The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

Still waiting on our room assignment. I know one person here said they got their room. Anybody else get their room or are you still waiting?

GTY rooms in a specific category and IGT, OGT, VGT bookings are different. The first one is often assigned sooner than the others. It also depends on when the cruise was booked.

What is more interesting about the location? The difference in price is about 15 usd a night. Really not a factor. The Square Phillips gets really good reviews, but the Embassy Suites is new so maybe it just go off to a rocky start.

Just a follow-up. Not sure if you decided to stay at the Square Phillips but my boss just told me that the very nice italian restaurant that was at the rez-de-chaussée (Trattoria Zia) was closed and replaced with a new restaurant during the summer. I have not tried the new restaurant yet.

Just a follow-up. Not sure if you decided to stay at the Square Phillips but my boss just told me that the very nice italian restaurant that was at the rez-de-chaussée (Trattoria Zia) was closed and replaced with a new restaurant during the summer. I have not tried the new restaurant yet.
We are currently still booked there. I haven't found anything else with that amount of space. It's basically like an apartment with 1100 sq feet. I've toyed with the idea of spending one night in Montreal and one night in Quebec. I've still got some time to finalize everything.

Question: Anyone who has been to Montreal before...would you recommend spending a day in Montreal? We are now debating our excursion to Montreal. It's a 12 hour excursion with 6hr of travel time on bus. Just found out that the Port of Quebec will be celebrating the Disney Magic on September 26 with a celebration and fireworks. (the same day of our excursion). Our excursion doesn't get back until 9:15, so we would miss the celebration. Should we keep our excursion to Montreal and miss the celebration? What would you do if you were in our shoes? We are trying to think of the pros and cons, but any insight would be very helpful! Thanks! :)

Question: Anyone who has been to Montreal before...would you recommend spending a day in Montreal? We are now debating our excursion to Montreal. It's a 12 hour excursion with 6hr of travel time on bus. Just found out that the Port of Quebec will be celebrating the Disney Magic on September 26 with a celebration and fireworks. (the same day of our excursion). Our excursion doesn't get back until 9:15, so we would miss the celebration. Should we keep our excursion to Montreal and miss the celebration? What would you do if you were in our shoes? We are trying to think of the pros and cons, but any insight would be very helpful! Thanks! :)

I live in Montreal so I could be a little biased. ;)

Basically, citizens of Quebec are invited to dress up for a party outside which is ending with fireworks. I honestly don't think it will be much more different than a Sailaway party on the ship (with possibly more people --although it is in the middle of the week which could make it less popular--, depending on the weather).

IMO, visiting a town that I have never visited would beat any fireworks, hands down... But what would you be visiting in Montreal? What does the description say?

I live in Montreal so I could be a little biased. ;)

Basically, citizens of Quebec are invited to dress up for a party outside which is ending with fireworks. I honestly don't think it will be much more different than a Sailaway party on the ship (with possibly more people --although it is in the middle of the week which could make it less popular--, depending on the weather).

IMO, visiting a town that I have never visited would beat any fireworks, hands down... But what would you be visiting in Montreal? What does the description say?

Thanks for your insight! This is what the description reads:
Marvelous Montreal
Take in the sights and beauty of this beautiful Canadian city - home to such marvels as the Notre Dame Basilica and Place Jacques Cartier Square.

On this adventure, you will…

• Sit back and relax during your approximate 3-hour travel via coach to explore the city of Montreal.
  • Arrive in Montreal and the Notre Dame Basilica—a vast structure of Gothic revival architecture attracting many visitors from all around the world. You’ll have a chance to tour the Basilica and learn about its fascinating history and unique ornate interior.
  • After your cathedral tour, walk to Place Jacques Cartier Square for self-exploration and lunch on your own.
  • Re-board your coach for a panoramic and narrated drive through Golden Square Miles, China Town and McGill University as you stop for photos at Mont Royal.
  • Continue via coach to the site of the 1976 Olympics and see a beautiful view of the surrounding area before heading back to the ship.
  • Enjoy the scenic journey on your way back to the pier

Thanks for your insight! This is what the description reads:
Marvelous Montreal
Take in the sights and beauty of this beautiful Canadian city - home to such marvels as the Notre Dame Basilica and Place Jacques Cartier Square.

On this adventure, you will…

• Sit back and relax during your approximate 3-hour travel via coach to explore the city of Montreal.
  • Arrive in Montreal and the Notre Dame Basilica—a vast structure of Gothic revival architecture attracting many visitors from all around the world. You’ll have a chance to tour the Basilica and learn about its fascinating history and unique ornate interior.
  • After your cathedral tour, walk to Place Jacques Cartier Square for self-exploration and lunch on your own.
  • Re-board your coach for a panoramic and narrated drive through Golden Square Miles, China Town and McGill University as you stop for photos at Mont Royal.
  • Continue via coach to the site of the 1976 Olympics and see a beautiful view of the surrounding area before heading back to the ship.
  • Enjoy the scenic journey on your way back to the pier

I haven't seen the Basilica yet. I heard it's nice. I'm supposed to go soon.

The rest of the description make it sound like a nice day... China Town is a little bit "meh" but Place Jacque-Carter, McGill, Mont-Royal, Golden Square Miles and Olympic area are very nice.

Would it be possible to list the restaurants listed in the thread and the good places for Poutine in the first post so they are easy to find? I have no clue where in the thread they are listed. Anyone remember approx. where they were listed? I will start looking through all the pages.

Edited: Nevermind…...I went through the whole thread and picked out the places that were recommended and put them in post below.

MJ

Last edited:
Ok, post #67 has the two restaurants recommended for Poutine. Chez Ashton and Cochon Dingue

Chez Jules is another restaurant recommended.

Just trying to coordinate all the good tips for food!! cut and pasted from different posts.

In my opinion, the best pizza is at Restaurant Bevo in the Old Port.

My favorite poutine is at "Frites, alors!" (There's one in the Old Port right besides the "Centre des Sciences"). And there are "Queues de Castor" (Beaver Tails) pâtisserie near if you like it.

MJ

Last edited:
Doable but tends to be a lot more expensive than returning to the same country. I did the other way (Canada to the US). It was supposed to be a return rental (i.e. bringing it back to Canada), but had to change due to work (and work covered the extra costs).

We booked one way car rentals (picking up at Newark Airport and returning in Quebec City at the Hilton. For a one day rental (24 hours) a minivan was about $275 with all taxes and fees. I have pricing them out for weeks and certain codes offer some deeper discounts but they are all in that general price range.

MJ

I think I mentioned a few times on this board they wouldn't sell. The Canadian cruises just don't for some reason and this one was particularly problematic in that it was a one way cruise. There's a lot of discounts on DCL right now. Even some GT rates in November and December. There also offering EU discounts this Fall which I've never seen before.

This cruise has every discount under the sun being offered.....Fl resident, Canadian resident, GTY, *GT, Military, Travel Agent, CM, etc.

We booked 4 OGT cabins and they were assigned soon after we booked. All four next to each other. We also booked 2 VGT cabins and we are still waiting on those assignments.

MJ

Last edited:
Ok, post #67 has the two restaurants recommended for Poutine. Chez Ashton and Cochon Dingue

Chez Jules is another restaurant recommended.

Just trying to coordinate all the good tips for food!! cut and pasted from different posts.

In my opinion, the best pizza is at Restaurant Bevo in the Old Port.

My favorite poutine is at "Frites, alors!" (There's one in the Old Port right besides the "Centre des Sciences"). And there are "Queues de Castor" (Beaver Tails) pâtisserie near if you like it.

MJ

Some of the recommendations are for Quebec and some for Montreal. Some are chains have locations in Quebec and Montreal. I highlighted them in your comment.

I will make a list on the first post.

Ok, the first post has been updated: I added restaurants recommendations for Quebec and Montreal. :)

Thanks! I just printed out that section and put it in my cruise folder. I also made a note in my calendar to make a reservation at Chez Jules, as that is the restaurant attached to our hotel. I think that will be perfect for our traveling day as we get in later in the afternoon. We are so looking forward to exploring Quebec! Just 40 days away.

I just noticed a few excursion in Quebec City that are sold at a very low price on Tuango. You could look into that.

Anybody get their room assignment this week?
Still waiting. The dcl website is showing very few rooms left.
Hope we were not forgotten!

Ok, so I honestly have no idea what the foliage will look like when you'll get here.

We have been beating heat records all summer and all the trees are still so green here right now (I don't remember seeing this before). Even my collegue who's currently living 2 hours north of Baie-Comeau sent me a video this week and it's all green over there too.

However, the weather is supposed to drop on saturday. Hopefully, the fresh weather is going to work its magic. I'll keep you updated. (My sister lives in Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean so I will inquire about foliage in her area before your cruise so you'll know what to expect.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter