The *New* Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Frequently Asked Questions (FEB2004) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious and I hope you don't mind me asking. Trying to figure out how upgrades happen. Did you book with a discount code or with a rack rate? Thanks;)

Not at all. I am still half expecting it to be a mistake. We booked thru my Works Travel Club. We were getting an incredible deal on the Garden View. It made it tough to pass up the trip.

Maz:3dglasses

Tete,
Thanks for the great pics - SL did look packed in the lounge!
Don't get me started on the scones.....:cloud9: ... I've got another month to get me some!

Hi guys, just back from the 2nd floor at Conch Key! Had a great time, room was wonderful, could here the howling from Haunted Mansion, see WL in the front of our view, plus the main pool. Housekeeping awesome, staff friendly. Weather could have been nicer though. No lines in the parks despite it being Halloween. Any questions?

Hi, glad it was a nice time!!:goodvibes

Quick questions.....was there a DVD player in your room??? Did you have turndown service? If so, did you have to request it or did it just happen??

MickeyMaz, regarding concierge....it is FABULOUS. (usually, haha) Bfast, drinks, snacks, appetizers, beer, cordials, champagne, treats. Very convenient to be able to grab a soda or coffee on the way out or in. We aren't usually around during the day unless we're having a swim break, but the bfast is convenient and the appetizers and champagne are nice to have.:goodvibes Also, turndown has always been an automatic thing when we've stayed concierge - and I really like turndown service so that's a plus. There are a couple concierge CMs on duty just near the lounge to help you with anything you might need - changing or adding ADRs or any type of problems you might have. When you book a concierge room there is a preplanning dept to help secure ADRs, tours, cruises, etc. and answer any questions or requests you might make. Have a ball & enjoy! Hope it's a great time.:wizard:

Lives4Disney :)

I'm really surprised that people don't always get the turndown service at the GF. :confused3 If it's SUPPOSED to be automatic, then it OUGHT to happen without a phone call to Mousekeeping from the guest!!! Just my vent for the day...
And BTW, I too, think that the SL lounge looks very crowded!!!

Tete, thanks for the great SL pictures. It sure does look different. It brought back great memories though!

grannyminnie, we've always gotten turn down service. If you want to be proactive, just call housekeeping and request it. It's also great to let them know what is a convenient time to clean your room. We're early risers (being from the east coast) and like to have our room cleaned in the am. I am excited for you about your stay in SL!

We'll be at the CR from Nov.15-24! Triplefigs, let me know if Rees needs anything from the resort. I'll be happy to pick something up for him and ship it right away. I'm glad he's doing better. We'll ride the monorail in his honor!

Lori

Thanks, pirateofthecarolinas...I will definitely call Mousekeeping upon arrival and request turndown, specifying a time.
P.S....I'm a Carolina girl born and bred! (S.C., not N.C. tho)

Not at all. I am still half expecting it to be a mistake. We booked thru my Works Travel Club. We were getting an incredible deal on the Garden View. It made it tough to pass up the trip.

Maz:3dglasses

Thank you for the tip on how to check if you've potentially received a magical room upgrade. :wizard:

I'll start checking at 4 days out as I believe that is when the room assigners begin to "preissue" room assignments.

May I ask how long your visit is at the GF? I'm curious as those who are upgraded seem to be shorter stays of say 2 or 3 days (which may be easier to accomodate) vs. longer stays of a full week. :confused:

Again, thanks for sharing any info and look forward to a trip report upon your return from the "world". :upsidedow

tenbelow, sure hope you don't have to wait all day to get in your room...or us either, for that matter.

Grannyminnie I sure hope both of us don't have to spend all day waiting for our rooms, although Sunday is a notariously busy day for room turnover - so while special room requests may be more likely to be granted - it may take a bit longer to get into the room.

I will be happy if it is no later than 3 pm...unless it's due to a SL (with included room key) pixie dusting upgrade, then we'll wait "patiently" until 7 pm :lmao: ...:wizard:

Thank you for the tip on how to check if you've potentially received a magical room upgrade. :wizard:

I'll start checking at 4 days out as I believe that is when the room assigners begin to "preissue" room assignments.

May I ask how long your visit is at the GF? I'm curious as those who are upgraded seem to be shorter stays of say 2 or 3 days (which may be easier to accomodate) vs. longer stays of a full week. :confused:

Again, thanks for sharing any info and look forward to a trip report upon your return from the "world". :upsidedow

Our trip is one night at Scopa Towers(Pop Cent.) and 5 nights at the GF.

We got turndown service 5 of the 7 nights, I just didn't bother complaining, the housekeeper we had was awesome so that more than made up for anything. Saturday was busy (the day we arrived) and we had to wait until 3pm to get into the room but again with the amazing view it was well w:cool1:

Grannyminnie I sure hope both of us don't have to spend all day waiting for our rooms, although Sunday is a notariously busy day for room turnover - so while special room requests may be more likely to be granted - it may take a bit longer to get into the room.

I will be happy if it is no later than 3 pm...unless it's due to a SL (with included room key) pixie dusting upgrade, then we'll wait "patiently" until 7 pm :lmao: ...:wizard:
I'm willing to wait as long as I can get into the lounge....and since we're already booked into SL, I'm waiting to be "dusted" to the RPC!!:rolleyes1

I'm willing to wait as long as I can get into the lounge....and since we're already booked into SL, I'm waiting to be "dusted" to the RPC!!:rolleyes1

Here's a "win-win" dusting - grannyminnie to RPC and "us" dusted into grannyminnie's SL room. :rotfl2: :rolleyes1

Anyone who says that the GF is stuffy or not child friendly should only have to take one look at tete's pictures to know that is completely wrong! Wow, it was kid city in SL. I am so excited. We are down to 90 days for our Feb trip, which means 94 until GF RPC (doing a split stay).

Thanks for all the well wishes and PMs for Rees. He is still in the hospital recovering from surgery, and I finally figured out how to get Internet access. Although now he takes the laptop from me to play Playhouse Disney all day. :goodvibes

Tete, thanks for the great SL pictures. It sure does look different. It brought back great memories though!

grannyminnie, we've always gotten turn down service. If you want to be proactive, just call housekeeping and request it. It's also great to let them know what is a convenient time to clean your room. We're early risers (being from the east coast) and like to have our room cleaned in the am. I am excited for you about your stay in SL!

We'll be at the CR from Nov.15-24! Triplefigs, let me know if Rees needs anything from the resort. I'll be happy to pick something up for him and ship it right away. I'm glad he's doing better. We'll ride the monorail in his honor!

Lori
Thanks, Lori. I'll let you know if I need anything to help Santa out. :santa:

The GF is one resort that doesn't "pre-assign" rooms. They're taken from available inventory when you check in. I've seen upgrades given out far in advance and the guests finds out due to the updated confirmation being sent out and they also can happen right at check in as well. There's no rhyme or reason as to how it's done. I think we've seen a bit of an increase at the GF, due to the renovation and trying to keep guests in certain buildings. We'll probably see it go back down to more infrequent upgrades as soon as the renovation is complete.

In terms of turn down service that was asked about previously, it's only automatic on the club levels in the deluxe resorts. Unfortunately, Disney has taken quite a hit in their housekeeping staff and I think they continue to run understaffed. At the other deluxe resorts you do have to call and request turn down if you are staying in a standard room. The GF still will do it automatically, but it's based on staffing. If someone calls in sick, then you may be out of luck.

OK, I will call right away and request turndown. We've requested it at the YC a few stays in standard rooms and it was very inconsistant so was hoping at the GF it was just still automatically done throughout the resort.

MickeyMaz
....I thought of another "perk" of staying concierge.....your packages can be delivered directly to your room. No need to pick anything up at the gift shop. Also, if you preorder something from the florist or peggyssweetsandmore it will most likely be in your room before you. I think there are some nice little conveniences to staying concierge.

Happy planning,

Lives4Disney :)

I was thinking...I guess i focused on the negative in my post.:confused3 I really did have a great time at the GF and eventhough things were rough in the beginning-they turned out alright. When I called my wonderful TA to tell her about our upgrade she called me back a little while later and told me that she called over to GF and checked on our room and even though it wasnt ready yet, she was able to gain us access to the RPC lounge if we wanted to take a break. I wouldnt have been able to see the new lounge without her help! I was so excited because I want to meet the famous Vonnie but I didnt see her...princess-rn I would still go with a TA! He/she can look it up for you and if you have an issue like I did, they will be able to help you out! I would recommend mine-she is great! PM me and I will let you know who it is (she is a fellow disser);)
The staff was friendly and very helpful. My mousekeeping was great and now I am fully stocked with H20 products for a while-that foot cream is to die for! We received turndown every night and can you believe my DH didnt like it?!? He did like that they filled his ice bucket but didnt want them to touch the bed! :rotfl2: He is military so maybe that has something to do with it!
My kids loved both pools and the little area that squirts water up! We had fabulous meals and enjoyed the boat! I was sorry to be so negative before....I will post the pics of my room!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter