The Mini-Skirt in Spaceship Earth Bothers Me

bozley0621

Mouseketeer on the edge.
1FB7BDAD-BA5C-4A6A-A425-855E4713802D.jpeg I love Spaceship Earth, but every time I pass by the mainframe computer scene, the length of the woman’s 70s era mini-skirt bothers me. She should rethink the length for a professional setting. :scratchin

(Each time I ride spaceship earth, I think of posting this, but always forget. The thought came to me today while procrastinating at work.)

I love Spaceship Earth, but every time I pass by the mainframe computer scene, the length of the woman’s 70s era mini-skirt bothers me. She should rethink the length for a professional setting. :scratchin

(Each time I ride spaceship earth, I think of posting this, but always forget. The thought came to me today while procrastinating at work.)
But it is historically accurate. We all wore mini skirts in the 70's. :)

LOL - I had actually wondered whether that was actually appropriate work attire back then! I thought I was the only one who questioned that! (I know it's very accurate for the time but since I was in grade school, I can't speak to what people wore to work - although I'd imagine that it varied depending on where you worked). But still - the outfit always jumped out at me too!

LOL - I had actually wondered whether that was actually appropriate work attire back then! I thought I was the only one who questioned that! (I know it's very accurate for the time but since I was in grade school, I can't speak to what people wore to work - although I'd imagine that it varied depending on where you worked). But still - the outfit always jumped out at me too!

It was. Back then there weren’t a lot of women in executive positions, but for the lower level jobs most women had, this was perfectly suitable. No reason to change it in the attraction when it’s accurate. Ever see pics of what stewardesses wore? lolhttps://www.google.com/search?q=bra...oECAsQAg&biw=768&bih=911#imgrc=O79u1TgIjBDgcM

I actually had some similar thoughts recently while on the ride! Not that mini skirts bother me and obviously they are accurate for the time period but would someone really have been wearing one to work, especially at a job like that? That’s what bothered me. Seems it might be inaccurate for that tripe of career?

It was. Back then there weren’t a lot of women in executive positions, but for the lower level jobs most women had, this was perfectly suitable. No reason to change it in the attraction when it’s accurate. Ever see pics of what stewardesses wore? lol

Well - we better enjoy that scene now because it's likely to be gone soon! With how long the refurbishment is scheduled for I've got to guess it's going to be a complete overhaul!

Well - we better enjoy that scene now because it's likely to be gone soon! With how long the refurbishment is scheduled for I've got to guess it's going to be a complete overhaul!

True, but I doubt they’ll rewrite history. Would look weird to have a scene out of the 60’s with the characters wearing current day fashion.

There weren't that many women in those types of jobs back then. I do remember a group of young women engineers in the late 90s at my company who dressed like that (sans the coat). They attracted a lot of attention though. It was generally not considered very professional but no one was going to tell them to stop.

I actually had some similar thoughts recently while on the ride! Not that mini skirts bother me and obviously they are accurate for the time period but would someone really have been wearing one to work, especially at a job like that? That’s what bothered me. Seems it might be inaccurate for that tripe of career?

I’m all for mini skirts and rockin’ a great outfit, but I would feel so out of place if I wore this to work. Then again, I work from home and rarely go to the office. I’m usually wearing gym clothes from my morning workout.

It never bothered me. I think it fits the time period they were going for.....and she wears it well - at least she has on tights at work, not bare legs. You rock that miniskirt, 1970s Space Ship Earth computer engineer lady.
:thumbsup2

Bwahaha - I always thought the tights were her saving-grace too.

True, but I doubt they’ll rewrite history. Would look weird to have a scene out of the 60’s with the characters wearing current day fashion.

That's assuming they keep something from the 60's at all. That whole scene was only added in the current version with Judi Dench in 2008 (?) before that it was completely different.

The other thing that bothers me is the extremely Matrix-esque overheard area just after that and the (insert random computer programmer) person. Not only is it visually like the matrix, and it's green, they also made music for that area that sounded very similar to the Matrix theme.

On the off chance that the OP was serious, no - this doesn't bother me at all. I grew up in that era and it was perfectly normal then. Its historically accurate.

Seriously bothered - no, but I do question her clothing choices. :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter