***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

Any advice for traveling with a toddler at Kidani? He's too big for a pack & play, but is still in a crib at home. Do full size cribs exist? Also, any advice on diaper trash? Is there a way to take out our own trash daily?
I do believe they have cribs by request and there is a roll of garbage bags in each can. Tie the diaper up and take it to the designated trash room.

Any advice for traveling with a toddler at Kidani? He's too big for a pack & play, but is still in a crib at home. Do full size cribs exist? Also, any advice on diaper trash? Is there a way to take out our own trash daily?
We use the plastic bags from the grocery stores to wrap up diapers. It's a great way to reuse them.

We were just there and I didn't see a designated trash room? Where are they?
On our recent stay at Kidani, we happened to be a few doors away from one of the trash rooms. There was a sign on the door (it just said "Trash Room") but I don't recall seeing any hallway signs pointing the way so if not for the fact that we walked past it on the way to the elevator, I'm not sure I would have know where it was. Given the long hallways, I hope there is more than one per floor!

Housekeeping has bed rails. Just call from your room phone and they'll bring them up.
I never liked bed rails though as my son would roll right over those at home. Best bet for me was an air mattress, that way if he rolled off he wasn't falling far.

Trash rooms are dispersed throughout the resort. Just ask the front desk where your nearest one is located, or housekeeping can tell you when they bring the bed rails up. I believe they're near each set of elevators, but don't quote me on that... it's been 3 years since we stayed in Kidani (dry spell to be broken this year :) )

Last edited:

Not that you would want to here this we just walked all the Dirty diapers to the trash room. We would keep a bag for the number 1s but all number 2s went straight to the trash room.

Not that you would want to here this we just walked all the Dirty diapers to the trash room. We would keep a bag for the number 1s but all number 2s went straight to the trash room.

We usually carry smaller baggies to tie up the dirty stuff, just wanted to make sure there was a trash room for us to take them out ourselves. Thanks all!

You would think they would put a map in the room with the location of the trash and laundry room locations. Maybe I missed it, but I'm sure housekeeping would have appreciated it.

I am a new DVC owner and planning my 2018 trip to AKL. Advice on choosing a Value Studio at the end of March or a Concierge Studio at the end of April? Is Concierge worth the extra points? Weather/Parks in March vs April? It will just be myself and my 4 year old and we will be spending about half of our week at the resort :-)

I am a new DVC owner and planning my 2018 trip to AKL. Advice on choosing a Value Studio at the end of March or a Concierge Studio at the end of April? Is Concierge worth the extra points? Weather/Parks in March vs April? It will just be myself and my 4 year old and we will be spending about half of our week at the resort :-)

I just tried to get a 2 BR value in April, and had no luck, the Concierge 2BR was available but we didn't have enough points. We haven't stayed in a Concierge room so I don't know if it is worth the extra points.

About March or April. Whichever is farther away from easter is better, less crowded. The week immediately before and after are super crowded. It is spring break season too.

About March or April. Whichever is farther away from easter is better, less crowded. The week immediately before and after are super crowded. It is spring break season too.

Also, if you have a DVC-discounted "Gold" Annual Pass, the week before and the week after Easter are blocked out for park entry.

Here are the stats on AKV from the Resource Center that is located at the top of the threads on all the DVC boards:

"AKV - 46 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR villas - 140 Dedicated 2BR villas - 250 Lockoffs - 22 GVs. 134 villas within Jambo House at AKL (46 Dedicated Studios, 82 Lockoff 2BRs, 6 GVs) and 324 villas in Kidani Village (140 Dedicated 2BRs, 168 Lockoff 2BRs, 16 GVs) for a total of 458 Villas / 708 Max. Available"

Jambo rooms are all lock-offs as you see and all on the 5th floor.

Kidani has both dedicated and lock-off 2BRs. Technically the lowest floor there is the second floor as the "underground" parking is actually ground level.
Thanks- Good to have an idea of how many room types there are overall. I have no idea how I made the error but last Sunday booked a 2 bdrm at Kidani thinking it was a Dedicated. Somehow, I ended up with a lock-off. I clearly recall the RAT showing Standard 2bdrm, did not see anything about lock-off. Well, during call to MS, found out it was indeed a lock-off. Crossed fingers for WL to come thru...

We just tried concierge. Have you ever done a lounge in a non disney resort? We like them for the convenience of breakfast in the morning and drinks all day. The AKL lodge has quite a spread. Even little pbj sandwiches for your little one. They have a cordial and dessert time between 8:00 and 10pm that might be nice for you at the end of the day. And, you also get daily housekeeping and nightly turn down service. But, it's only on the Jambo side. And, if you are going for the animals, the views are not great!

We love AKL and are considering booking Kidani again but I have a random concern. The Bees! I've been stung twice there and my oldest is terrified of them. We love the splash area at Kidani, but it becomes not enjoyable when the bees become the focus. Is it just us that have this concern?

We got bit-up by something in early May, that caused my mother to have some good welts on her. We weren't sure if they were bugs (no-seems/gnats) or bees. My mother thought that she got bit at the playground at Jambo. We got a lot of bits out on the balcony as well. I not if insect spray will help.

We love AKL and are considering booking Kidani again but I have a random concern. The Bees! I've been stung twice there and my oldest is terrified of them. We love the splash area at Kidani, but it becomes not enjoyable when the bees become the focus. Is it just us that have this concern?

That's a hard one as I think you could run into bees anywhere. Myself, I believe in and have always followed the rule of don't bother them and they won't bother you. They may come looking around but that's it. DH however fixates on them and can't think of much else - not allergic or anything but he's that way with flies and bees. I really don't have much to suggest other than if there are bees around your balcony I believe they will spray if you call. For the pool area I'm not certain though.

Oddly enough DH is the one that always comes back with bug bites from WDW too and never knows where he gets them. Me - nothing. I am one with the bugs. :hippie: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts