*** The Official December 2019 thread ***

Any tips for Christmas week family of six! Ages 11,10,5, and 2. 22-27 wont be doing Christmas party. I’m not sure what two days to do MK and then one day at HS another another day at Epcot any tips?
I chose to do MK on 24th and 26th and then AK on 25th. My heart told me to try MK on 25th but my brain objected. HS is difficult because of the tiering and who knows whether they will have EEMH or earlier opening after RofR. I checked FastPass availability on the Dibb site, so knew what to select first.
I am hoping to tour the resorts in the afternoons to see the trees and the gingerbread houses. I have booked a selection of restaurants using a mix of MDE and Open Table so that W have sit down options if it all becomes too hectic.
What a fantastic thing to plan for your family. They must be so excited.

I chose to do MK on 24th and 26th and then AK on 25th. My heart told me to try MK on 25th but my brain objected. HS is difficult because of the tiering and who knows whether they will have EEMH or earlier opening after RofR. I checked FastPass availability on the Dibb site, so knew what to select first.
I am hoping to tour the resorts in the afternoons to see the trees and the gingerbread houses. I have booked a selection of restaurants using a mix of MDE and Open Table so that W have sit down options if it all becomes too hectic.
What a fantastic thing to plan for your family. They must be so excited.
Are you going this year or you gone before for Christmas? I need to make my mind up I have a few days left to book FP! Thanks for advice :)

Joining late, but we're going 12/1 to 12/6, staying in Beach Club. We got totally shut out of Slinky on Fastpass day! I even tried for a party of 2, but still no dice. We also couldn't get an ADR at Storybook Dining, but for that it's a party of 8, so I am pessimistic one will open up. My only hope is that the Space restaurant opens up and people drop Storybook Dining to get that instead!

For people going the same week, what are your thoughts on MK crowds? There is a party Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, as well as a special event on Monday. My guess is that MK will be swamped on Wednesday and Monday will be a dream, but I'm worried the strategy of going to MK on Party/Event days is catching on!

Joining late, but we're going 12/1 to 12/6, staying in Beach Club. We got totally shut out of Slinky on Fastpass day! I even tried for a party of 2, but still no dice. We also couldn't get an ADR at Storybook Dining, but for that it's a party of 8, so I am pessimistic one will open up. My only hope is that the Space restaurant opens up and people drop Storybook Dining to get that instead!

For people going the same week, what are your thoughts on MK crowds? There is a party Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, as well as a special event on Monday. My guess is that MK will be swamped on Wednesday and Monday will be a dream, but I'm worried the strategy of going to MK on Party/Event days is catching on!

I think the 5th is the day to go to MK. I just have this feeling about it. That was my original plan, but we've decided to brave HS that day instead. The 4th will be a madhouse.

We are planning on Epcot on the 5th, but your prediction makes sense and I am tempted to switch to MK that day. No one in my family cares about Star Wars so we are avoiding the RoR crowds. Epcot has Extra Magic Hours in the morning and we were thinking of rope-dropping Elsa meet & greet.

Joining this thread late, going 22/11 to 14/12 staying pofq, okw, hrh, and ss. First time during the holidays for us

This was probably already talked about. Question, do people try and decorate for Christmas when there? Thinking of getting a small fake Christmas tree

Last edited:
We are planning on Epcot on the 5th, but your prediction makes sense and I am tempted to switch to MK that day. No one in my family cares about Star Wars so we are avoiding the RoR crowds. Epcot has Extra Magic Hours in the morning and we were thinking of rope-dropping Elsa meet & greet.

Don't switch because of me, I could be way off 🤔🙂. I wasn't going to risk the opening crowds at HS with my DD, who will be 15 months, but the RotR teasers blew me away. I'm assuming a 6am opening, so my dad is going to meet us there later in the morning with DD.

I couldnt get Storybook either....and i was online 180 days out!

This was probably already talked about. Question, do people try and decorate for Christmas when there? Thinking of getting a small fake Christmas tree
We do! For Dec trips I usually order a 3' tree and have it delivered to our resort. I bring ornaments from home. Last year I actually brought a 2'tree from home. I did bring that home with us but the first year I left it for the family that got our room after us.

I’ve been on alerts and checking 20 times daily lol with no luck

I’m doing the same at the moment - not for Storybook - but for California Grill brunch. Have been checking multiple time’s daily since our 180 back in June and have alerts set up for me and my husband. Can get frustrating but it’s my own fault for deciding I wanted it after our 180+10 had passed!

So my daughter and I (both adults) are visiting from 17 to 26 December and at the moment I have not bought an airline baggage allowance so only carry ons. What would you pack? I am guessing lots of layers. I have never visited at this time of year so I would love to hear your thoughts.

Fantastic!! You are going to be jammed in at Christmas so get a lot done between the 17th and the 23rd! :). That said, I ALWAYS go with only carry-ons - it's absolutely doable. Just be sure to carry your outerwear - you can load yourselves up with hoodies and jackets so you don't have to put them in your "luggage". Put hats and gloves in the pockets or sleeves. Wear your warmest heaviest shoes on the plane and pack an extra pair of lighter weight walking shoes. Bring a few long sleeved shirts, a few short sleeved t's and the aforementioned hoodie and jacket and you'll be absolutely fine. I've been at the MVMCP in December when I wore gloves, hat, winter coat and scarf, and I've been there when it's hot and humid - so you are absolutely right to pack a variety of clothing, but that doesn't mean you need to pack a lot. Your "personal item" on the plane is best a backpack that can double as your park bag. On days you'll be in the park when the temperature will vary from hot in the afternoon to frigid at night, you can have your outerwear stashed in the backpack. I always even stuff in a lightweight fleece blanket to spread on the cold sidewalk for the night parade - and everything fits. Traveling light feels great. Also, a tip: This might not be "legal" literally, but whenever I've flown to Orlando on an "economy plus" ticket, I've never been turned away or charged anything for bringing a huge Disney shopping bag full of whatever goodies I purchased during the trip, in addition to the carry-on and personal item I arrived with. Just sayin'. :). I'm also doing a mom/daughter trip in December (we leave the 14th) with my adult daughter - it's the BEST. Have a fabulous trip!

Where are you staying? I would absolutely do this if staying more than a week, say. When we stayed at the All Stars (don't remember which one) in December, I brought those gel decal sticker thingies that are easy to stick on and come right off and are really cute and bright - and we decorated the whole giant window of our room. They come in just about any form and are easy to pack and then bring home and reuse - Made it festive and also easy to find our room when returning to the resort!

Random thoughts in reply to a variety of posts, lol:

Decorations - We are bringing our stockings. I'm going to hang them off a shelf or the kitchen counter. Easy and light to pack. I'll get some things to fill them with once we're down there (candy, socks, pin, gift card). Everyone will get these Christmas morning since the trip itself is our gift and so only these presents. Sidebar -- since we'll be away from home from 12/17-12/28, I'm minimalizing the home décor this year. I waffle between feeling sad about not having all of our beautiful decorations out and feeling totally liberated that I won't have all that extra work!

Packing - We are bringing a van but are still restricting everyone to one small-to-medium suitcase and a bag for inside the car. That much plus the actual people will fill the van as it is! We will be able to do laundry if needed (I'm hoping not). We often travel in the summer when we sweat through everything and change clothes a couple of times a day, so not having that level of heat in December will be fantastic and hopefully allow us to pack less.

PastPasses - Booked them this morning! Remarkably glitch-free, which was fantastic. The only glitches were user error (I kept forgetting which combination of us were going into the parks on which days), even though I had everything laid out in excruciating detail in a spreadsheet. In the end I got it straight. Only things I couldn't get were Primeval Whirl in AK (apparently will be closed for reno; I didn't realize) and SDMT for days 1 or 2 of our trip (got it later in the week). I hope everyone else booking FP this week (planning for Christmas week) is able to get what they want!!

Dessert Parties - I feel like it used to be that the dessert party was the main draw and the bonus was that you got to see the fireworks from a reserved spot. Now that the cost is seemingly way beyond the value of what most people could possibly eat/drink, I feel like it has flipped to where the main draw is the reserved viewing and the bonus is the treats/drinks. For many people the value is there, and that's great that they have this option. For my family, paying for this on top of party ticket for six adults is too much, especially at a party where there are cookies/drinks/snacks already included at various stations around the park.

Decorations - We are bringing our stockings. I'm going to hang them off a shelf or the kitchen counter. Easy and light to pack. I'll get some things to fill them with once we're down there (candy, socks, pin, gift card). Everyone will get these Christmas morning since the trip itself is our gift and so only these presents. Sidebar -- since we'll be away from home from 12/17-12/28, I'm minimalizing the home décor this year. I waffle between feeling sad about not having all of our beautiful decorations out and feeling totally liberated that I won't have all that extra work!

Packing - We are bringing a van but are still restricting everyone to one small-to-medium suitcase and a bag for inside the car. That much plus the actual people will fill the van as it is! We will be able to do laundry if needed (I'm hoping not). We often travel in the summer when we sweat through everything and change clothes a couple of times a day, so not having that level of heat in December will be fantastic and hopefully allow us to pack less.

PastPasses - Booked them this morning! Remarkably glitch-free, which was fantastic. The only glitches were user error (I kept forgetting which combination of us were going into the parks on which days), even though I had everything laid out in excruciating detail in a spreadsheet. In the end I got it straight. Only things I couldn't get were Primeval Whirl in AK (apparently will be closed for reno; I didn't realize) and SDMT for days 1 or 2 of our trip (got it later in the week). I hope everyone else booking FP this week (planning for Christmas week) is able to get what they want!!

Dessert Parties - I feel like it used to be that the dessert party was the main draw and the bonus was that you got to see the fireworks from a reserved spot. Now that the cost is seemingly way beyond the value of what most people could possibly eat/drink, I feel like it has flipped to where the main draw is the reserved viewing and the bonus is the treats/drinks. For many people the value is there, and that's great that they have this option. For my family, paying for this on top of party ticket for six adults is too much, especially at a party where there are cookies/drinks/snacks already included at various stations around the park.
This is negative and I hate to post it. You’re correct, I have little to no interest in the sweets at the party. I’m booking the Dessert Party because many guests can not be considerate to others. At the Dessert Party if a man steps in front of me and hoists his small child onto his shoulders. I can just step to the left or the right. If a guest standing in front of me sticks thier phone or camera up into the center of my view - (which looks just like a flash light in the middle of the show to the people behind you!) I’ll just scoot in front of them. I don’t want to have a fight or argument with another guest on my vacation. I just want us all to enjoy the show.
Put your child on your hip! If you must relive the show via video - there are two terrific options that don’t make you an ignoramus: 1. Stand with your back to a wall 2. Watch one of the excellent professionally produced videos available on you tube. If people would - we could all watch the show together as included in our ticket. Right now, it’s just not.
If you do these things to me you’ll ruin my day. Trust me, if you do this to me I’ll ruin yours......

My fast pass day was today (going 12/19-26) and I had absolutely no issues or glitches. I was able to get FOP on 60 + 3 at 12:55, which fit perfectly with my plans. SDD was even available on my 60 + 2 with times beginning around 5:00 (I didn’t select it as I don’t want to tie my fast passes up that long—crossing fingers for increased morning hours and more fp availability). Also no problem with SDMT on 60 + 5, although no availability on my 60 + 1 (which I expected). Every other attraction was wide open with times available all day.

Now just waiting on Christmas week hour updates...

I completely agree about the dessert events. So expensive for what they are.

My fast pass day was today (going 12/19-26) and I had absolutely no issues or glitches. I was able to get FOP on 60 + 3 at 12:55, which fit perfectly with my plans. SDD was even available on my 60 + 2 with times beginning around 5:00 (I didn’t select it as I don’t want to tie my fast passes up that long—crossing fingers for increased morning hours and more fp availability). Also no problem with SDMT on 60 + 5, although no availability on my 60 + 1 (which I expected). Every other attraction was wide open with times available all day.

Now just waiting on Christmas week hour updates...

My fast pass day was today as well and I also had no problems getting everything we wanted! Now I'm just wondering what will happen when I try to move things around once early hours are announced...what will be left ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter