The One Day Trip: Has anyone else done this?

I did!

As an AP holder I got an offer to visit Pandora prior to it being open to the public. I think the email came around December so I reserved the preview day. I honestly didn't think that I would get to do it, as it was on May 18th a Thursday (school day).

I never discussed registering for the preview day with my wife until May 17th, the day before! She and I decided that I should go and surprise my older son (15) with a trip. I booked the tickets at 11:30 p.m. then got out the magic bands. Then make FPs for the Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl and It's Tough to be a Bug.

I shook him awake at 4:30 am and told him he had to get into the shower quick because he needed to get ready because we needed to get in an Uber. Amazingly he didn't ask until after getting out of the shower where we were going. I told him on a surprise trip.

We flew out of Newark at 6:00 am and were in our rental by 9:05 am. I do highly suggest one of the companies that allow you to preregister and go directly to the car.

Our Pandora entry wasn't until 2 pm and the FPs I made were for 4:00, 5:00 and 6:00 pm. So we decided that we should head to MK for a little bit. I just checked the time stamp on the photo of us waiting for the ferry at 9:52. We were able to ride Space Mountain, People Mover, Buzz Lightyear and the Carousel of Progress plus grabbed a quick early lunch at Cosmic Rays. Then we headed to AK.

We toured Pandora. We enter almost exactly at 2 and since there were hardly any people it was a pleasure. We were given a one time FP for FoP and you could go on the river ride as many times as you'd like. We ate in restaurant there which we though was delicious and then headed out to do as much as we could in the rest of the park.

Our flight was scheduled to go home at 7:30. I was glad that I checked the app since it was delayed until 8:40. This allowed us to extend our time a bit longer. We left AK at about 7:00 pm, had a quick drive to MCO and easy time returning the rental. The flight was further delayed until 9 and we got home safely.

The worst part was waking my son up for school the next day.

I'd say if you can do, you should. It's SO much fun!

I do highly suggest one of the companies that allow you to preregister and go directly to the car.

This is a wonderful suggestion, do goubjave any examples of rental places that do this? I have a reservation with EZ Rental through Priceline but can cancel and change anytime between now and the day before I go. I would much prefer a rental company where I can bypass check in.

This is a wonderful suggestion, do goubjave any examples of rental places that do this? I have a reservation with EZ Rental through Priceline but can cancel and change anytime between now and the day before I go. I would much prefer a rental company where I can bypass check in.

If my memory is correct, we used Dollar but I think that they require you set up the "go directly to the car" service at the counter so if you don't already maybe you can set it up at a location near home.

I think that Alamo allows this with you being able to do the entire thing online prior to the trip.

I suggest that you contact the actually rental car counter at MCO to get the scoop.

I just have to add that hearing about you doing this has got me thinking I should be doing this again with the other kid. Going to look at flights now......

I think that Alamo allows this with you being able to do the entire thing online prior to the trip.

Rebooked car with Alamo, got "skip the counter" all checked in! The only question is, how do you get your keys? lol

Rebooked car with Alamo, got "skip the counter" all checked in! The only question is, how do you get your keys? lol

The keys are in the cars! Pick a car in your booked category, get in, drive to the exit, show them your paperwork, drivers license and credit card at the booth, drive away! So easy, so fast!

The keys are in the cars! Pick a car in your booked category, get in, drive to the exit, show them your paperwork, drivers license and credit card at the booth, drive away! So easy, so fast!

I've never rented a car at an airport before, thank you for this info! I am more excited than I was when I booked it! I hope you all stick around and follow along for my One Disney Day Feb 6th!:)

My husband and I did this last May. We flew in at night, went to the MK the next day, got back to the resort around midnight and caught the Magical Express at about 5:00am. To make it more fun, we decided to do every attraction at the MK on our day (nothing was closed for refurb).

Not the same, but I'm still excited. Flying in for a long weekend the end of September. Plan on doing MK and AK one day, and HS and EP (Food and Wine) the second day!

I drove down from Michigan New Years eve, Saw the Midnignt fireworks in Atlanta as I was heading down I-75. Spent new years day at MK and Epcot, then took a 2 day drive back home with a stop in Chattanooga.

I haven't done that to Orlando but I have to Disneyland in California from Pittsburgh but stayed over 1 night. I needed to get miles on Delta to keep my Medallion status. I found a flight for around $200 roundtrip, used my Hilton points to stay one night at Homewood Suites and then flew home on Sunday. It was around early December so I got to see the Christmas decorations. The nice part of it is I was upgraded to first class both ways. I had an annual pass, so no ticket costs. Interesting way to spend a weekend.

For Orlando, I used to travel there frequently for business (I'm a trainer). I almost always found a way to slip into WDW for an evening or added an extra day to the trip (hotel at my expense). I miss those days, we no longer have an office there.

I've never rented a car at an airport before, thank you for this info! I am more excited than I was when I booked it! I hope you all stick around and follow along for my One Disney Day Feb 6th!:)

It's especially nice renting in Orlando because the garage with the rental cars is just across the drive from baggage, so no need to take a shuttle to the rental area (like most airports).

I can't see myself flying to Florida for a one day trip unless it was for a really special event, but good luck to you! We did one day at Disneyland when DD and I were in CA for a sports tournament and looking at colleges

Not the same, but I'm still excited. Flying in for a long weekend the end of September. Plan on doing MK and AK one day, and HS and EP (Food and Wine) the second day!

Which weekend? I'll be there end of September too!

Closest to this for me will be in November, we will spend one night at AoA before our cruise.

Your idea sounds like fun though!

I'll be at Disney 9/29 and 9/30 :-). Can't wait. I'll be impossible to work with for the next 7 weeks. Yes, I counted today :-).

The 29th I'll be at MK then HS and the 30th I'll be at AK early, then He, then NO for happily ever after if you wanna high five :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter