The Million Dollar Question....

NBA couldn't pay enough for that.. Also it's not like the NBA players are there to go into the parks.

Agree 100% I cant imagine Disney closing everything down for NBA BUT..... there are some on the other board whom think its very possible.

In my humble opinion, members are justified for questioning why the DVC resorts are still closed. I am not aware of any state restrictions which would force a timeshare to remain closed. Owners have the right to begin using their resorts again.

Issues with dismissing College Program participants, union contracts, maintenance, restocking resorts...those are Disney problems. I have a vague understanding of the many challenges involved, but we pay them to manage the resorts. Disney needs to find solutions to problems that Disney created.

Reopening the DVC resorts shouldn’t get second-tier status behind opening the parks, opening cash hotels, etc. Heck, you could argue that the DVC resorts should have reopened before Disney Springs.

Please note this has nothing to do with any personal thoughts regarding Covid. If people choose not to go, that’s their prerogative. I suspect there are owners willing to visit while the parks are closed, wearing a mask, agreeing to the risk, etc. What legal justification do they have for continuing to block DVC owners from using their resorts?

Whether the DVC resorts are at 100% occupancy or 10% occupancy is irrelevant. Thousands of businesses have figured out how to keep employees and customers safe throughout the pandemic. DVC members paid for a resort experience and I’m not entirely sure why Disney is showing so little urgency to meet that obligation to its owners.

No clue. I think some of thought is NBA wants to make a tight bubble around the players and their families. Hence closing much of World off.

That's funny. And weird. They can have as tight or maybe tighter bubble than what they probably have at their homes just by closing whatever resort(s) they use and WWOS to NBA. No need to block off the rest of WDW.

Well whats everyone's opinion on this whole NBA thing? @Sandisw thoughts?

There is some speculation going around (especially on the other thread) that a good majority of World will NOT open up while NBA is playing there for the next couple of months.

So they are going to keep DVC closed because the NBA is there?

Wow that just screams major lawsuit if that happened.

I am interested to see how it plays out but more interested in what happens this week with the plans.

As I said, they do have leeway in making sure the time to get back up and running is within safety guidelines, but when they start opening up other areas, where Disney CMs are working again, then the opening of DVC has to be sooner rather than later or I think they would be close to a on violation.

It is why I don’t see them opening some DVC and not others, unless it’s offside ones..and even then, only because Mayor or Governor didn’t approve plans yet for WDW...and I am only talking resoets,

Like I said after the announcement, I will be in contact with DVC.

Well whats everyone's opinion on this whole NBA thing? @Sandisw thoughts?

There is some speculation going around (especially on the other thread) that a good majority of World will NOT open up while NBA is playing there for the next couple of months.

So they are going to keep DVC closed because the NBA is there?

Wow that just screams major lawsuit if that happened.

Yeah, this should not prevent either the DVC resorts or theme parks from reopening.

As an NBA fan, I’ve followed this possibility for weeks now. It’s more of a figurative “bubble” than a literal one. The players, team staff, and all other essential personnel would largely be sequestered between hotels and the Wide World Of Sports complex. There was talk that even family members would be prohibited from traveling with the athletes, though that’s still under discussion. Even if family members are permitted, they would likely have to agree to a high level of isolation. Even visiting the theme parks or Disney Springs seems unlikely because the goal is to keep the entire NBA infrastructure Covid-free for as long as it takes to complete the season.

Using a resort like Coronado Springs probably makes the most sense since it’s large, isolated and has no DVC component. NBA personnel & hotel workers would be the only ones permitted on the hotel grounds. They would essentially be bused to-and-from WWOS...and that’s about it.

I don’t see how Disney could justify keeping DVC resorts shut down for a venture like this. I don’t even think they could utilize a resort like Riviera—which is very close to WWOS—if it meant relocating DVC members. Our ownership includes certain rights that Disney cannot arbitrarily take away, even if it means helping the NBA restart during a pandemic.

It is possible DIsney could open resorts before the parks, meaning the combined DVC/DIsney hotel resorts, but I doubt that will occur, There is a particular issue to be aware of that actually makes it impossible to open the WDW DVC resorts without also opening the DIsney hotel resorts. That issue is the fact that the Walt DIsney Parks and Resorts company that runs WDW, and not DVC, gets to determine when the employees are brought back.

All those employees who work at, or otherwise service, the WDW DVC resorts, including those conducting front desk, bell services, maintenance, housekeeping, security, and transportation services, are employees of the DIsney Parks and Resorts company, not DVC, the associations, or DVCM, the manager of the DVC resorts. That Parks and Resorts company and DVCM have an agreement called the Property Managememt Subcontract, which you may have noticed is mentioned annually in the budget provided to members (but to actually get a copy you need to formally request one in writing from DVC), under which the Disney Resorts company agrees to provide to the DVC resorts the employee services needed for the resorts, while it is also providing such services to the WDW resorts as a whole, and the association and DVCM agree to pay the fair and equitable share of the total costs of such employees that are applicable to serving the DVC resorts.

In essence, until the Disney Resorts company recalls the employees, which it will when it decides to open the hotel resorts, there will be no employees to work the WDW DVC resorts, and you cannot possibly open the DVC Resorts without any employees to service them.

Last edited:
It is possible DIsney could open resorts before the parks, meaning the combined DVC/DIsney hotel resorts, but I doubt that will occur, There is a particular issue to be aware of that actually makes it impossible to open the WDW DVC resorts without also opening the DIsney hotel resorts. That issue is the fact that the Walt DIsney Parks and Resorts company that runs WDW, and not DVC, gets to determine when the employees are brought back.

All those employees who work at, or otherwise service, the WDW DVC resorts, including those conducting front desk, bell services, maintenance, housekeeping, security, and transportation services, are employees of the DIsney Parks and Resorts company, not DVC, the associations, or DVCM, the manager of the DVC resorts. That Parks and Resorts company and DVCM have an agreement called the Property Managememt Subcontract, which you may have noticed is mentioned annually in the budget provided to members (but to actually get a copy you need to request one from DVC), under which the Disney Resorts company agrees to provide to the DVC resorts the employee services needed for the resorts, while it is also providing such services to the WDW resorts as a whole, and the association and DVCM agree to pay the fair and equitable share of the total costs of such employees that are applicable to serving the DVC resorts.

In essence, until the Disney Resorts company recalls the employees, which it will when it decides to open the hotel resorts, there will be no employees to work the WDW DVC resorts, and you cannot possibly open the DVC Resorts without any employees to service them.

Now that the unions have come up with a plan and some CMs are being called back to work at DS, it does then become a question of why would it no longer be safe to open up and staff DVC or any WDW resort,

I did inquire when this happened and that property management contract was mentioned as playing a role, so I do agree that they have a good deal of power in deciding,,,but worth questioning once we are starting to see things open up and other CMs being called back.

Disney will give us information when they have all their Mickies in a row. What good is it to send out a memo that says, "We'll be opening soon."

Disney's lawyers aren't going to let the DVC resorts stay closed if they need to be opened. There's tons of speculation out there. It's got to be a nightmare for a company as large as Disney to get everything up and running again safely with all the unknowns.

Florida would categorize DVC as a timeshare and never as a vacation rental, right? If at any point they consider it a vacation rental, there are still restrictions in place. But timeshares and resorts are ok. So confusing! There will hopefully be news soon, when we hear about Disney's proposed re-opening plan.

NBA couldn't pay enough for that.. Also it's not like the NBA players are there to go into the parks.

The NBA could definitely pay for that. They already are limiting teams and staff to 30 or 35 members. So you are talking 1,000 rooms. Even at 1,000 per night, that’s $1M a day in room. They would make at least 50 times that per day on TV revenue alone.

Also, the critical mass of 1,000 rooms not linked to parks would be a good start for their resorts.

Disney's lawyers aren't going to let the DVC resorts stay closed if they need to be opened. There's tons of speculation out there. It's got to be a nightmare for a company as large as Disney to get everything up and running again safely with all the unknowns.

The distinction I would make is that Disney doesn’t have any legal obligations to open 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, a shopping district or 25 hotels (give or take.) They DO Have a legal obligation to open their timeshare accommodations.

In my case, all of these things are simultaneously true:

- I understand that reopening is an enormous challenge
- I realize that if Disney were to prioritize its business units, the DVC resorts would not rank near the top
- I realize the complexities of Disney’s labor agreements

That said:

- Disney has certain obligations to timeshare owners that they do not have to the general public
- If they can reach an agreement on a limited return-to-work for retail and custodial employees at Disney Springs, why can’t they do the same for a subset of hotel workers?

And perhaps the most relevant point...

- Filing complaints state or local officials won’t do a bit of good because the resorts will be open before the complaints are formally addressed. At the end of the day, Disney is operating from its own timeline regardless of whether it’s “right” or not.

The distinction I would make is that Disney doesn’t have any legal obligations to open 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, a shopping district or 25 hotels (give or take.) They DO Have a legal obligation to open their timeshare accommodations.

In my case, all of these things are simultaneously true:

- I understand that reopening is an enormous challenge
- I realize that if Disney were to prioritize its business units, the DVC resorts would not rank near the top
- I realize the complexities of Disney’s labor agreements

That said:

- Disney has certain obligations to timeshare owners that they do not have to the general public
- If they can reach an agreement on a limited return-to-work for retail and custodial employees at Disney Springs, why can’t they do the same for a subset of hotel workers?

And perhaps the most relevant point...

- Filing complaints state or local officials won’t do a bit of good because the resorts will be open before the complaints are formally addressed. At the end of the day, Disney is operating from its own timeline regardless of whether it’s “right” or not.

This 100%.

All those employees who work at, or otherwise service, the WDW DVC resorts, including those conducting front desk, bell services, maintenance, housekeeping, security, and transportation services, are employees of the DIsney Parks and Resorts company, not DVC, the associations, or DVCM, the manager of the DVC resorts. That Parks and Resorts company and DVCM have an agreement called the Property Managememt Subcontract, which you may have noticed is mentioned annually in the budget provided to members (but to actually get a copy you need to formally request one in writing from DVC), under which the Disney Resorts company agrees to provide to the DVC resorts the employee services needed for the resorts, while it is also providing such services to the WDW resorts as a whole, and the association and DVCM agree to pay the fair and equitable share of the total costs of such employees that are applicable to serving the DVC resorts.

That remains a logistics issue for DVC to handle but I don't think that legally it can be a reason to not reopen. There are reasons that DVC can be shut down but they are few and while logistically not having staff makes it "difficult" it isn't legally a reason.

I agree that Disney has a legal obligation to open DVC, but when did they come to an agreement with their unions, last week? They can't snap their fingers and have all the staff show up next week. Not enough staff could be a safety issue.

I agree that Disney has a legal obligation to open DVC, but when did they come to an agreement with their unions, last week? They can't snap their fingers and have all the staff show up next week. Not enough staff could be a safety issue.
Correct it is going to take some time.

But.......if we get into July and DVC is not open while other parks and other timeshares are in Florida, then DVC will have a problem.

Why not? I understand there are some international CM's that might not make it back but all US staff should be able to make it back in, in that time frame. Also the CM's don't need training. They all know their jobs already. Maybe a one day "new" protocol meeting is in order for the CM's but that should be all.

Get the CM"s back now, start testing rides etc. and they'd be good to go by July or earlier. There have been some employees working this whole time also. We don't know for sure that no one has been at the resorts. I mean even if you just have 2 people working at a resort, they can go through and flush toilets/run water every couple of days.

I don't think Disney is that dumb to not have ANYONE in the resorts keeping them clean during this time.

We know the landscapers are still working to some degree why not resort cm's?

But, employees at VB, HHI, and Aulani would not be affected by that if there is already a union agreement. In Hawaii, they can lean on the quarantine of 14 days, but I think they would have trouble keeping at a minimum Vero or HHI closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!