The Official Riviera Owners & Info Thread

Something I had been interested in is what area of pools there are per hypothetical max occupancy of the individual DVC resorts (counting the guests of the Hotel Side if one exists). There had been some statements that Riviera was smaller in the pool areas than other resorts.

View attachment 464845

My hotel room numbers might be off as it was difficult to find and lock down that number. The Approx. Hotel Guests is based on 4 people per each room (so the deluxe and suites are under counted, though 4 per room seemed reasonable). Also for the DVC guest count I used the stated max occupancy for each room to find that. As you can see Riviera is pretty much in line with everywhere else and the two outliers are PVB with significantly undersized pools (though that has been known) and VGF with significantly larger pools (though that also has been known). But all in all Riviera seems pretty in line with the pools so I suspect there isn't much to worry about in regard to the physical size of the water area (however, the deck space is a different question).

Just thought Riviera owners might be interested in where their resort falls. If there are any additional comments or I made an error let me know and I can correct the above chart.

Edit: I left out BCV just because YC/BC is such a different animal with SAB in that it really is in its own league and determining the area of SAB would be a nightmare.

Thanks for using facts and numbers to to counter more than a few who stated, as fact, that it was smaller and no way it could handle the crowds.

Something I had been interested in is what area of pools there are per hypothetical max occupancy of the individual DVC resorts (counting the guests of the Hotel Side if one exists). There had been some statements that Riviera was smaller in the pool areas than other resorts.

View attachment 464845

My hotel room numbers might be off as it was difficult to find and lock down that number. The Approx. Hotel Guests is based on 4 people per each room (so the deluxe and suites are under counted, though 4 per room seemed reasonable). Also for the DVC guest count I used the stated max occupancy for each room to find that. As you can see Riviera is pretty much in line with everywhere else and the two outliers are PVB with significantly undersized pools (though that has been known) and VGF with significantly larger pools (though that also has been known). But all in all Riviera seems pretty in line with the pools so I suspect there isn't much to worry about in regard to the physical size of the water area (however, the deck space is a different question).

Just thought Riviera owners might be interested in where their resort falls. If there are any additional comments or I made an error let me know and I can correct the above chart.

Edit: I left out BCV just because YC/BC is such a different animal with SAB in that it really is in its own league and determining the area of SAB would be a nightmare.

I have to say I was surprised to see RIV's pool is on par in regards to size with the other resorts. It has always looked small to me, but I think that is because of the odd peninsula that splits the pool in half. Its almost like there are two small pools connected by a narrow channel. I'm not sure why they designed it that way, but I'm sure they had some sort of reason.

I think the lack of theming/surroundings makes riviera pool look small.

As for lack of theming I guess most DVC pools are somewhat short on theming. RIV, SSR, OKW, and BLT pools are not exactly overflowing with theming IMHO, but they are adequate. But at least these SSR, OKW and BLT pools have a conventional shape that makes them appear to be spacious. I think the unconventional shape of RIVs pool is what makes it appear to be small when it is actually about the same size as many DVC pools. Pool theming is very much like the lobbies when it comes to DVC vs the cash hotels in WDW. DVC properties do not have overly large lobbies or pools that are on par with the cash hotels on property. The lines can become blurred as some DVC locations utilize the cash hotels lobby and pools while some have their own. This often puts the dedicated DVC locations at a perceived disadvantage when it comes to these items as the cash hotel will always have the better lobbies and pools when compared to dedicated DVC resorts.

I have to say I was surprised to see RIV's pool is on par in regards to size with the other resorts. It has always looked small to me, but I think that is because of the odd peninsula that splits the pool in half. Its almost like there are two small pools connected by a narrow channel. I'm not sure why they designed it that way, but I'm sure they had some sort of reason.
Yeah in person it felt small though the numbers in the Multi-Site POS had it similar to other resorts, so I did this exercise. I think it felt small in person, for me, since the resort is rather tall and looming over the pool with little space between the pool and resort (which in practice I did enjoy when walking around, the pool bar and QS all a hop a way is nice and enjoy it, similar to what I enjoy about CCV's main pool). I'm wanting to add on eventually when I have the cash to do so before it sells out (or through resale depending how stuff unfolds).

I personally never been behind BLT to experience that pool but I suspect I would have the same feeling there too. The CCV pools give me the same feeling also but the numbers show in reality they are similar across the board too.

They split it so there is the zero entry side. Without that peninsula there would be a drop off for the entry or it would extend further due to the slope

So I checked out today and I’m super tired but once I get home I’ll upload my pics and my personal thoughts (Which btw I’m very happy). Happy this is my home resort and I’m sure my fellow neighbors will feel the same.

the haters that I met were unhappy but unhappy they weren’t staying there lol or that they didn’t purchase before prices went up

They split it so there is the zero entry side. Without that peninsula there would be a drop off for the entry or it would extend further due to the slope

That makes sense didn’t think of that. Do you happen to know if the grading for the zero entry actually runs the entire length of the peninsula?

I also think it would be easier from the perspective of the life guards to over see the pool as the lifeguard on the peninsula is within reach of most of the pool and would not have to cover much water to make a rescue.

Last edited:

That makes sense didn’t think of that. Do you happen to know if the grading for the zero entry actually runs the entire length of the peninsula?

I also think it would be easier from the perspective of the life guards to over see the pool as the lifeguard on the peninsula is within reach of most of the pool and would not have to cover much water to make a rescue.
I'm pretty sure it does run the entire length that way it's not too steep but I will have to test it out for myself in a few months

Does this picture help? The zero entry section runs the whole width of that peninula, not steep at all. Comparable to the zero entry at the VGF feature pool.

Attachments

• IMG_6955.jpg
    IMG_6955.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 109
Wow nice picture. Quick question about the pools. To those that have been there, did you notice if they supply swim noodles? It seems to vary from resort to resort. I need a swim noodle to float around. Don’t want to buy one at Winn Dixie if I don’t have to.

Okay, I know that people in this thread will understand my excitement! I was just able to change my one night at RIV in March to three nights!

I had to change to a 1 bedroom PV, and it cost a lot of points, but I am over the moon excited, I am even staying my first night at AKV..unless a waitlist or stalking gets me my first night at on of the MK resorts...but I don’t get until 9 pm, so I can deal,

Woohoo!!!!

Okay, I know that people in this thread will understand my excitement! I was just able to change my one night at RIV in March to three nights!

I had to change to a 1 bedroom PV, and it cost a lot of points, but I am over the moon excited, I am even staying my first night at AKV..unless a waitlist or stalking gets me my first night at on of the MK resorts...but I don’t get until 9 pm, so I can deal,

Woohoo!!!!
Oh I know ur happy !

Woohoo!!!!
Congrats! I put a waitlist in for two nights in May for a tower to help with us flying in before a cruise and flying out the day after we disembark. Fingers crossed for us both

Thanks @kboo . Another quick question. I thought I read something about outdoor grills. Couldn’t find it so called. I was told the grills were removed due to safety concerns. Anyone there now that can confirm? Was looking forward to nice gas grills.

Congrats @Sandisw ! Exciting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!