The Mini-Skirt in Spaceship Earth Bothers Me

View attachment 393991 I love Spaceship Earth, but every time I pass by the mainframe computer scene, the length of the woman’s 70s era mini-skirt bothers me. She should rethink the length for a professional setting. :scratchin

(Each time I ride spaceship earth, I think of posting this, but always forget. The thought came to me today while procrastinating at work.)
But she's very clearly wearing full leggings underneath the skirt...

So funny the generation divide. My generation thought mini skirts, hot pants, tights & boots were fine anywhere while the younger thinks that is so wrong. But they have no problem wearing their PJ bottoms, slippers & exposed bras & thongs anywhere but to the baby boomers like me that’s :scared:. :rotfl2:

It was common in the 70s to wear mini skirts. I was never overly comfortable with them and tended to wear my skirts and dresses a little longer but still above the knee. Pants were frowned upon for women back then. Today the work wardrobe can run the extreme. Before I retired, I was very surprised to see so many women walking to work in Manhattan wearing leggings. They really had no idea how revealing they looked from the back or that the tunic they were wearing was creeping up and showing off more rear real estate than they planned on.

That’s not historically inaccurate. It’s just that Disney is showing the 10%

That 10% I referenced was from the 80's, not the 60's. It was probably more like 1% or less in the 60's. And, yes, Disney could be showing the 1% but if you're trying to show something representative of the time period, you wouldn't typically show 1%, you'd show 99%. Nice that they chose to put a woman there, but it's very non-representative. For those who weren't in the working world back 30-50 years ago, especially in professions dominated by men, picking a woman for the role which just wasn't common makes it seem like that has been the norm since then and is harder to appreciate the changes we've seen since then. Of course, if they'd put a man there, people would be complaining about how Disney was shutting women out and focusing only on men's achievements. What they really need to do is to add another section that highlights more recent changes with internet and social media. The ride kind of stops 20 years too early. I'd love to see what fashion they'd pick as representative there :crazy2:

I think people felt very comfortable wearing the fashion of the day. I remember feeling odd as fashion trended away from short-shorts toward board shorts. Now I would feel really uncomfortable wearing short-shorts.

And don't even get me started with swimwear from back in the day!

My first professional job out of college in 1973 was all mini-skirts and hot pants. Slacks were only for the coldest weather and jeans were absolutely forbidden. My standard length was 18". We wore panty hose with both the skirts and the shorts.

When I interviewed for a career government job in 1977, I wore the only suit I had, one with a 20" skirt I'd bought for a funeral. Several months later, my boss told me the interview team discussed how "dowdy" I looked in my long skirt.

upload_2019-4-17_15-44-10.jpeg

This is the one that bothers me! Not a great photo, but on the ride you can clearly see the headline of CIVIL WAR OVER. Presumably, he's holding a copy of the newspaper reading the bottom fold. But, the way he's holding it, he would be reading his side upside down!

The photo in the first post is of a scene that reminds me of Lt. Uhura, the communications officer in the original Star Trek, who really did dress a lot like that at work. I admire her, and I'm glad they included her in a ride about the history of communication.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter