The new DVC Riviera Resort??

We picked up passengers on ME a couple of weeks ago at CBR when we left BWVs and I saw the massive Rivera. I think I would like to give it a try with my SSR points but wondering when I travel with my mom, who uses a scooter, will she be able to get on the Skyliner by rolling on with the scooter?

Almost certainly. These car styles allow for roll-in if the stations are designed correctly.

I have seen a claim that this will totally devalue BCV because of the IG traffic.

:rotfl2:
My personal opinion is that BCV has long been over priced, that it's standard view at preferred prices but obviously not everyone feels the same. If Riviera is a big enough hit it may well affect BWV & BCV prices but possibly BCV more so. I don't see Riviera being that big of a draw enough to do that but that remains to be seen.

We picked up passengers on ME a couple of weeks ago at CBR when we left BWVs and I saw the massive Rivera. I think I would like to give it a try with my SSR points but wondering when I travel with my mom, who uses a scooter, will she be able to get on the Skyliner by rolling on with the scooter?

The answer is, Yes.

Have there been any leaked plans for diagrams that give a clue to the layout of things inside the resort? I'm looking at construction photos and videos and see an odd (for DVC) circular shaped feature on the corner that faces Epcot World Showcase. Anyone else think that could be filled with a stack of grand villas?

My personal opinion is that BCV has long been over priced, that it's standard view at preferred prices but obviously not everyone feels the same. If Riviera is a big enough hit it may well affect BWV & BCV prices but possibly BCV more so. I don't see Riviera being that big of a draw enough to do that but that remains to be seen.

The argument I saw for reduced value was all around "overburdening the IG." I simply don't feel that argument, and I doubt it makes either BWV or BCV substantially easier at 7 months. Buy in cost may decrease slightly. or not, because home resort is increasingly mandatory at both.

I can't predict future value. But I can imagine that the addition of Riviera as another resort with access to Epcot IG, but with a fresh 50-year contract, could reduce demand (or at least spread it a bit thinner) for BCV and BWV.

The answer is, Yes.
I think the only question is whether or not they will take MV’s at the Rivera station. The Lift Blog folks note that the station lacks the “double turnarounds” of the end points which apparently allow simultaneous stationary and in-motion loading/unloading. I have seen video of an older Doppelmayr gondola in Europe and they were loading all folks and conveyances with the cars in motion - it is quite slow. FWIW It looks a lot easier to drive a MV into a floor level gondola than up and into a bus.

Have there been any leaked plans for diagrams that give a clue to the layout of things inside the resort? I'm looking at construction photos and videos and see an odd (for DVC) circular shaped feature on the corner that faces Epcot World Showcase. Anyone else think that could be filled with a stack of grand villas?
That was my thought as well and the restaurant on the rooftop.

The argument I saw for reduced value was all around "overburdening the IG." I simply don't feel that argument, and I doubt it makes either BWV or BCV substantially easier at 7 months. Buy in cost may decrease slightly. or not, because home resort is increasingly mandatory at both.
I can't imagine that more traffic at the IG would affect values or demand of any of the resorts in question. It'd have to be a colossal fail for that to happen IMO.

I can't predict future value. But I can imagine that the addition of Riviera as another resort with access to Epcot IG, but with a fresh 50-year contract, could reduce demand (or at least spread it a bit thinner) for BCV and BWV.

We are in this camp. We thought about adding on at BC/BW for access to Epcot, but are holding out to see how Riviera will turn out.

I apologize if this has been discussed upthread. How long would the ride from Riviera to EP take, from getting on gondola to getting off?

LAX

Around 6 minutes.

This tweet from bioreconstruct has a chart with approx. travel times on all 3 lines:
https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1044501482647834625

Here is the Twitter thread (if I am allowed to copy it here).

bioreconstruct‏ @bioreconstruct
Wikipedia article says the La Paz Mi Teleférico gondolas average 11 MPH. Based on this, here's estimated travel times in the Disney Skyliner system.

Dn7QAvTXcAAdaGD.jpg

Dn7QB0EXsAAg3u0.jpg

2:18 AM - 25 Sep 2018

5 replies8 retweets60 likes

MLCBLIGa_normal.jpeg
Tweet text

1. bioreconstruct‏ @bioreconstruct Sep 25
      It seems like Disney Skyliner will have Blue, Green, and Black lines. Based on WDW station colors seen, and similar color coding of La Paz Mi Teleférico gondola stations.

Dn8LRa6XsAAnyYu.jpg

Dn8LSEgXsAAvkhw.jpg

Dn8LSkWWsAAiMrH.jpg

Dn8LTBRX0AAPuBU.jpg

2 replies5 retweets38 likes

1. Jon D‏ @JON_D84 Sep 25
      Replying to @bioreconstruct
      What I dont get, which I am sure disney have considered is, that we have been stuck on these for a while in europe when skiing as they automatically stop if the wind picks up. What will happen in storms and windy days?

1 reply0 retweets1 like

2. bioreconstruct‏ @bioreconstruct Sep 25
      Disney Skyliner will dock and stop operating for safety, just like the Friend Ships and Ferries dock and stop operating in bad weather today.

1 reply0 retweets2 likes

3. Jon D‏ @JON_D84 Sep 25
      So will people be held in the gondolas or safely offloaded?

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

4. bioreconstruct‏ @bioreconstruct Sep 25
      Just like the boats, guests exit next stop when operation ceases for weather safety. No further guest boarding. Eventually no guests in the line.

1 reply0 retweets3 likes

5. Jon D‏ @JON_D84 Sep 25
      Thanks for clarifying, I've been wondering for a while.

0 replies0 retweets0 likes
    1. Martin smith‏ @Marnis1971 Sep 25
      The speed is correct for wdw.
    1. Jim Caserta‏ @CasertaJim Sep 25
      How does this compare to bus times?

1. Iain Hendry‏ @Canardiain Sep 25
      I believe that’s about 5 m/s, which is pretty standard for detachable gondola ropeways.

Thanks for the pictures. These are HUGE compared to the ski lift gondolas I've been on.

Imo, if you own at BWV and BCV the gondolas are of no use to me unless I want to go to Rivera or 1 of the other resorts on the line. I can walk to DHS quicker than walking to the gondolas then wait for one .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter