The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

Can you explain more about the Funicular? Does it come in near the port?
Can Tea at Chateau Frontenac be booked outside of the excursions? The walking tour includes Tea but doesn't look like a full Tea.

The Funicular is a glass elevator that brings you up and down between the Petit Champlain and the Dufferin Terrace... It's 3$ CAD per ride (1 min). ***It's free for wheelchairs*** But you can also take boardwalk (hill) and stairs for free if you prefer.

Do you have infos regarding the Walking tour with tea?

Yes you can book the tea without excursions... It's 42$/pp (CAD) You can book at accueilrestaurant@fairmont.com, just say you want to book the afternoon tea at Chateau Frontenac, which date and how many in your party or use Bookenda. I would book ASAP if I were you.

You can also book a visit of the Chateau. They have a family rate (2 adults, 2 children) for 50$ CAD (Or separately: 20$/adult, 10$/child 6-16 yo, free for children under 6 yo... All in CAD as well) Number to call is 418-977-8977.

If I'm not mistaken, afternoon tea is only offered at the Champlain Restaurant in the Chateau Frontenac on Weekends (Saturday & Sunday). They offer it to groups like cruise excursions on other days.

We are doing the DSL from Quebec to NYC. Staying at the Hilton Quebec. Where would be the best place (cost and convenience to the hotel) to buy bulk of water bottles to bring on the ship?
We will be traveling with a 6 yo. Any recommendation on things to see/ do in Quebec that would entertain that age and be pleasant for adults? We will be in Quebec a day before boarding.
Any recommendations or things to avoid with kids at any of these ports?

The Hilton does have a little convenience store, but I would guess that would not be the most economical. Two blocks down from the Hilton is Rue Saint-Jean. There is a L'intermarche grocery store that is reasonably priced.

Both the Musee de Civilisation and Musee de Fort are both great with interactive exhibits for kids. La Citadelle is very cool and they do a changing of the guard each day at 10, featuring their mascot, Batisse the goat. Take the funicular or steps down to lower town for cute shops, and take a round trip on the ferry to get a water view of the city. There is an Avis counter at the Hilton, you could get a car and visit the aquarium and Montmorency Falls.

If I'm not mistaken, afternoon tea is only offered at the Champlain Restaurant in the Chateau Frontenac on Weekends (Saturday & Sunday). They offer it to groups like cruise excursions on other days.

The info I have is thursday to saturday but it is better to confirm with them.

The new Unlimited data plans include free calling and texting while in Canada or Mexico. If you're on one of the Family Share plans or one of the old, ancient unlimited data plans - you sometimes have free calling and texting to Mexico. You CAN get free calling and texting in Canada. If you have one of the Family Share plans, You call the RETENTION department at ATT and ask to add the "free Canada Roaming Bonus."
Good to know. We are grandfathered into the ATT original unlimited data plan so I'm hoping I can add the Canada/Mexico plan for free.

Yes you can book the tea without excursions... It's 42$/pp (CAD) You can book at accueilrestaurant@fairmont.com, just say you want to book the afternoon tea at Chateau Frontenac, which date and how many in your party or use Bookenda. I would book ASAP if I were you.
Thanks again for the information. We did book the Walking Tour excursion with Tea. I just didn't know if it was a full tea or just a sampler. Guess I'll stay with the excursion.

Thanks again for the information. We did book the Walking Tour excursion with Tea. I just didn't know if it was a full tea or just a sampler. Guess I'll stay with the excursion.

What does the description say?

P.s. Not sure how much the excursion is but it sounds fun (and a good value).

Last edited:

What does the description say?

P.s. Not sure how much the excursion is but it sounds fun (and a good value).

Old Quebec Walking Tour and Tea Chateau Frontenac is a 3-3.5 hour tour for $88 USD. It starts at the Place-Royale, passes Notre Dame des Victoires, continues to Petit-Champlain Street, boards the Funicular and tours the upper town area and stops at Chateau Frontenac for tea, coffee, and pastries. It does sound like the perfect introduction to Quebec but the picture included doesn't look like the elaborate tea I expect from the Chateau. And it seems like the timing of the tour at 1 pm won't allow us to book anything else in the morning. Since we will be on Terrace Dufferin I also would like to do the walkway you mentioned to Les Plaines d'Abraham. But don't know if that would fit in if we left the tour at the Chateau.

Old Quebec Walking Tour and Tea Chateau Frontenac is a 3-3.5 hour tour for $88 USD. It starts at the Place-Royale, passes Notre Dame des Victoires, continues to Petit-Champlain Street, boards the Funicular and tours the upper town area and stops at Chateau Frontenac for tea, coffee, and pastries. It does sound like the perfect introduction to Quebec but the picture included doesn't look like the elaborate tea I expect from the Chateau. And it seems like the timing of the tour at 1 pm won't allow us to book anything else in the morning. Since we will be on Terrace Dufferin I also would like to do the walkway you mentioned to Les Plaines d'Abraham. But don't know if that would fit in if we left the tour at the Chateau.

The Promenade des Gouverneurs that lead to Les Plaines d'Abraham starts on the Terrace Dufferin.

That excursion sounds great though.

What happens after the excursion? Are you leaving Quebec?

I guess you could have time to do it before the tour ... Or maybe after if the tour as long as it is ending with Chateau Frontenac ... but it would not be nice if that would force you to do the same things twice in the same day...

Guys... On a friendly note: whatever you do, do NOT order poutine at Tim Hortons. It is a disaster.

The Promenade des Gouverneurs that lead to Les Plaines d'Abraham starts on the Terrace Dufferin.

That excursion sounds great though.

What happens after the excursion? Are you leaving Quebec?

We are staying at the Delta Hotels by Marriott until 9/28 Going to Montmorency Falls on the 27th. Think we will wander around a little once we get the feel for Old Quebec.

On the 27th we are staying at the Delta Hotels by Marriott and going to Montmorency Falls and Ste. Anne . We fly home to Philadelphia on the 28th.
Thinking we can explore the Old City in our spare time on those days once we get our bearings.

On the 27th we are staying at the Delta Hotels by Marriott and going to Montmorency Falls and Ste. Anne . We fly home to Philadelphia on the 28th.
Thinking we can explore the Old City in our spare time on those days once we get our bearings.

I think the Promenade and Plaines d'Abraham are something you can squeeze in between other activities in the Old Quebec.

I would recommend starting the Promenade at the Citadel/Plaines d'Abraham end and walking down to the Terrace Dufferin, much easier to walk it that way as the Promenade has good number of stairs.

I would recommend starting the Promenade at the Citadel/Plaines d'Abraham end and walking down to the Terrace Dufferin, much easier to walk it that way as the Promenade has good number of stairs.

THIS.

@Tinked I agree 100%. This makes sense especially since you are staying at the Delta.

I got lucky. Airlines moved are departure time up an hour. I called told them it didn’t work for me. The moved us to a flight at 0700 am the next morning. I booked the red eye because it was the cheapest. The flight the next money was double the price. Sometimes booking a flight way in advance and getting a schedule change can work in your advantage.

Still waiting on our room assignment. I know one person here said they got their room. Anybody else get their room or are you still waiting?

We're still waiting for a stateroom assignment. Last time we booked a *GT. we got our assignment about 14 days before cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter