The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

We booked B2B (NYC to Quebec and Quebec to NYC) on opening day for Platinum. Thank you for starting this thread!

The cruise we are taking (not Disney) overnights in Quebec City. We arrive at 8 AM and depart at 2 PM the following day, so we will have a nice amount of time to explore the old town. We were considering getting out of the city for about a half day and I found this 5 hour tour:

http://www.toursvoirquebec.com/en/t...-to-the-montmorency-falls-and-isle-d-orleans/

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I don't know them but it's definitely a great choice when you consider the attractions they make you visit. It's an amazing way to sample what Quebec has to offer (The waterfalls, Île d'Orléans, Ice cider, cheese, etc.).

It's something I would be excited to do. :)

I don't know them but it's definitely a great choice when you consider the attractions they make you visit. It's an amazing way to sample what Quebec has to offer (The waterfalls, Île d'Orléans, Ice cider, cheese, etc.).

It's something I would be excited to do. :)
Thanks! We thought it would be fun to get out of the city a bit and explore the areas around Quebec City. I think we would still have plenty of time to see most of the old town. The only bad thing is this cruise is so far off!!! :).

Thanks! We thought it would be fun to get out of the city a bit and explore the areas around Quebec City. I think we would still have plenty of time to see most of the old town. The only bad thing is this cruise is so far off!!! :).

In my opinion, yes, you'll have enough time for Old Quebec. Especially with an overnight.

Oh and while we are talking about it. To those of you who will be interested in trying "Poutine". There is a hype about Chez Ashton that I don't get. I mean, I was born and raised in the province of Quebec, I eat poutine every week. I was not that impressed with Chez Ashton (not a fan of their sauce). I wish I could suggest you a better place.

I heard Cochon Dingue and Chez Victor poutine were better and it's always been on my to do list but I have not tried it yet.

The criterias for a real good poutine are:

1) french fries made from non-frozen fries

2) fresh from the day cheedar cheese curds made in the province of Quebec (the way to know the cheese curds are fresh: you'll hear a squeek-squeek noise when you chew on it... Before they start to melt of course!)

There will be different kinds of poutine (with bacon, pulled pork, chicken, sausage, etc.) but I suggest you try the original first.

Thank you so much! We had looked at the drive from Quebec and it was about 9 hours, but after discussing what we read in this thread and with your information about the train - we're rethinking about the trip to Niagara and looking at exploring the province more!

I appreciate the pronunciation guide!! I'm sharing it with my family immediately! :-)

1. I have never taken the train to Niagara Falls from Montreal but it would take you a whole day (almost 12 hours)... Are you comfortable with that? Other option: flights from Montreal to Toronto (which is a bit less than two hours from Niagara) are not expensive. You take off, watch a 30 minutes tv show and then you land.

But for the distance between Montreal and Quebec, I would not hesitate to take the train.

2. Both ways are wrong. It's "Kay" (Kay-Beck). QuÉbec. :) There is an accent on the name which changes the pronunciation.

Thank you so much! We had looked at the drive from Quebec and it was about 9 hours, but after discussing what we read in this thread and with your information about the train - we're rethinking about the trip to Niagara and looking at exploring the province more!

I appreciate the pronunciation guide!! I'm sharing it with my family immediately! :-)

If there is anything else you want to know about the province (May I suggest Montreal or Mont-Tremblant?) or the pronunciation, don't hesitate.

If there is anything else you want to know about the province (May I suggest Montreal or Mont-Tremblant?) or the pronunciation, don't hesitate.

I echo the thanks for your help. We were just in Montreal last week and I wish I would have asked you a few questions. We muddled through just fine but I think it's very kind of you to offer your expertise.

I echo the thanks for your help. We were just in Montreal last week and I wish I would have asked you a few questions. We muddled through just fine but I think it's very kind of you to offer your expertise.

If you ever come back, don't hesitate to ask. I read my messages and updates every day on Disboards.

We booked B2B (NYC to Quebec and Quebec to NYC) on opening day for Platinum. Thank you for starting this thread!
There is an option to do Back-to-back? We were interested in the Quebec cruise as we live within 10 hr drive (8 hrs to NYC) but didn't like it has a different start and end point, this means we have to fly.

There is an option to do Back-to-back? We were interested in the Quebec cruise as we live within 10 hr drive (8 hrs to NYC) but didn't like it has a different start and end point, this means we have to fly.
I feel your pain! We booked a 10 night NCL cruise that sails RT to Quebec out of NYC back in Jan for Sep/Oct 2018. We were really excited and looking forward to it. But then Disney offered the 2 one way Quebec sailings and we were really torn. The call of the Mouse is strong. :flower1:

In the end (after much deliberation) we decided to stick with NCL. It avoids the transportation hassles of the one way and while we considered booking both Disney cruises B2B, we decided we didn't really want to just wash, rinse and repeat the ports, shows, menus, etc. Not to mention the cost of doing both of them was pretty crazy compared to what we are paying (for a suite, no less) on NCL albeit for 4 nights less on NCL vs. Disney. I've made peace with it. I'm excited about the ports (NCL goes to PEI as well, which I've always wanted to see), and Quebec just looks amazing. I know everyone will have an amazing time on the DCL Quebec cruises, but I'm pretty sure we will as well on NCL.

Check out the NCL Gem itinerary. After reading your wonderful RCII review I know you are open to other ideas!

I feel your pain! We booked a 10 night NCL cruise that sails RT to Quebec out of NYC back in Jan for Sep/Oct 2018. We were really excited and looking forward to it. But then Disney offered the 2 one way Quebec sailings and we were really torn. The call of the Mouse is strong. :flower1:

In the end (after much deliberation) we decided to stick with NCL. It avoids the transportation hassles of the one way and while we considered booking both Disney cruises B2B, we decided we didn't really want to just wash, rinse and repeat the ports, shows, menus, etc. Not to mention the cost of doing both of them was pretty crazy compared to what we are paying (for a suite, no less) on NCL albeit for 4 nights less on NCL vs. Disney. I've made peace with it. I'm excited about the ports (NCL goes to PEI as well, which I've always wanted to see), and Quebec just looks amazing. I know everyone will have an amazing time on the DCL Quebec cruises, but I'm pretty sure we will as well on NCL.

Check out the NCL Gem itinerary. After reading your wonderful RCII review I know you are open to other ideas!
I will check it out!
We would not do the B2B anyway, not during the school year plus for the reasons you mention.
If this cruise began and ended in Quebec, or NYC then for sure I would be all over it because as you say... the call of the mouse is strong ;)

If you ever come back, don't hesitate to ask. I read my messages and updates every day on Disboards.
Do you have a suggested itinerary for a land-based Quebec trip? That was what I had hoped to do this summer, but instead we are visiting our former home for the sake of our kids. DH speaks French, so we're good on that front. :) I was very drawn to Quebec City when initially tossing around places to go in North America, and it seemed a shame to not also visit Montreal, but I would love to hear your take on the best towns, landmarks, etc to go!

editing to add: Not going this summer just means I have more time to plan b/c it IS going to happen in the next couple of years! :)

Do you have a suggested itinerary for a land-based Quebec trip? That was what I had hoped to do this summer, but instead we are visiting our former home for the sake of our kids. DH speaks French, so we're good on that front. :) I was very drawn to Quebec City when initially tossing around places to go in North America, and it seemed a shame to not also visit Montreal, but I would love to hear your take on the best towns, landmarks, etc to go!

editing to add: Not going this summer just means I have more time to plan b/c it IS going to happen in the next couple of years! :)

Just so you know, if you decide to make a trip to Canada this summer, there will be festivities for our 150th birthday of various sorts.

Just so you know, if you decide to make a trip to Canada this summer, there will be festivities for our 150th birthday of various sorts.
aww man, now I'm extra-bummed! Our comparatively boring plans for this summer are set, I'm afraid, and we're nowhere close enough to potentially drive.

My favorite towns/places to visit in The province of Quebec and my favorite spots are (I will try to add a few pictures later):

-Montréal (Old port of Montreal, avenue Laurier & the mile-end if you like cute boutiques and cafés with a personality, the Mont-Royal Parks, Biodôme de Montréal --it's like a small zoo where they recreated various climates, it's nice and doesn't take much more than 1 hour to visit--, Botanical Garden... at night during fall season they have Jardins de Lumière attraction which are chinese lanterns... Gorgeous!!!, the Planétarium is nice, La Ronde if you like small and old Six Flags theme parks (I love it!!!).

-Québec (Old Port of Quebec, Plaines d'Abraham, Chutes Montmorency,Fortifications de Quebec, Parc des Champs de bataille) Please note that I don't have pictures from Quebec because the last time I visited I did not have a good cell phone or camera to take pictures with but just google it... It's fantastic.

-Mont-Tremblant: the Village Piétonnier, which is what Downtown Disney/Disney Springs would look like if it was at the base of a mountain. Nice boutiques, some amazing restaurants over there. The ambiance is just fantastic and the decor... The whole Laurentides region is mountains after mountains, the foliage during fall makes it absolutely magical. If you like trekking too, this is a good place to go as it offers the best of both worlds. It can be very romantic and family friendly. Also, they have the cutest mini-golf I've even seen.

-Saguenay: the fjord, the fjord, the fjord. I am not sure what other attractions will be available over there, make sure to give me the list of what they offer and I will tell you. Most of my memories from living in the Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean region are mainly doing road trips once in a while and going to St-Gédeon's Beach (which never happen during fall). There are amazing cheese shops over there, and the blueberries are the stars of the region. People only speak french there but they are very nice and friendly. I don't have much pictures from there either. It's a shame.

You might have noticed that I did not name much museums and kids attractions. DH and I are childfree and not really into museums, that being said, if that is something you are interested in, I can give you recommendations based on what you are looking for.

You may have also noticed that there are other places I did not name, it's because I did not experienced it for myself (like Charlevoix and Gaspésie). I know about it because family & friends lived over there or visited and I've seen pictures.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter