The nutters in CA who chained up 13 kids...

AndreaDM

<font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<
Heartbreaking. Did I hear the guy was a principal at a local school?? You just never know what lies behind closed doors.

I saw this on the news and am waiting for more details. What struck me was that they are in a neighborhood with homes so close together. I mean I know you never really know what is happening next door, but keeping 13 kids chained up? This was very disturbing for many reasons.

Yeah, he was "principal" of their homeschool. The fact that 7 of them were between the ages of 18 and 29 is beyond baffling, looking at the pics, none of them look older than 15!

I agree, the homes are very close together and for 15 people to be living in one house, you'd think someone would have been suspicious before now.

You would think at some point someone would scream for help fight to get lose and the neighbors would hear.

Seven of the children were actually adults. I know there is some kind of foster care to help minors, but I hope there is something in place to help the adults too. It seems that the parents have infantilized them and that they will be completely unprepared to make it in the world.

I don't understand all of the reports of the grandparents stating to the media that they just spoke to the parents this past weekend and nothing seemed amiss. Didn't the grandparents find it unusual that all of their grandchildren looked so small and frail and much younger than their age? Didn't the grandparents question why not one of the adult grandchildren had gone on to college, gotten a job, etc.? They seemed abreast of the fact that the parents were "called by God" to have so many children, yet turned their heads to the rest?

I hope a safety net is prepared for the kids to take care of them medically, psychologically, financially, educationally -- without a media circus around them or forcing them to be paraded in front of cameras or interviewed to earn their keep like reality TV buffoons schilling for a living.

I don't understand all of the reports of the grandparents stating to the media that they just spoke to the parents this past weekend and nothing seemed amiss. Didn't the grandparents find it unusual that all of their grandchildren looked so small and frail and much younger than their age? Didn't the grandparents question why not one of the adult grandchildren had gone on to college, gotten a job, etc.? They seemed abreast of the fact that the parents were "called by God" to have so many children, yet turned their heads to the rest?

I hope a safety net is prepared for the kids to take care of them medically, psychologically, financially, educationally -- without a media circus around them or forcing them to be paraded in front of cameras or interviewed to earn their keep like reality TV buffoons schilling for a living.

Some of this is why this story seems particularly disturbing. When I first heard and saw the headline, I envisioned the parents as some off the grid types living on hundreds of acres in the middle of no where, with no outside contact, relatives, etc.

This just gets stranger and stranger when you hear there were grandparents and they live in a suburban neighborhood with homes on top of each other, etc. If people outside the family knew they had 13 kids, seems like somewhere along the line something would have jumped out at someone...

Of course, in situations like this you like to think someone should have known something.

WOW..... just flipping WOW.....
Sickness and mental illness and evil and deception come in incredible forms and at incredible levels of depravity.

I can only hope and pray for the best for these children and young adults.

PS: this just reminds me SO much of what would be the next level of The Duggar's... on Cable.... is that the right name????

I read that neighbors thought things were off but no one said anything. We all need to look out for each other.
Such a sad story.

I can understand neighbors not having a way to understand, simply feeling something was off. Who in the heck do you report "I think something is off with the neighbors" to, particularly if you don't really know them or their family?

I do agree, it would help to all look out for one another, but I can see how easy it would be to keep neighbors from having anything to work with as far as alerting protective services or the police. That's precisely why I'm at a loss why the grandparents hadn't raised any alarms. They were in a position to be asking some questions based on a bare bones outline of the family members alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter