The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

Thank you all!!!!

Simply because we won't have a car in Quebec and thought if we already had it with us in our carry on it would be easier but I will check with the group and see what beer they like. I usually drink white or rose and never spend more than about $12 US for a bottle. I am one of those who can be happy with a cheaper bottle of wine LOL

MJ

There is a "SAQ" (This is how they call our wine stores in Quebec) on St-Jean street near the Old Quebec. If you go to the SAQ, in the "Petit Prix" section, you can find good yet very affordable bottles of wine between 8 and 12$CAD! :)

There could be one near your hotel too. Let me know if you need my help to find a SAQ store.

Oh and if you like Cider, there's this little shop in the Quartier Petit Champlain which sells ciders (Cidrerie Verger Pedneault). :D

Guys, I just realized something: Plastic bags are now "forbidden" in Quebec. Some boutiques sell reusable bags but they can go from 20 cents to 3$ depending on where you shop.

I would recommend to bring a few reusable bags if you want to save a little money here and there.

Guys, I just realized something: Plastic bags are now "forbidden" in Quebec. Some boutiques sell reusable bags but they can go from 20 cents to 3$ depending on where you shop.

I would recommend to bring a few reusable bags if you want to save a little money here and there.

This is VERY helpful! Oh and I think we are either staying at the Delta Marriott or the Hotel Chateau Laurier Québec. I am holding reservations at both. Still not sure which we will stay at.

MJ

This is VERY helpful! Oh and I think we are either staying at the Delta Marriott or the Hotel Chateau Laurier Québec. I am holding reservations at both. Still not sure which we will stay at.

MJ

They are pretty much at equal distance from the Old Quebec.

The Delta has a modern feel and has a convention center.

The Château Laurier was recently updated but they managed to somehow keep its character. And there's a St-Hub/St-Hubert (great chicken rotisserie chain) in it. And the location is great. Love the architecture of the buildings surrounding it.

If that was me, out of the two, I would probably pick Chateau Laurier. :)

They are pretty much at equal distance from the Old Quebec.

The Delta has a modern feel and has a convention center.

The Château Laurier was recently updated but they managed to somehow keep its character. And there's a St-Hub/St-Hubert (great chicken rotisserie chain) in it. And the location is great. Love the architecture of the buildings surrounding it.

If that was me, out of the two, I would probably pick Chateau Laurier. :)

Thank you!! Chateau Laurier definitely has a more European Flair from the pics and it comes out a bit cheaper too. Our plan was to drop our Budget rental off night before cruise and walk back to the Delta Marriott (looks to be about a block or so away) and take a cab to the port but I guess we could take a cab over to the Chateau Laurier after dropping off car and still cab to the Port next morning.

MJ

Thank you!! Chateau Laurier definitely has a more European Flair from the pics and it comes out a bit cheaper too. Our plan was to drop our Budget rental off night before cruise and walk back to the Delta Marriott (looks to be about a block or so away) and take a cab to the port but I guess we could take a cab over to the Chateau Laurier after dropping off car and still cab to the Port next morning.

MJ

It's a 7 to 9 minute walk between Chateau Laurier and Discount according to Google. Make it 10 just to be sure.

I was talking with someone else that is going to be on the QC>NY cruise, and they mentioned they were looking into getting a canadian SIM card for their phone. Normally on a cruise, I'm happy to turn off my phone and leave it off, and I don't even think about getting local SIM cards because I'll be in a different country every day. With this cruise spending so much time in Canada, I wonder if it's worthwhile.

If I do, which company (I've seen Rogers, Bell and Telus as the primary carriers in Canada) has the best network in this area?

I was talking with someone else that is going to be on the QC>NY cruise, and they mentioned they were looking into getting a canadian SIM card for their phone. Normally on a cruise, I'm happy to turn off my phone and leave it off, and I don't even think about getting local SIM cards because I'll be in a different country every day. With this cruise spending so much time in Canada, I wonder if it's worthwhile.

If I do, which company (I've seen Rogers, Bell and Telus as the primary carriers in Canada) has the best network in this area?
Whose your cell phone provider? I have sprint and I get free international text and data. Phone calls are .20 a minute. I thought most carriers these days offered international service.

Whose your cell phone provider? I have sprint and I get free international text and data. Phone calls are .20 a minute. I thought most carriers these days offered international service.

I use Ting. Up until semi-recently they didn't allow international roaming, but that has apparently changed. It looks like they do offer voice service while in Canada for .30/minute, texts are 12 cents to send and free to receive, and data is 30 cents/mb. So maybe no need to mess with a Canadian SIM.

AT&T let us add Canada and Mexico for free to our plan. I used it all day in Halifax last year to navigate us with google maps in the rental car and we used it in Cozumel and Costa Maya the previous year.

I use Ting. Up until semi-recently they didn't allow international roaming, but that has apparently changed. It looks like they do offer voice service while in Canada for .30/minute, texts are 12 cents to send and free to receive, and data is 30 cents/mb. So maybe no need to mess with a Canadian SIM.
I've been on the same Sprint plan for 8 years. . I was surprised when I went to Europe in 2016 and had service. I didn't have it when we went in 2015. I started getting it on castaway last year and the Caribbean. No problems in Canada either. I haven't paid extra for it. I'm hoping things don't change with the merger.

I'm with Videotron but my stepfather who moves a lot (he's a truck driver) is with Rogers and he's very satisfied.

However, many cellphone companies offer a "passport" that you can apply during your trip and for a few dollars a day, you can use your phone in other countries like you do at home. That's another option.

Saw the phone question yesterday while traveling and thought I would add my little bit of information for US residents using ATT. ATT has several plans, so you need to know which plan you have to know what your options are.
The new Unlimited data plans include free calling and texting while in Canada or Mexico. If you're on one of the Family Share plans or one of the old, ancient unlimited data plans - you sometimes have free calling and texting to Mexico. You CAN get free calling and texting in Canada. If you have one of the Family Share plans, You call the RETENTION department at ATT and ask to add the "free Canada Roaming Bonus." Regular ATT agents usually have no idea what this is. The bonus gets you unlimited talking and texting and 1GB of data while in Canada. People in the States can call you as well. The 1GB of data should be enough to access map apps, etc. My husband has tested it out in Montreal and Toronto without problems. We shall see how it works in the more rural areas.

That is very helpful to know! We are going to just bring some of the merchandise bags from the ship to use while in port for our souvenirs. Is that only for Quebec City or is it for Baie-Comeau and Saguenay as well?

That is very helpful to know! We are going to just bring some of the merchandise bags from the ship to use while in port for our souvenirs. Is that only for Quebec City or is it for Baie-Comeau and Saguenay as well?

In all the province of Quebec. It's a law. Some shops offer thicker plastic bags (that seem to be legal, not sure what they are made of) but they are selling them.

On our cruise (we aren't on Disney but I'm a stowaway on this thread), we board on a Monday but don't actually sail away until Tuesday evening. Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants near the port area? I'm guessing we will probably prefer to eat in Quebec rather than on the ship that first night. We will have been in Quebec for a couple of days at that point (staying in the upper portion of old town) so finding some place in the lower town, near port would be ideal.

Thanks!

On our cruise (we aren't on Disney but I'm a stowaway on this thread), we board on a Monday but don't actually sail away until Tuesday evening. Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants near the port area? I'm guessing we will probably prefer to eat in Quebec rather than on the ship that first night. We will have been in Quebec for a couple of days at that point (staying in the upper portion of old town) so finding some place in the lower town, near port would be ideal.

Thanks!

Since I mentionned it many times on this thread, you won't be surprised to see me recommend the restaurant "Cochon Dingue". ;)

We decided to do the Disney port adventure "A Day in Montreal." Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for lunch around Place Jacques-Cartier? We are doing a tour of the Notre Dame Basilica and then walking over to that area for our own free time, but not sure where a good spot would be to get something to eat. Not sure how much time we will have, so maybe someplace that is quicker? Thanks!

We decided to do the Disney port adventure "A Day in Montreal." Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for lunch around Place Jacques-Cartier? We are doing a tour of the Notre Dame Basilica and then walking over to that area for our own free time, but not sure where a good spot would be to get something to eat. Not sure how much time we will have, so maybe someplace that is quicker? Thanks!

What kind of food do you like (or would you like to experiment?) What is your budget? :)

In the area I am a big fan of Stash Café (polish, not expensive), Bevo (amazing pizza) or Mangiafoco (italian, amazing burrata & charcuteries). "Frites, Alors!" has great poutine.

Last edited:
What day are you doing an excursion to Montreal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter