The Nanny’s Diary…a PTR for President’s week 2010 (Itinerary wish list posted!))

LaurinG

Earning My Ears
I’m a huge Dis-lurker…been around for a few years, but not a big poster, but I like the idea of bouncing ideas and plans off of others who understand the obsession, so I thought I would give this PTR thingy a try.

Cast..is it really a cast if it’s just 2 people?

The Duo.

web.jpg

Me, Laurin…27 years old and single. I live and work in downtown Manhattan as a professional nanny, but more about that later. I am originally from Maryland and I was on the WDWCP in 2001 as a lifeguard at the WL, but prior that that I had only been to Disney once as a kid with few memories…I just wanted the excuse to take a semester off from school! After 8 months I was hooked for life, and now I grab at any chance to go back. I also plan other people’s Disney vacations just for fun, I’m going to be a travel agent in my next life. I collect Disney Christmas stuff…and I have to buy a new Eeyore as my one souvenir from each trip.

web.jpg

Her, Megan…26 years old, single, originally from Louisiana …She’s a nanny too, in the New York Suburbs right outside the city. She has only been to Disney once, for like a day or two and has very few memories. She loves Hello Kitty (like in the unhealthy way that only an 8 year old should love Hello Kitty), anything dark and black, hates Pink and Red, refuses to like anything current or trendy, refused to see Titanic when it came out (I saw it 12 times in the theater!), wont read Harry Potter or Twilight, which is the complete opposite of me.

web.jpg

We became friends during a nanny conference, when we realized that neither one of us could pay attention for more than 2 minutes and we spent the whole conference passing notes, laughing hysterically and getting glared at by the more studious nannies! She and I have been on a couple of adventures in the last year; Atlantic City, skiing in PA, and most recently a weekend in Niagara Falls, so we know we travel well together, and she’s already knows that I’m a wee-bit controlling over anything Disney, and she’s accepted that she’s just along for the ride on this one.

web.jpg

Purpose: Not since my college program have I been to Disney without kids, so I’m excited about doing a trip based solely on what I want to do (and Megan too, kinda). I, of course, want to do all my favorites, but I also have a bunch of firsts that I want to fit in on this trip.

web.jpg

Budget: We sat down last weekend, and decided that we don’t want to spend more than $2500 each…that $2000 planned + $500 unexpected! You would think for 2 people, $4000 would be easy…but there’s A LOT I want to do, so it’s going to be tight.

web.jpg

Dates: I, of course, would love to go the middle week of December…but we both work for families that travel a lot, so we are stuck going when they go, so that means major school holidays, and since I refuse to be in Orlando in the summer, President’s Day is the least of all evils, so it’s going to be Saturday 13th – Saturday 20th, so we both have Sunday back at home to recover before going back to work.

web.jpg

Resort and Packages: I’ve already booked a standard room at the WL just so we have one ace in our pocket, but we are waiting on deals and codes, to make a final decision on resorts and packages, etc. I’m not a huge fan of the Dining Plan, so I’m really hoping for an awesome room-only deal, but we will have to wait and see.

web.jpg

Okay next time, the day-to-day plans…which is of course without any hours/schedules and TourGuideMike guidelines, so right now it’s like, on one day we will…., on another day we will….but that doesn’t hold me back!

I'm in Laurin! popcorn::

I think it's funny you two sound like you're pretty opposite... and it's like you're BFFs :)

We'll be there at the same time as you, sort of (Jan 16-22 for us) so we might see each other around!

Can't wait to read more! :surfweb:

I can't believe that there are actually people out there that don't have any intrest in Harry Potter or Twilight?!?!? :confused3 What is the world coming to?

Hi ladies! Thanks for posting!

Megan and I are definitely opposites, but I think that's why we have as much fun as we do, I'm going to have to see if I can get her on to the boards, just so she can follow along as I plan her vacation!

As far as her weirdness...It's not that she doesn't like Harry Potter or Twilight, it's that she doesn't like that they are popular!?! She's too cool to jump on the band wagon now that they are so trendy...and I also think that she just really likes how frustrated I get that she wont even try to read one of the books.

But its okay, I've got lots of friends to talk teen fiction too! She is the one that wants to go to Disney, and I love her for it!

She's actually coming into the city now, we are going to try to go kayaking on the Hudson today, depending on the thunderstorms in the forecast.

I'm excited to post my itinerary wish list later today, so check back!

It took me years to get on the Harry Potter bandwagon, but I'm officially hooked now. And I'm proud to say that I was a fan of Twilight LONG before it became popular. My best friend and I met Stephenie Meyer when she was promoting her HOST novel and got her to autograph all of our books. She's an amazing person and writer... LOVE HER.

Opposites definitely attract.... My husband and I are a good example of that. :thumbsup2

Look foward to more.

My Itinerary Wish List

The things that are new to me are Discovery Cove, Segway Tour, La Nouba, Jelly Rolls, and IofA! There are also a bunch of restaurants/rides (ToT!) that I’ve never tried either, but those are the big things. So, depending on the park hours/and nighttime entertainment schedules, and of course what TourGuideMike tells me to do, these days will be in a different order and even day and night combinations will change I’m sure, but I’m so ready to put it out there in the universe…it somehow makes it more real!

Day 1 – Arrive Early!!! Earliest flight possible…
Morning - Flight
Afternoon – Arrival/Check-in
Evening Option #1 – Studios/Fantasmic (My MOST FAVORITIEST!)
Evening Option #2 – Magic Kingdom (SpectroMagic)
Evening Option #3 - World Showcase/Illuminations
D @ Teppan Edo or Le Cellier

Day 2 – Discovery Cove
Morning – arrive by 9ish
Afternoon – leave around 5ish
Evening - Downtown Disney (Cirque de Soleil/La Nouba)
D @ House of Blues

Day 3 – Epcot
Morning - Segway Tour – World Showcase
Afternoon – Epcot Future World for TT, Soarin, MS, Nemo, SE
L @ Beaches & Cream (Beach Club)
Evening – Boardwalk (JellyRolls)
D @ Teppan Edo or Le Cellier

Day 4 - Magic Kingdom Day #1
Morning - Rope drop, Frontierland/Adventureland
L @ Crystal Palace
Afternoon – SIESTA, back my 3 for parade
Evening – SpectroMagic or one of the resort lounges

Day 5 – Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Morning – Rope Drop for TSM, ToT, RnR, BB
L @ 50s Primetime Café
Afternoon - SIESTA
Evening – Fantasmic or DTD

Day 6 –Magic Kingdom Day #2/Waterpark
Morning - Rope drop until 12, Fantasyland, Tommorrowland
Afternoon – Waterpark (1-5)
Evening – Resort Hopping
D @ Narcoossee’s or California Grill

Day 7 – Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure (leaning towards Islands!)
Morning – Park
Afternoon – Park
Evening – Citywalk (Blue Man Group?)
D @ Citywalk??

Day 8 – Animal Kingdom
Morning – Rope Drop for EE, KS, LK
L @ Yak & Yeti or Rainforest Cafe
Afternoon – Head to Airport
Evening - Flight Home – As late as possible!!!

And just for fun, here are Megan and I kayaking on the Hudson River yesterday.

web.jpg

web.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter