The Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show - Updated for 2017 (30 March 2017)

Thank you so much for sharing all those pictures! I want a garden like those in the pictures. There are so much pretty flowers, and plants, and so much talent!

Thank you for the update, and especially thank you for continuing the thread. I got to go back and remember!

I loved the pipes with the whimsical animals, and the hyacinths!

2016 Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show

This major event in Melbourne's calendar is one that is usually a must-do for me. However, I wasn't expecting to find time to make this year's show as we had a visitor staying with us and we were doing a roadtrip that spanned the 2 or 3 days of this year's show.

And then....unexpected....on Sunday, DH and I found ourselves in the city with about 90 minutes to kill and we decided a dash to the Exhibition Building was in order.

The Melbourne International Flower and Garden (MIFG) Show is held over 4 days at the Exhibition Gardens and Exhibition Building.
With only 90 minutes, this visit was always going to be a bit of a quick snap around MIFG. But better 90 minutes than none at all!

Under the Great Dome is exactly where we thought we would spend the bulk of our time.

Yes, we made a beeline for the Flower part of the show.

Seems like 'Pink' is the in-hue this year.

As always, the commercial florists were out to prove bigger is better where their displays were concerned.

Whilst I'll be the first to admit that the florist displays are stunning, I always prefer checking out the little details.

It was nice to see Asian touches in some of the displays.

A number of the florists went with the green jungle look this year, Somehow, I don't think I'll be converting my garden to follow suit.

This was the stand that took my fancy. It had all the hallmarks of a market garden roadside stall. So well done in it's simplicity!

Chep pallets were all the rage last year for a quick and cheap means of creating a vertical garden. Looks like the horizontal platform might be in vogue this year. Again, not a trend I'll be following too much.

I did say that "Pink" looks like the in-vogue colour this year, didn't I?

I liked the concept of the baobab-like trunk vase; complete with branches as the floral display.

I have to say that I liked the diamante attention-to-detail!

Aside from pink, it looks like the rustic brown wood outdoor shed was also in fashion.

Believe it or not, I could see this in my backyard!

Last edited:

We also dashed upstairs to check out the student displays.

I always like to see the whimsical table decorations and settings that the students dream up.

As always.....beautiful to look at.

This was a dedication to Frida Kahlo. I never found out why!

At least this setting allowed more room on the tables!

We raced back downstairs to check out the mannequin dress displays. I LOVED this one! Couldn't see myself wearing it......but I loved the textures.

This made me think about Robinson Crusoe and Man Friday. Don't ask me why....it just did.

I grow lavendar in my garden. Now I know what to do with all those flowers!!!

I quite liked the fruit dress this year. There was something about the skirt that just made me want to pick at it!

After all the greens and browns, it was a relief to see a bit of colour.

This was an up-close detail of one of that skirts. Love the velvety texture!

We were running out of time by this stage.

We walked out of the Great Hall to the announcement that the show was closed and we should make our way to the nearest exit.

Yeah. We all know how good I am at following instructions.

In our defence, I will say that we made our way to the exit. It just wasn't the nearest one. We took the route that walked down the Landscape Show Gardens.

Afterall, there were diversions along the way that I just needed to take a closer look at. I loved the details of that peacock!

Our route took us down the Achievable Gardens display. This one took out first place.

The Achievable Gardens displays are always a highlight for me. I like to think this is how my backyard could look...one day.

Or it could look like this!

Or this!

By this stage, we had hit the exit. It had been way too brief a visit for me this year. But at least 90 minutes is better than none! Here's to next year.

Adding a few more pictures.....I did spend some time amusing myself with abstract type pictures. Thought I'd share them this year.

princess::upsidedow

2017 Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show

Another year, another Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show.

This year, the MIFGS was held in the last weekend of March. I made time in my calendar to hit the show on the first day it was opened to the public. That meant I was there on a weekday, and the crowds were significantly less than at the weekend. Yay me!

Ordinarily, I practically run into the Great Hall to see the floral displays before the crowds but this year, I took my time meandering about the 'show' part.

There were some very pretty blooms that caught my eye. Strong pink hues seem to be "in" this year.

It wasn't only pinks. There were deep vibrant colours in practically every species of garden flower.

I walked past a stand of succulents. En masse, they were very eye-catching!

I was also way-laid by the Tulip and Bulb Grower's stand.

I did eventually make it into the Great Hall.

There were flower talks underway.

And little nooks filled with live entertainment.

I was also confronted with floral displays of all sorts.

Aside from smelling delightful, it was stunning to look at everywhere! It just took my baby's breath away.

Let's just check out some of what my camera captured.

One of the Professional Florists completely stunned everyone with her stand. I might have gone a little crazy capturing her amazing display.

Last edited:
Some of the other items that caught my eye in the Great Hall.

Upstairs, as usual, we found the table arrangements.

I was also amazed the find Bonsai. I don't think I've seen such a diverse display of Bonsai at the MIFGS before.

One of my favourite categories to look at under the Great Hall is the Floral Dresses. This year, I absolutely loved what was on display.

The details were rather stunning this year!

Time to head back outside to check out the Landscape Show Gardens.

I always dream about the Show Gardens but in reality, the gardens for small spaces are more in keeping with what might be possible at my place.

And with the small gardens, that wraps up the MIFGS for 2017.
Catch you all next year. :teeth:

I just found this beautiful thread. Love all the flowers. I kill any living plant that comes into my house but I really enjoy flowers. My daughter draws me pictures of flowers now since she can't buy them for me anymore lol.

So pretty, and there is alot of talent in putting those together!
Thank you for sharing your lovey pictures! I always enjoy seeing them!

I just found this beautiful thread. Love all the flowers. I kill any living plant that comes into my house but I really enjoy flowers. My daughter draws me pictures of flowers now since she can't buy them for me anymore lol.

Welcome to the board!
That is very kind of your daughter. Have you tried planting succulents? They only need watering like once a week. And there are many different varieties to choose from. They also are small, so they do not take up much space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!