***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

Hoping to be new owner at AKV, hope to be staying there August 2019 before our Disney Cruise, I'm well prepared and well seasoned on DCL, but a fish out of water at WDW. I have 2 teens, so, staying at AKV, do folks hit the park in the morning, come back afternoon siesta, then dinner/fireworks in the evening? what is best use and most relaxing of time.... we will have 3 days in the parks, possibly 4 before we set sail. Thanks

Hoping to be new owner at AKV, hope to be staying there August 2019 before our Disney Cruise, I'm well prepared and well seasoned on DCL, but a fish out of water at WDW. I have 2 teens, so, staying at AKV, do folks hit the park in the morning, come back afternoon siesta, then dinner/fireworks in the evening? what is best use and most relaxing of time.... we will have 3 days in the parks, possibly 4 before we set sail. Thanks
Everyone is different in how they tour. We do like to do as you said, rope drop, mid-afternoon break, then dinner and hit another park for the evening. Others like to sleep in, go for breakfast, hit parks starting in the afternoon and stay until close. Others do the parks open to close especially if they do not go often or are on a shorter trip.

Everyone is different in how they tour. We do like to do as you said, rope drop, mid-afternoon break, then dinner and hit another park for the evening. Others like to sleep in, go for breakfast, hit parks starting in the afternoon and stay until close. Others do the parks open to close especially if they do not go often or are on a shorter trip.
Thank you!

I think it depends on how long the days are. In the winter when AK and HS close at 8, we go from rope drop to closing, especially if we are not there for a long trip. On days where the park is open late until 11 or 12, we normally take a break. It really takes about 3 hours for a break by the time you get back to your hotel, rest, and go back to the park. We usually rope-drop because you can do so many rides then, especially during EMM, but occasionally when the night before is late we will sleep in. We normally catch up on our rest during the cruise.

I think it depends on how long the days are. In the winter when AK and HS close at 8, we go from rope drop to closing, especially if we are not there for a long trip. On days where the park is open late until 11 or 12, we normally take a break. It really takes about 3 hours for a break by the time you get back to your hotel, rest, and go back to the park. We usually rope-drop because you can do so many rides then, especially during EMM, but occasionally when the night before is late we will sleep in. We normally catch up on our rest during the cruise.
Thanks.....

It was Kidani, the middle of the night (1am - ish) when I had finally had enough and made the 1/2 mile walk to the desk (should have driven, but the garage is spooky at night that far down the loop). They also sent a housekeeper to the room with another handful of earplugs so I have enough for a fortnight :D

That reminds me of checking into a hotel and getting up to the room to discover a package of ear plugs on the night stand. Freeway side in Sacramento. :eek:
The park/fly SFO hotel I stayed at 2 weeks ago had earplugs on the nightstand - but I’d read about them on trip advisor, so wasn’t surprised. I figured I booked that hotel to be close to the airport, thus I should expect to hear the sound of planes landing/taking off.

We do exactly as you said for our August trips. It's just too hot mid day. Latelyafter the first couple of days the teens don't get up for Rope drop and sleep in do the pool then go out at dinner time and enjoy the parks at night. It is super hot mid day, the cooling towels are a must for an August trip. The cruise sounds nice. Enjoy!!

We do exactly as you said for our August trips. It's just too hot mid day. Latelyafter the first couple of days the teens don't get up for Rope drop and sleep in do the pool then go out at dinner time and enjoy the parks at night. It is super hot mid day, the cooling towels are a must for an August trip. The cruise sounds nice. Enjoy!!
thanks for the input..

Good Morning! So, my AKV offer just went in for ROFR, ideally/typically, what has been your experience - not just ROFR, but then closing, Estoppel, membership info in hand, etc.... how long? My concern is 150 points will expire 31 Jan so trying to figure out if we will close by then, or if I will have a week to figure out how to quickly rent/transfer them, call disney member services and beg for pixie dust... thoughts? advice? Thanks

thanks for the info.. besides the fun fact of just being there for rope drop, any other benefits to being there that early?

Good Morning! So, my AKV offer just went in for ROFR, ideally/typically, what has been your experience - not just ROFR, but then closing, Estoppel, membership info in hand, etc.... how long? My concern is 150 points will expire 31 Jan so trying to figure out if we will close by then, or if I will have a week to figure out how to quickly rent/transfer them, call disney member services and beg for pixie dust... thoughts? advice? Thanks

If you take a quick look at the Closing Time thread you will get a good idea as to current timelines. Average seems to be about 60 days from accepted offer to points in your account. Some are a couple of weeks longer, some a bit shorter.

thanks for the info.. besides the fun fact of just being there for rope drop, any other benefits to being there that early?
It is cooler in the mornings and the parks aren’t as busy. You can do quite a few rides, especially from 8 to 10 (depends on what time the parks open and if here is EMM for resort guests).

Your ROFR should take 2 to 4 weeks. If they are not interested in it, they might kick it back by 2 weeks. If it fits the profile of contracts and properties they might be interested in, then it will probably be closer to the 4 week window. Estoppel usually comes through 3 to 7 days after that, and closing usually happens by about the 45 to 60 day mark. Keep bugging your broker as you get closer to these windows, otherwise I have often found that they wait for the Estoppel letter, and then take another day or two before they contact you. Make yourself (politely) known to them and ask them frequently for updates. So, you have a pretty good chance that IF it survives ROFR, you will probably get the sale completed before the end of January.

HOWEVER, there is almost nothing left to rent before the end of January. Really. Nothing. Studios are available with a very few isolated days at a few resorts and most of the resorts have no studios available for a single day, in the entire month. One Bedroom and 2 Bedroom units have SLIGHTLY better availability, but when there is some, it is usually for not more than 3 days at a time, and usually mid-week.

The only exception to this is Saratoga Springs which also has very limited studios, though a few more than other resorts, and which currently has quite good availability of 1 and 2 bedroom units, in the last half of January. Whether even that will still be there by the time you get your contract, is fairly doubtful.

So, have these points that expire at the end of January been banked or borrowed? If so, then you will have a very hard time using them, but hope for SSR.

If they HAVEN'T been banked or borrowed, then I would immediately call member services and ask/beg them to give you a ONE TIME EXEMPTION and allow you to bank these points, even though it is way past the banking deadline, for the reason that YOU JUST GOT THE CONTRACT, so you couldn't bank them before now. They might actually have a reasonable chance of granting that.

The other option at that time (again, if they weren't previously banked or borrowed) would be to put out an advertisement on one of the DVC boards, listing them for TRANSFER. I have HEARD that transferred points can be banked right up to the expiration date, though I can't say that I have any experience with that and am only going on what people say.

There might also be one other option, if you are willing to go to Disneyland and stay in the Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian, and that is that you might be able to use the points to book a stay there, in the regular hotel units (NOT the DVC units which have LONG been booked up). Usually, when you use points to stay in a Disney hotel through the "Disney Collection" the rule of 4 applies. This means that you MUST book your vacation BEFORE the last 4 months of your use year, in order to use the points to stay at a Disney hotel. HOWEVER, the Rule of 4 does not apply to the Disneyland hotels in California, or the Disneyland hotels in Paris, Tokyo, etc. I can tell you that the Grand Californian is a wonderful resort. My second favorite Disney resort, overall, but it is very expensive in points. The Disneyland Hotel is also nice, and I have stayed in the Paradise Pier hotel and I was happy with it, too.

Last edited:
See this thread - where some one had soon to expire points recently https://www.disboards.com/threads/ton-of-pts-expiring-this-month-options.3717035/ for additional advise on what to do w/ expiring points.
I don't know the ins and outs, but I think your best option (and perhaps only realistic option) will be to transfer them into RCI, which is the exchange system available w/ DVC.
That'll give you time to plan a vacation elsewhere with those points.
Good luck on ROFR - my first contract was at AKV and it had expiring points which we didn't close in time to save - alas :( I still think of them as my 'lost points' :)

It is cooler in the mornings and the parks aren’t as busy. You can do quite a few rides, especially from 8 to 10 (depends on what time the parks open and if here is EMM for resort guests).
Good to know, thank you.. we have been on Disney cruises, but haven't been back to the parks since 2009, overdue I think....

Your ROFR should take 2 to 4 weeks. If they are not interested in it, they might kick it back by 2 weeks. If it fits the profile of contracts and properties they might be interested in, then it will probably be closer to the 4 week window. Estoppel usually comes through 3 to 7 days after that, and closing usually happens by about the 45 to 60 day mark. Keep bugging your broker as you get closer to these windows, otherwise I have often found that they wait for the Estoppel letter, and then take another day or two before they contact you. Make yourself (politely) known to them and ask them frequently for updates. So, you have a pretty good chance that IF it survives ROFR, you will probably get the sale completed before the end of January.

HOWEVER, there is almost nothing left to rent before the end of January. Really. Nothing. Studios are available with a very few isolated days at a few resorts and most of the resorts have no studios available for a single day, in the entire month. One Bedroom and 2 Bedroom units have SLIGHTLY better availability, but when there is some, it is usually for not more than 3 days at a time, and usually mid-week.

The only exception to this is Saratoga Springs which also has very limited studios, though a few more than other resorts, and which currently has quite good availability of 1 and 2 bedroom units, in the last half of January. Whether even that will still be there by the time you get your contract, is fairly doubtful.

So, have these points that expire at the end of January been banked or borrowed? If so, then you will have a very hard time using them, but hope for SSR.

If they HAVEN'T been banked or borrowed, then I would immediately call member services and ask/beg them to give you a ONE TIME EXEMPTION and allow you to bank these points, even though it is way past the banking deadline, for the reason that YOU JUST GOT THE CONTRACT, so you couldn't bank them before now. They might actually have a reasonable chance of granting that.

The other option at that time (again, if they weren't previously banked or borrowed) would be to put out an advertisement on one of the DVC boards, listing them for TRANSFER. I have HEARD that transferred points can be banked right up to the expiration date, though I can't say that I have any experience with that and am only going on what people say.

There might also be one other option, if you are willing to go to Disneyland and stay in the Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian, and that is that you might be able to use the points to book a stay there, in the regular hotel units (NOT the DVC units which have LONG been booked up). Usually, when you use points to stay in a Disney hotel through the "Disney Collection" the rule of 4 applies. This means that you MUST book your vacation BEFORE the last 4 months of your use year, in order to use the points to stay at a Disney hotel. HOWEVER, the Rule of 4 does not apply to the Disneyland hotels in California, or the Disneyland hotels in Paris, Tokyo, etc. I can tell you that the Grand Californian is a wonderful resort. My second favorite Disney resort, overall, but it is very expensive in points. The Disneyland Hotel is also nice, and I have stayed in the Paradise Pier hotel and I was happy with it, too.
thank you for all of this info.. I will have to read and re-read to absorb it all.. very helpful thanks.... any experience on the renting side? think SSR would have options for that, if I get these points last minute? My understanding is they have been banked once already, so I think I'm in a use or lose situation

2 weeks till I stay at AKV for my first time as a DVC owner :) Dec 11th at Jambo, just a standard view as this was last minute addition when we decided to fly. Then 12th-17th at Kidani in a 1 bedroom with Savanna View :)

I've stayed at AKL 3 times already, but I've never been this excited. First stay as a DVC owner and my girlfriend and I's first vacation together. She also happens to be a DVC owner at the Grand and huge Disney fan.

Now to hope I dont get put near the painters....

Just back from a great stay in a two-bedroom at Jambo. I was surprised the tree wasn't up yet when I arrived on the 20th, but all the decorations went up overnight and were there when I woke up the next day. We had standard view room number 5228-5230 with a great view of the savannah including a watering hole which attracted a lot of animals. It was hardly 'standard' - saw more animals than I've seen in other savannah view rooms.

Bus service was great but stopping at Kidani first on the way back was annoying after a while. With ECV's, as there tends to be, it adds a good 5-10 minutes to the trip. After a long day in the parks I just want to get back to the room- looking forward to my first stay at Kidani in April and being dropped off first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter