, but finished under my goal and had no issues with the IT band even after the 48+ miles. I credit my physical therapist. He helped me come up with a plan of attack, knowing I had a lot of running on the horizon.

So what do you do next...

Assess your situation. Shoes, hot spots, sore spots. Maybe sign up for a local 1/2.

If you have a Garmin watch (mine is a refurb ~$200) , set the interval timer (just turn off the audible beep) and run-walk-run away!

Most of the Galloway plans are out there in one form or the other. For $18 you can buy his book if you feel the need to credit the creator.
All the plans go a little something like 3 active days a week. Run 45, Rest, Run 55, Rest, Run (slowly increasing from ~6 to ~23 miles with significant pull-backs in mileage) Rest, Rest. Sprinkle in some yoga, body weight cross training and viola!

Also your town might not have a Galloway Group, but it will have a running group of some sort...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!